Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:51 am

Well, there're lots of wannabes? :idk:

Also:

https://reverb.com/item/55996433-custom ... r-eurorack

:idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jero » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:56 pm

The reminder that I should have kept my MF Ring
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:51 pm

details on the new Red Panda:

RPL-109 is a ring modulator and frequency shifter with an LFO and key tracking. It does a few things we haven't seen before in a ring mod. We have long lead times on parts and no release date yet to announce.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeoQbk9MKuM/
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:51 pm

:snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby backwardsvoyager » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:55 pm

oh nice! I always liked the tracking on the subdecay vitruvian mod but it's a bit of a one-trick pony. tracking + LFO + freq shift is gonna make this hard to pass up :snax:
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:06 pm

:eek: :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ivoiiovi » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:21 pm

What do people here think the most comprehensive and flexible ring modulation is in pedal form? I own three (Feber, Randy's Revenge, and Outer Rings 2) and love them all for their flavours, but setting up ring modulation in the Eurorack section of my rig just allows so many flavours of nasty when you can create so many different carrier signals and it kind of sucks that in the pedal mode you're usually stuck with a simple sine or square. I know the Way Huge whateveritscalled had a load of different wave shapes but I didn't hear anything from it I liked.
I'm guessing some of you fine folk may know some secrets :)
ivoiiovi

interested
interested

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:41 pm

Nice ring mods. :love: (Haven't tried the Feber yet, but all the demos sound great.)

Eurorack is gonna beat out pedals almost every time in terms of flexibility. :idk:

I think the Moog MF-102 may come close. (That's not exactly a secret though. :lol: )

Waitin' patiently for the RMA Polybius. :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:45 am

unfortunately, that's a very real divide
part of it may be down to the ethos of modular vs pedals
as you well know, modular is all about giving the user full control over voltage
pedals are trying to supply a user base that is a mixture of tweakers, set-it-and-forget-it, and "if it has more than "x knobs" i'm out types
also - ring mod has a split audience - and in the pedal ecosystem, more of the users are the "give me the bells" type than the "get a mic on that building implosion types"

the moog is straddling, because, duh, moog

i actually find the wayhuge fun, but it leaves a lot on the table

i enjoy the sounds i get from feber and rr and moog, but i have to say, for sonics, i like the RMA best, and it lends itself more to harsher sounds than those three

i was pretty disappointed with the sonic from the ring stinger clone i got

maybe a decent passive ringmod would be more satisfying for you - the Rucci seems decent :snax:

i would love to play around with a pedal that went whole hog with both carriers and modulation though

lately, tho, i'm in the same boat as you - i look to modular more when i'm thinking ringmod b/c of the flexibility
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:25 am

echorec wrote:details on the new Red Panda:

RPL-109 is a ring modulator and frequency shifter with an LFO and key tracking. It does a few things we haven't seen before in a ring mod. We have long lead times on parts and no release date yet to announce.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

:cool:
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:27 pm

Comprehensive and flexible are two directions that can create a really wide (unrealistic) swath of design criteria.

Anything with an external input/carrier override is flexible, then you're just at the mercy of being satisfied with the sonic character of the modulation stage, and the burden of external stuff.

Comprehensive, however, is a can of worms in the pedal format. I mean, the wish-list of add-on functionality that can hang over the root concept of a multiplier/modulation stage can get staggering enough to spill over into multi-effect/analog synthesis realm. Refining that into an approachable user experience is going to result in tossing some shit out the door.

Dandolin wrote:i enjoy the sounds i get from feber and rr and moog, but i have to say, for sonics, i like the RMA best, and it lends itself more to harsher sounds than those three

Chankgeez wrote:Waitin' patiently for the RMA Polybius. :snax:

Thanks for the kind words!

The Monobius does not utilize a standard oscillator/timer circuit to create the onboard carrier; rather, it's a brute force feedback loop using the carrier input gain stage and variable bandpass filter that results in oscillation. That's why there is a somewhat organic range of wave-shape. It's somewhat fiddly though, being able to sink into cut-off and range up into motor-boating, further shifted by the frequency of the bandpass filter. From an engineering viewpoint it's not a good circuit, but I feel like there is enough usability to justify the approach. I believe it is, however, something of an acquired taste with respect to actually playing and using it.

The Polybius is looking more interesting as time goes on. I have a front end designed that is based on three signal aspects as opposed to the standard two. As a function block this opens a few doors, but it's really deeply planted in the issues I touched upon regarding "comprehensive" above, lots of refinement yet to be done.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:02 pm

:D :D :D
:snax: :snax: :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:40 am

So, the Raster alrady does amazing freq shifting, but i am interested-est in this iteration. Will definitely grab it to widen my ringmod choices (currently composed of Bitquest/Feber/Raster2/Zoia and let's not forget the Ring mod reverb in the Atmosphere).

Feber is still the best one in terms of immediacy and tweakability on the fly, but key-trackingin the new RP jawn is making my wildest fantasies run into the hyperpace.. :trippy:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:51 am

Dowi wrote:

So, the Raster alrady does amazing freq shifting, but i am interested-est in this iteration. Will definitely grab it to widen my ringmod choices (currently composed of Bitquest/Feber/Raster2/Zoia and let's not forget the Ring mod reverb in the Atmosphere).

Feber is still the best one in terms of immediacy and tweakability on the fly, but key-trackingin the new RP jawn is making my wildest fantasies run into the hyperpace.. :trippy:

come with me...to the analog section :p
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:13 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear