mechanical guitar funkiness



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby foot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Some bass mechanical madness...
Michael Manring on his Zon Hyperbass with loads of mechanical detuners.

The ever present Les Claypool on the Whamola

That1guy on his "Magic Pipe"

Last one might be a bit of a stretch, but too cool not to post.
Good dealings with: Shanetram, Danolin, sonidero, oldangelmidnight, Strange Tales, greymedicine
foot

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:23 am
Location: The arid zone

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby voerking » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:53 am

you can get far enough into 'prepared guitar' that it becomes pretty much a different instrument...
http://youtu.be/HnUVpiFHhmM

http://youtu.be/866w1wli734

http://youtu.be/oOzinX8e9Pw
voerking

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Saint Louis

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby MrNovember » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:10 pm

So I just learned about this Aspri clip on reverb thing from the latest Show Us Your Junk video:


Naturally, I had to come to ILF to see if anyone had any experience with them and I found this thread. So I had heard of the Gizmotron, but how have I never heard of the Hammer Jammer either?!

Are either of the Aspri clip on reverb or Hammer Jammer any good? Is it weird that I kind of want to buy both of them to slap on a random acoustic guitar in a crazy open tuning?
MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby MrNovember » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:11 pm

voerking wrote:you can get far enough into 'prepared guitar' that it becomes pretty much a different instrument...


MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:57 pm

MrNovember wrote:So I just learned about this Aspri clip on reverb thing from the latest Show Us Your Junk video:

Naturally, I had to come to ILF to see if anyone had any experience with them and I found this thread. So I had heard of the Gizmotron, but how have I never heard of the Hammer Jammer either?!

Are either of the Aspri clip on reverb or Hammer Jammer any good? Is it weird that I kind of want to buy both of them to slap on a random acoustic guitar in a crazy open tuning?


The Aspri is okay. I’ve got one that I’ve had for a while, have never moved on, and have barely used. Now that you mention it and bring it to mind, I’ll try it on my new acoustic. But if it still isn’t thrilling me on that, I can let you have a go.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4248
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 pm
Location: The ungovernable tribal regions southwest of D.C.

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:40 pm

This thing:

https://www.atelierrosenkrantz.com/prod ... lle-bridge

Most obvious application is on an acoustic but may be riggable or something. Very interesting.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4248
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 pm
Location: The ungovernable tribal regions southwest of D.C.

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby MrNovember » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:23 pm

The Passerelle bridge has been on my wish list for ages. I really should just order one, but I really don’t know how much I’d use it. It seems to be mainly marketed to acoustic players, but I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work with electrics, other than the fact that it would push the strings a bit further away from the pickups
MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:12 pm

2x4 lap steel project with another pickup at the nut could make that fun. Or hacking a cheap import lap steel. The trick would be having the sixteenth fret to locate the Passarelle.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4248
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 pm
Location: The ungovernable tribal regions southwest of D.C.

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby friendship » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:22 pm

wamby bar
actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3882
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby friendship » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:25 pm

MrNovember wrote:The Passerelle bridge has been on my wish list for ages. I really should just order one, but I really don’t know how much I’d use it. It seems to be mainly marketed to acoustic players, but I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work with electrics, other than the fact that it would push the strings a bit further away from the pickups


man I had the perfect junky acoustic with a bowed neck and no truss rod I found on the street but I gave it away during a move before I learned about the Passerelle. Got dang it.
actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3882
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby Paul_C » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:39 pm

MrNovember wrote:The Passerelle bridge has been on my wish list for ages. I really should just order one, but I really don’t know how much I’d use it. It seems to be mainly marketed to acoustic players, but I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work with electrics, other than the fact that it would push the strings a bit further away from the pickups


You don't need to go quite as mad as that for the idea to work - I made one years ago for an acoustic out of a small bit of ebony - it has a groove to fit over the fret (16th IIRC) and is vaguely radiussed to fit the fingerboard, with small notches to hold the strings in place - It took me no more than an hour to make and sounds pretty cool.

If I made one for an electric I'd make it a little lower to keep the strings reasonably close to the pickups - you certainly don't have to have it miles off the board.
Paul_C

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:45 pm
Location: Northampton UK

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby MrNovember » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:59 pm

Paul_C wrote:
MrNovember wrote:The Passerelle bridge has been on my wish list for ages. I really should just order one, but I really don’t know how much I’d use it. It seems to be mainly marketed to acoustic players, but I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work with electrics, other than the fact that it would push the strings a bit further away from the pickups


You don't need to go quite as mad as that for the idea to work - I made one years ago for an acoustic out of a small bit of ebony - it has a groove to fit over the fret (16th IIRC) and is vaguely radiussed to fit the fingerboard, with small notches to hold the strings in place - It took me no more than an hour to make and sounds pretty cool.

If I made one for an electric I'd make it a little lower to keep the strings reasonably close to the pickups - you certainly don't have to have it miles off the board.

This actually sounds like a fun little project. Might have to look into sourcing some wood to work with
MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby Phosphene Audio » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:32 am

Some of Christian Blandhoel's creations may apply. I think I first heard of him on the FB Ugly Guitars group. Here is a PDF catalog of a bunch of his stuff:



https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... talog-2021
Phosphene Audio

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby MrNovember » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:43 am

Phosphene Audio wrote:Some of Christian Blandhoel's creations may apply. I think I first heard of him on the FB Ugly Guitars group. Here is a PDF catalog of a bunch of his stuff:



https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... talog-2021

I follow him on Instagram and brought him up in the hack thread awhile ago. I absolutely love his ridiculous creations. I’ve never seen that pdf though
MrNovember

User avatar
Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF
 
Posts: 5268
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: GTA

Re: mechanical guitar funkiness

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:07 am

I had the idea that one of those import double-neck lap steel diy kits could make a cool base for a hacker project: one side “kotar” with the middle bridge, and keep the other side lap steel. But there aren’t 20 on eBay so I’ll have to look at Alibaba if I want to follow that through.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4248
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 pm
Location: The ungovernable tribal regions southwest of D.C.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)



ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.