Setup of the day thread?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Setup of the day thread?

Postby MaxMaps » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:53 am

Darcy!

Totally in love with music corner! The mixing desk with the pedals underneath is freaking sick.

I also love your gear collection ( and could probably read 20 more ..... because GAS)
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:14 pm

Heraclitus Akimbo wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:
Looks like a good time if I ever saw one!!!

It was indeed. Bonus setup: recording session for a new electroacoustic duo last night:

Sound sources included Electro-Faustus Blackfly, monotron, Søvnløs. Plus I brought a Pauline Oliveros-inspired piece for accordion.

Dayimn!!!! Don't threaten me with a good time. That looks insanely fun. Hope the session went well. Your stuff really speaks to me...I always love where your head is at.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:16 pm

I wish there was a way for us all to play "wife swap" with our setups. Would be a blast to plug into any of these insane setups.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby moozz » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:33 pm

Final setup tweaks and rehearsal for tomorrow's noise gig.
moozz

involved
involved

Postby Eivind August » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:39 am

Excellent setup! :omg:
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby moozz » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:37 am

Unfortunately the PA was weak and there wasn't much low end rumble. Next time with more kick I hope!
moozz

involved
involved

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:20 pm

Got a last-minute offer to fill in at a pleasant little park gig today (with unseasonably warm shirtsleeve weather!) so I put together a very minimalist (by my standards) rig:

solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby friendship » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:10 am

I got really bored yesterday and set up the Minibrute to run MIDI through the D-05 and to the Minitaur, and the audio outputs of all three are running into a submixer. 8 oscillators, 8 LFOs, 8 envelopes, pretty massive sound.
Attachments
IMG_8448.jpg
IMG_8448.jpg (162.68 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:19 am

friendship wrote:I got really bored yesterday and set up the Minibrute to run MIDI through the D-05 and to the Minitaur, and the audio outputs of all three are running into a submixer. 8 oscillators, 8 LFOs, 8 envelopes, pretty massive sound.

Minibrute+minitaur sounds like a huuuge amount of nasty bass. How do you use the drumbrute? One thing I love about it is to route different effect(s) on each individual out and make it a standalone noise rhythm beast.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:14 am

Dowi wrote:
friendship wrote:I got really bored yesterday and set up the Minibrute to run MIDI through the D-05 and to the Minitaur, and the audio outputs of all three are running into a submixer. 8 oscillators, 8 LFOs, 8 envelopes, pretty massive sound.

Minibrute+minitaur sounds like a huuuge amount of nasty bass. How do you use the drumbrute? One thing I love about it is to route different effect(s) on each individual out and make it a standalone noise rhythm beast.

Yeah it's a little overkill haha. In the In this DAWless setup, I'm using the main output and setting up simple grooves with carefully applied randomization so I can "jam" with the drums on guitar. When I use a DAW, all the individual outs get their own input, and I record the MIDI output in tandem. This way, I have discrete analog tracks to play with, and I can also use the MIDI track to replace or layer with samples. I can't get over my love my for acoustic drum sounds, and I have a couple good virtual kits, so this is very handy.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:22 pm

friendship wrote:Yeah it's a little overkill haha. In the In this DAWless setup, I'm using the main output and setting up simple grooves with carefully applied randomization so I can "jam" with the drums on guitar. When I use a DAW, all the individual outs get their own input, and I record the MIDI output in tandem. This way, I have discrete analog tracks to play with, and I can also use the MIDI track to replace or layer with samples. I can't get over my love my for acoustic drum sounds, and I have a couple good virtual kits, so this is very handy.

That's a smart move, and avoids writing drums on midi, which most of the time is just a PITA. The randomization on this one, when used cautiously, is super enjoyable too.
Totally get the love for acoustic drum sounds, but I just love the simplicity of the Impact. Everything is handy and easily tweakable on the fly, so adding a couple extra pedals to spice things up is not a big deal.
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:08 pm

Dowi wrote:
friendship wrote:Yeah it's a little overkill haha. In the In this DAWless setup, I'm using the main output and setting up simple grooves with carefully applied randomization so I can "jam" with the drums on guitar. When I use a DAW, all the individual outs get their own input, and I record the MIDI output in tandem. This way, I have discrete analog tracks to play with, and I can also use the MIDI track to replace or layer with samples. I can't get over my love my for acoustic drum sounds, and I have a couple good virtual kits, so this is very handy.

That's a smart move, and avoids writing drums on midi, which most of the time is just a PITA. The randomization on this one, when used cautiously, is super enjoyable too.
Totally get the love for acoustic drum sounds, but I just love the simplicity of the Impact. Everything is handy and easily tweakable on the fly, so adding a couple extra pedals to spice things up is not a big deal.

Yeah the randomization is great! I like to keep it between 0-3 on the whole kit and then crank it up super high when I want a drum fill for a measure or two. I also love the distortion circuit, it's perfectly voiced for the saturation and compression I like on drum machines, and I love that it's post-fader so the drum level knobs effect how much juice you're getting on each drum. It's a bummer it's not routed for the individual outs, but like you said, adding effects to those is easy and fun. I have a couple other quibbles (would kill for a tuning knob on the snare, even a shared tuning knob for the two! and I wish the tom decay were longer--it goes from extremely short to very short) but all in all it's a really powerful machine, sounds great, and is fun to play! It feels like an instrument.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby John » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:35 pm

These belong to a good friend who is recording an album, and these are the pedals in regular rotation. My mission is to make order from chaos. My reward will be weed.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:19 am

OK, just ballparkin' it:

'69 > Queen Bee > Soul-Bender > Tone Press > is that a wah? > Equalizer > Supa-Trem2 > RC Booster > Astro Tone > Prunes & Custard > La Grange > Carbon Copy > Centaur

(not sure where to place the tuner or the noise gate)

That's maybe how I'd try it. :idk:
Last edited by Chankgeez on Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dowi » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:11 am

friendship wrote: I have a couple other quibbles (would kill for a tuning knob on the snare, even a shared tuning knob for the two! and I wish the tom decay were longer--it goes from extremely short to very short) but all in all it's a really powerful machine, sounds great, and is fun to play! It feels like an instrument.

Tuning knob is a big missing element, agreed, as for the rest is really super fun to play with and along with.
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear