· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:03 pm

https://reverb.com/item/46226544-godwin ... 1976-black

i know this is pointless, but every time i see this thing my inner knob dweeb runs through a kaleidoscope cycle of all the fainting gifs on the internet in its helpless mind's eye....

Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:39 pm

so the knobs aer insteead of drawbars?

Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:49 am

Last night I had a dream where I was let into the employee breakroom at some pedal company or other and they had a great big stack of a new Montreal Assembly pedal called the Badger. It was the size of a PurPLL, but it looked more like a Caline pedal--plain white, with BADGER in black with a black graphic of a badger's underground den. One main tunnel with three tunnels branching off. It was some kind of routing pedal, like a fancy Boss LS-2, with some built-in effects.

Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:53 am

Found a Squier Bullet Mustang (third wave, methinks/the blue HH), played it for 45 minutes & bought it on the spot. Couldn't keep my paws offit! Either it was set-up fresh (store guy was like" ...who even would do this sorcery?") or just a fluke?

Aside from those headless Ibanez guitars (which are annoyingly low quality for being extremely 'spensive....somehow), this is the lightest full-scale (ahem) guitar I have ever played. Never thought I would find myself in thee throes of a short scale top loading Mustang of any sort, but :trippy: Tiny, beautiful slab o' wood (w/ respect 2 hazel).

Trying to justify and/or find a cheap pair of Deathbuckers, which should obviously not exceed what I paid 4 this guitar....or else :zen:

Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:06 am

The Bullet and now Sonic Mustang are really grabbing my eye. Squier’s mid to upper level has been a known good thing for a while, but these seem to be legit. Too bad I’m already pretty loaded up with guitars.

Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:51 pm

i'm really trying not to buy guitars. i bought a Squier Mustang Bass because i've needed one for ages and am probably going to upsize my main board, but i sincerely have more electric guitars than i know what to do with and can't justify others unless they have types of pickups i don't already have and which i want (i'm not interested in e.g. Telecaster pickups or deathbuckers). which means most of the cool Squiers are out, because i have multiple humbucker guitars, multiple guitars with Strat/Strat-esque pickups, 2 guitars with P-90s (Gibson and Franz types), a Jazzmaster, and Gretsches with Dynasonics and Filtertrons. i'd like to try the old Guild small humbuckers from the 50s-60s, Burns TriSonics, vintage gold foils, and cunife Fender WRHBs, and have a set of Hofner "staple" mini-hums waiting for a project. i confess, though, that i've always had a perverse desire to put a doom-bucker in a Squier pink Hello Kitty Strat and use if for slide and/or weird tunings.

Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:08 am

dubkitty wrote:i'm really trying not to buy guitars

Absolute same, but I've been picking up $100 guitars here & there since spring (just three...I promise!), which is a bad habit to acquire. But when they're cheapies listed without mentioning the obvious pickup upgrades (usually double the cost) or otherwise, that is my breaking point. But shopping online like that can only be justified by the appropriate cannibalism to future guitars that feel/fit perfectly, so maybe I'll just be happy with a Sentient/Nazgul set that's already in another guitar & call it a day.

Meanwhile, amidst all the goodness, I had a great idea for a future build, which probably won't happen (haha, unless.....), but it'll always be on the backburner, a la the mostly misunderstood Les Paul Junior Rhythm:

Loves me a rhythm circuit, so maybe I'll just stick something in the neck and leave the bridge blank, like a reverse Goroth :)* :dance:

Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:12 am

I've thought of doing that to my duo sonic but now way too many of my instruments are in need of attention. Noticed the neck screws doesnt catchon my yamaha bass...

Wonder if one of those mini squier necks would intonate on a duo sonic

Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:06 am

i happen to own a Duo Sonic conversion i got on Reverb that a guy cobbled together from a Squier Vintage Vibe DS body and a Mini Strat neck. it plays in tune as well as any other guitar with a 3-saddle Fender bridge. i can't say for sure that it would work on the newer Fender bodies, but i can't see why not especially since the Fenders have more travel on the saddles for intonation adjustments. i love it to pieces because it's so easy to play, and the Duncan Antiquity Duo Sonic pickups are lovely.

duosonic.jpg
duosonic.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:13 am

that looks promising!

Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:47 am

coupleonapkins wrote:
Loves me a rhythm circuit, so maybe I'll just stick something in the neck and leave the bridge blank, like a reverse Goroth :)* :dance:

:barf:

Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:34 pm

goroth wrote:
coupleonapkins wrote:

:barf:

Ewe gotta go big or get lost inna splash zone'd :cry: :summon: :zen:

Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:00 am

Ordered the last piece for a pedalboard I’m building for my brother who started playing electric again, a Xvive Echoman. Got a PT Nano Plus and a TrueTone CS6 for power, and I laid out some spare stuff I have on it: tuner, Empress Nebula, and mini-sized TS and OCD clones. He has amp reverb and there was space and a power tap for at least one more, and my spare-ish delays weren’t as straight forward. Seem like a solid normie starter board.

Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:53 pm

The Echoman came in. It’s pretty dang cool for $65-ish. Matches well to my memory of the Pigtronix Constellator, which the interwebs has it is a slightly improved version of the same. I’ll have to look back into the gripe with the Xvive that the Pigtronix fixes—something about running the echo level very high? Anyway, the Rubberneck remains my forever BBD delay, but this is perfect for the small starter board.

Which is assembled and working! I need to tidy the power cables with some zip ties and nail down my best guess at dialing it in, but I’m happy with this. Thank FSM the Velcro strips went down after I drilled the mounting holes for the CS6. I had the template backwards the first time and had one hole at the edge of a rail, and when I flipped the template the wrong way, I still had to file the wholes to work. I get why the Cioks mounting brackets are so popular now. FFS.

Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:16 pm

i tried monel strings on my telecaster. i'm sure a metallurgist could have told me this but the four wound strings are so much quieter than the plain steel ones! but it has proved that i want a wound G on this particular guitar, treat it like an acoustic that can get fuzzy.
Post a reply