Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby JTurbide » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:19 pm

Wtf :lol:

Bought a control forge on kijiji, should ship tomorrow :yay:
I am now waiting for a control forge and ajh variable mult, gemini dual filter and enthropic doom :!!!:

Thinking a benjolin a wmd switcher matrix would be awesome too :excellent: :cool:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:41 am

JTurbide wrote:Wtf :lol:

Bought a control forge on kijiji, should ship tomorrow :yay:
I am now waiting for a control forge and ajh variable mult, gemini dual filter and enthropic doom :!!!:

Thinking a benjolin a wmd switcher matrix would be awesome too :excellent: :cool:

ooo interested in your thoughts on the Gemini. i've become intrigued by that recently, and looking for a double filter.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby TheStevenLasombras » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:03 am

Ordered a Keystep Pro again*, and constructing a new case (two 84hp rows side by side, angled in, instead of four rows). Psyched for the expanded controls, should end up with much more of a command center. :!!!:

*the first time was an infuriating waste of time with Sam Ash, where they sent me a regular Keystep and I waited on hold for 20 minutes only to be told that they wouldn't send me the Pro, just send back the Keystep and they'd refund me. Could you... please just send me the one I ordered? No.
KRUDLER on Bandcamp for all your noise rock & cinematic synth needs
TOTHENECK on Instagram for recording snippets, artwork, etc.
TheStevenLasombras

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:29 pm

vidret wrote:This is equally dumb and cool

sums up modular! :lol:
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JTurbide » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:37 pm

Gonna trade my General CV for a factory made Orgone Accumulator (v2).
I was looking for a oscillator/sound source like a benjolin or maybe a wmd pdo or synchrodyne but I think the Orgone will be cool. Could not find the other ones used at a good price so...

Will probably order a WMD SSM during the week. Should receive the gemini, variable buffer and control forge during the week too. :yay:
Got the entropic doom, haven't had much time with it but it's pretty cool :)

Edit: ordered the SSM. :excellent:

Double edit:
@coldbrightsunlight : Just received the gemini. I did not get much time with it yet but a thing for sure is it feels great. Quality seems top, knobs have a certain torque to them (not sure that is how you say this but yeah, they are like, stiff, not loose or super easy to turn, whichcI love.).Sound seems great too and with all the outs you get and the center mix bus it is pretty fantastic. Linnaeus and Morhpeus are still interesting to me and I might get them one day but this really is a solid filter and probably one of the best at what it does.
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:44 pm

okayso:

1) i have finally watched enough/so damn many modularsynth vidyas that youtube thinks i would jump on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHIhgxav9LY
[yeah, youtube is 100% actually :lol: ]
and
2) my mind is now doing a major flip-out routine about my modular, in a good way :whoa: :rock:

3) could a probability skipper be of use to me right now? i need to get back to work :snax :idk: :lol:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:02 pm

:lol: beats the "water in a pipe" paradigm :idea:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:11 am

Random question: are there any all-pass filter modules? I feel modular is the one place where a discrete all pass filter without any bells and whistles would exist. I wanted one to make stereo choruses sum better but I saw a vid of a guy running it into distortion and it was a pretty interesting effect.
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:22 am

There are filter modules that include allpass modes (Intellijel Polaris, Doepfer A-101-6 come to mind) but I don't think I've run into a straight, no-other-bells-or-whistles allpass filter module. Usually the selling point is either correcting phase issues, or mixing the allpass with the dry signal to get phase shifter sounds. I agree it can be a pleasant sound on it's own, especially when modulated, but it's fairly subtle (may be part of the appeal for the few/lack of wild popularity? :idea: ).

off-topic: pretty sure the Blackout Effectors Whetstone has a mode where two of the all pass stages are subbed out for low pass stages...in order to give the user an option for an even more subtle phaser.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:38 am

yeah definitely - or sometimes just throwing a passive filter in the loop like the lil Bastl Propust....

speaking of feedback loops, i've been thinking about grabbing an Instruo Tanh as a limiter/saturation add-on to clean delays - but is there anything else similar i should check out?
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:48 pm

Just got a Qubit Nebulae V2 on reverb :joy:

I am now waiting for:
Rossum Control Forge
Qubit Nebulae
Erica Sample Drum
Wmd SSM
AJH variable buffer

:!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

Big spending spree and reconfiguration of my system with the acquisition of an Orgone Accumulator, AJH Gemini and AJH entropic doom like two weeks ago. Sold a few things and have a few more to sell, also I will be 2hp short to fit all my modules so maybe I'll get a bigger pod than the pod30 I have right now or something but yeah... :)*
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Oh man, the Nebulae is one of the modules I really miss from my system. I'll probably end up with one again in the future
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby JTurbide » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:13 pm

I bought it without even realizing there are multiple firmwares like drum voices, synth voices, delay and reverb, chords, fm etc. It is gonna be soooo useful!!! I mostly see myself using the original firmware and delay+verb :)

Oh and I think you can load a few firmwares in it and actually just flip between them by pressing a knob combo or something :joy:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:19 pm

I almost exclusively used the standard firmware, which is just so good! I tried a few others like the delay and reverb and the chord mode, but never really stuck with them.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:44 pm

i liked the Nebulaeessaesea, but i pre-ordered, so had an Early Days model. it had some weird issues. can't remember what those WERE, but remember it being annoying. they're a great company though, sure it's all been ironed out by now.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear