The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby K2000 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:51 pm

Why is the Sunny Day Delay so popular here? I think I was absent from ILF when that pedal was being discussed the first time. Is there a Cliff Notes for SDD?
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:43 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:has anyone made a pedal called Ned Flangers (i will not google this)

Stupid sexy flangers.
solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:38 pm

K2000 wrote:Why is the Sunny Day Delay so popular here? I think I was absent from ILF when that pedal was being discussed the first time. Is there a Cliff Notes for SDD?

I just posted a bit about SDD vs ILF-DD in the new gear thread.

When the SDD launched, Dr. Scientist was still pretty low profile. They’re still a small shop, but they weren’t particularly known and were pretty niche. (Was it the Bitquest that raised their profile?) We got it early though, and Ryan had a pretty active builder’s subforum here and used to do stuff like offer people birthday discounts. So they were ours and they always had a quality edge over most of the other stuff out there—better concept, better engineering, better execution—so people really liked what they got.

I think the SDD developed a following because it just sounded better than other PT2399 delays that other builders were doing. The ILF-DD took forum feedback and wishlists and made it better.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:45 pm

Gone Fission wrote:(Was it the Bitquest that raised their profile?)

I think bitquest was a big leap for him petty sure thats how i found out about him. i think? it may have been elements, i feel that has been pretty popular for a pretty long time outside of drsci's circle.

I feel like Atmosphere gave him a lot more exposure on instagram and stuff so it may also have caused a lot of people catch on. People eat up anything that's a reverb these days
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:44 am

qersty wrote: People eat up anything that's a reverb these days

That's so true.

Though I agree with the Bitquest etc, I felt like the Atmosphere didn't get much attention compared to a lot of other reverbs in the same price/feature range. :idk:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby K2000 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:08 am

I was playing guitar through a Ditto Looper for the first time in a while. When I would engage the Ditto to start recording a loop, the signal lost a lot of high end, and sounded dull and crappy. And the recorded loop sounded the same. I've never noticed this before when using the Ditto (but I rarely use it). As soon as I engaged the Ditto, it sounded like crap.

Maybe a signal chain issue? The last thing in my chain is a Boss OD (I heard Boss buffers can compensate for long cables, loss of high end etc, but I don't know). And an old Boss HM2 (battery) is early in the chain.

It was cold in the practice space but that shouldn't matter (?) I walked there in freezing weather with the Ditto in my pocket.

This is my signal chain, if that makes any difference (sorry for boring everyone with the details):

Guitar ---> Tone Bender (battery only) ---> Boss HM2 ---> Noise Ensemble ---> Seppuku Kompact Kassette ----> Count to 5 ----> BYOC Vibrato ----> Boss volume pedal (plastic) ----> Moor mini delay ----> Ditto Looper ----> BYOC analog delay ---- Boss OD ----> toob amp

I only use a couple of pedals at the same time (one dirt pedal and a delay usually).

What am I doing wrong?
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Pepe » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:11 am

K2000 wrote:This is my signal chain, if that makes any difference (sorry for boring everyone with the details):

Guitar ---> Tone Bender (battery only) ---> Boss HM2 ---> Noise Ensemble ---> Seppuku Kompact Kassette ----> Count to 5 ----> BYOC Vibrato ----> Boss volume pedal (plastic) ----> Moor mini delay ----> Ditto Looper ----> BYOC analog delay ---- Boss OD ----> toob amp

How can that be boring? That board rocks! What's a Noise Ensemble? And which BOSS OD do you have there?
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:15 am

Noise Ensemble is a DIY circuit using the PT2399 for fuzz and time and modulation chaos, kind of a self-help go at a MidFi pedal. (I think the originator is a diystompboxes user, Anchovy or perhaps a different spelling.)

I’ve been guessing that the Dirge Electronics Slowly Melting is derived from the Noise Ensemble, but that’s pure speculation.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:42 am

I think that's right... the Slowly Melting seems to be a Noise Ensemble with additional controls. I'm not sure though.

My board makes me (terrible guitar player) seem like a genius, or certainly less terrible. Guitar hasn't been my main instrument, so I'm trying to get better.

The Boss OD is the FB-2, the Feedback-Booster. That was an "open box" buy on Reverb kind of randomly (I wanted a Boss OD) and the price was right (maybe $60?) A couple years later it blew up in price because apparently Doyle Bramhall (I know... who?) likes it. It sounds nice and it's easy to use. I don't use the feedback function, that part isn't so great.

Anyhoo, why does the tone change so badly when I step on the Ditto? Is that a common experience that the Ditto sounds like poop in certain situations?

K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Pepe » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:06 am

Aaaaaah! An FB-2! That's the one that got away from me. I wanted to purchase one, but money was short at the time when it was on the market. It wasn't in production for a long time.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:45 pm

Apparently ambulatory butter sculpture Josh Scott of JHS has hyped the Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive for his flying monkey minions. If you’ve had one you hated but haven’t flipped because it seemed like too much hassle for $29, now might be the time: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=ba ... and-pedals
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:12 pm

:lol: :facepalm:

What kind of drugs're those? :trippy:

https://reverb.com/item/66972152-digite ... 000s-green

$865,785.99
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby coupleonapkins » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:30 am

Chankgeez wrote::lol: :facepalm:

What kind of drugs're those? :trippy:

https://reverb.com/item/66972152-digite ... 000s-green

$865,785.99

For posterity's sake :!!!:

Mark Febbo wrote:Pedal has not been used so much because I like my Klon better. Bought this bad monkey new sometime in the 2000’s when rock music started to suck real bad. Also I like my Klon klones better. And the Dude. And the Nobles ODR Mini. But… It’s cool cause of the graphics and color and cause it was on JHS pedal show and Josh is smarter than you and can make it sound like a Klon, or basically whatever else you like. Also Monkeys. Because they disobey the rules and don’t do that stupid “ie” spelling suffix. No box. But does come with all accessories shown in photos: pocket knife, plastic fork, diarrhea pills, Apple Air Pods case (and one Air Pod; one Air Pod missing), REI catalog, my Karma ran over my dogma decorative pin, Hard Rock Cafe shot glass circa 1996, and Ice Breakers mints (empty).

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby moozz » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:51 am

March 15-16 the prices of Bad Monkeys sold on Reverb have been between 135 and 215 EUR (sorry for the weird currency, EUR = USD approx). Before March around 60 EUR. Do people really need whatever pedal the JHS show features immediately and that badly? Didn't Josh even say do not buy it right away but wait a few days :) How many days until you can get Bad Monkeys for $50 again? 10? 50? Never?
moozz

involved
involved

Postby coupleonapkins » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:27 pm

moozz wrote:March 15-16 the prices of Bad Monkeys sold on Reverb have been between 135 and 215 EUR (sorry for the weird currency, EUR = USD approx). Before March around 60 EUR. Do people really need whatever pedal the JHS show features immediately and that badly? Didn't Josh even say do not buy it right away but wait a few days :) How many days until you can get Bad Monkeys for $50 again? 10? 50? Never?

Like a year after the Digitech Distortion Factory debacle (are all JAcheYves vids this effective toward the gear duds out there?), those are still in the $130-160 range, but there was a window of cheapness I forgot about, as tends to happen when seemingly useless garbage of yore is "rediscovered" as pure genius. So maybe not? As far as other legendary Digitech sleeperz, what's left? The Blues Screamer? The Crossroads? The Lyra? The Dan Donegan Onagain Offagain? I mean The Weapon? One of those is still cheap, but for how long!?!?! Like real estate, God (Jason Lamb RIP, et al) ain't makin' anymoore of 'em! ::snax::

Honest advice: just buy a cheap Digitech Death Metal before it's 2 late :facepalm: :erm: :cool:

Let's all just hope he doesn't post a video extolling the virtues of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix anytime soon, but Yacht Schøtt :::feels::: more like a Pillsbury guy to me :eek:

Bigger question: why hasn't any of these time wasters put their tax-frees toward reintroducing something that, given a reissue, could heal the world once & for all?

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear