· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:53 pm

Love a wound G!!!!

Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:43 am

Not sure which thread this belongs in...

Any ideas for inexpensive but cool pedals or musical devices for a Xmas gift? Weird stuff is always good.

Not for ILF Secret Santa, it's for a local pal (but spending a lot would seem weird). I hope I don't blow up anybody's ILF SS ideas. You can DM me if you want to be low key. Maybe I should read the SS thread for ideas?

Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:51 pm

Know what sort of stuff they're into? Other gear, genres, synths? Is it someone who likes playing guitar but would run a mile from a fun synth?

Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:42 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Know what sort of stuff they're into? Other gear, genres, synths? Is it someone who likes playing guitar but would run a mile from a fun synth?

Oh you know, the usual stuff... weird music, super heavy music, noise, synths. He plays bass, guitar and dabbles in synths. One year I gave him a couple of mini devices from Loud Objects, they are like $20 (uh... $29)

https://loudobjects.bandcamp.com/album/noise-toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctvEBfSF7I

An inexpensive but cool pedal or noise maker would be great, but I'm drawing a blank.

Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:03 pm

K2000 wrote:An inexpensive but cool pedal or noise maker would be great, but I'm drawing a blank.

The Brand New Noise looper toys are fun/work well and are relatively cheap.

Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:00 pm

Heraclitus Akimbo wrote:
K2000 wrote:An inexpensive but cool pedal or noise maker would be great, but I'm drawing a blank.

The Brand New Noise looper toys are fun/work well and are relatively cheap.

Aaah i follow them since forever. Their stuff always has that "fun but playable" vibe.. also looks cool just laying on some shelf in a living room.

Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:24 pm

K2000 wrote:Not sure which thread this belongs in...

Any ideas for inexpensive but cool pedals or musical devices for a Xmas gift? Weird stuff is always good.

Not for ILF Secret Santa, it's for a local pal (but spending a lot would seem weird). I hope I don't blow up anybody's ILF SS ideas. You can DM me if you want to be low key. Maybe I should read the SS thread for ideas?

Fender Fatfinger?

Rock Frog ("For Tomorrow's Musicians") :poke:

8 1/2 Inch Frog Guiro XL RIBBITT :p

Chibson USA Wild Whammy :snax:

Lotsa choixes on the Chibson site dontchaknow :excellent:

Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:36 pm

K2000 wrote:Oh you know, the usual stuff... weird music, super heavy music, noise, synths. He plays bass, guitar and dabbles in synths. One year I gave him a couple of mini devices from Loud Objects, they are like $20 (uh... $29)

If you've spent about $60 in the past, is $100 too much?

These Alabs pedals seem fairly crazy for $100. I don't know how durable they are long-term, but they sound better than the Sonicake/Joyo stuff.

This has a nice reverse, solid tape, granular mode, and a swell algo amongst 9 total banks. (if you engage the momentary options, you can do some wild ramping/feedback stuff)

https://www.amazon.com/ALABS-TIMESLIP-A ... to_dp&th=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H25PJM04scE

Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:06 pm

Yeah I have spent as much as $120 before, but it's kind of too much. About half of that is right, I think. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Fri May 03, 2024 1:01 pm

Sam Ash, after closing a lot of its stores, is now closing the rest:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/sa ... r-AA1o5EGu

Guitar Center's new CEO is seemingly intent on following suit, proceeding from the path of getting out of the business of selling cheap and affordable guitar to non-professionals:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitar- ... r-retailer

So watch for the fire sales.

Sat May 04, 2024 5:40 am

So I ended up getting a used SuperEgo+ (after posting about being interested in one in the GAS-thread) and so far I'm extreeeemely underwhelmed. I'm gonna give it more time and a few more chances, but without trying to sound arrogant (and not understanding that taste is very much subjective) I'm struggling to see why people hold it so high. It just has not hit home with me at all, haha. I feel the controls are limiting/limited in what they're labeled to do, it never freezes the way I want/hope for (yes, I'm aware the problem might be/probably is me :lol: ) and just doesn't sound very fun. Fx loop doesn't help with I wanted either. Had a HOG twice and loved it the first time, the second time I couldn't find the magic in it again, and in general maybe the freeze effect just has become to inflated for me over the years. Yeah, we'll see. More time, was it? :facepalm: :idk: :p

Sat May 04, 2024 9:09 pm

Gone Fission wrote:Sam Ash, after closing a lot of its stores, is now closing the rest:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/sa ... r-AA1o5EGu

Guitar Center's new CEO is seemingly intent on following suit, proceeding from the path of getting out of the business of selling cheap and affordable guitar to non-professionals:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitar- ... r-retailer

So watch for the fire sales.

Fire sales at Sam Ash I do not forsee in happening, as any blowouts in the past were always driven by the companies providing the product for the next iteration of XYZ (at least Elektron finally figured out how to squash that....for now?). More of a Tuesday Morning going of business style, which means just OK but still overprixed gear that you probably already have being sold at ticking percentages until the place is emptied, and lots of Yellow Submarine Beatles socks (never 2 early fer ILFSS 2025), never worn!

Had a weird feeling last visit to GC when I finally found that Ernie Ball Sabre-toothed lyger unlocked a free to roam around, along with Frankenstrat, et al, but I support that decision that 123-CrazyfishedCEO has for upword mobility, or w/e., since the local GC is all blooz lawyers huffin n' puffin during their lunch breaks. Serves 'em rite?

As for cheapies, I found a local store nearby recently tucked away in a strip mall loaded to the gills with guits, with only a handful under $300, all the rest around $2k average prix. Yes, they had a cozy couch and area rug with a mood lamp n' boutique amp on standby (just like John Mayer's house, but with less hidden cameras), with the back wall full of accessories & necessities. All the other lower tier gear they moved were mountains of player packs in a corner, which they offered to set-up for an extra $55. Can GC stomach that set-up offer? We all know the actual trooth, ruth, and it is wearing Yellow Submarine socks.

Addendum: if pretty good quality knockoffs abound on Amazon with hassle-free returns (most of the thymme), is this the end of the cheap choppin-store era? Wheel I ever get used to paying $100 for shipping a ZAZARAC brand guitar from Newfoundland BC (it's still 1948 in mein heart) just because someone added matching Planet Waves tuners and voided the warranty? Will Gretsch ever make another guitar that is actually playable ever again? And if the sky is crying, how many additional zeros will Gibson add to their Les Paul JR SR Rhythm before I drop a few car payments on actual vaporware (tap 4 pay anythymme)?

Ultimate addendum: just add a few shop cattes, GC & PROMBLEMS: SOLVVED :hobbes:

Tue May 07, 2024 11:24 am

PanicProne wrote:So I ended up getting a used SuperEgo+ (after posting about being interested in one in the GAS-thread) and so far I'm extreeeemely underwhelmed. I'm gonna give it more time and a few more chances, but without trying to sound arrogant (and not understanding that taste is very much subjective) I'm struggling to see why people hold it so high. It just has not hit home with me at all, haha. I feel the controls are limiting/limited in what they're labeled to do, it never freezes the way I want/hope for (yes, I'm aware the problem might be/probably is me :lol: ) and just doesn't sound very fun. Fx loop doesn't help with I wanted either. Had a HOG twice and loved it the first time, the second time I couldn't find the magic in it again, and in general maybe the freeze effect just has become to inflated for me over the years. Yeah, we'll see. More time, was it? :facepalm: :idk: :p

I love the OG Superego and thought the polyphonic attack and decay controls on the + would be an improvement but I had to get rid of it because the effect volume was too quiet. I guess it got to unity but just barely and I wanted a bit of a boost. The extra effects didn't do anything for me.

Wed May 08, 2024 2:54 pm

Everyone's different and I've never tried a +, but the original superego is the only freezey type thing I really get. For me it does just work in exactly the way I want :idk:

Thu May 09, 2024 6:19 pm

And Sam Ash has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. That's restructuring, not liquidation. https://chainstoreage.com/sam-ash-files ... e-business

We'll see if any recognizable husk remains. Some of its captive brands (Samson and Hartke, for instance) might live on in others' hands, but even if the name lives on, one wonders if it has anything to do with the family.
Post a reply