· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

10 fuzzes to rule them all!

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:42 am

Ok, you could only have 10 fuzzes. Not more not less. Which ones would you get? Why? And which manufacturer (if you choose an obsolete classic circuit) would you get.

1. Tone Bender MKI
Just love that sound. The low gain gated stuff rules on chords so hard. My friend said "it's the bomb on chords".
Yeah, Pigdog or Jerms would be my choice of builders.

2. Gnomeratron VTF by McSpunkle
With that i would cover all the muffy ground and beyond. Oscillation, gated, upper octave, filtered, clean blend, clean boost etc. This thing brings it all to you. Awesome piece of gear.

3. Buzzaround
Just a complete different fat and dark sounding fuzz. Perfect if you hat muff sounds. I could be also happy with a Dizzy has just a bit more aggressive treble in it that may be helpful.
Ghost Effects or Pigdog would be a perfect builder.

4. Fuzz Face
Silicon Fuzz Faces sound pretty cool and rock the shit. Probably i'm alone with that but i also like them with less gain. (yes, for more freak out sounds the ss/bs HAWK is also great but no lower gain stuff on this one...)
Eric Johnson Fuzz Face by Dunlop is pretty nice and would be my choice.

5. Fuzzrite
Nasty face ripping stuff, spaghetti western or instant lofi garage tone. This one is the shit.
Infanem there is no future in fuzz would be the choice here. Versatile from fat to thin with a great depth to the grit.

6. Wolf Computer by Mellowtone
Oscillating goodness, gated sounds, decay, fragments, whatever, this is a handy piece and one of my absolute favorite fuzzes. The harmonics and layering is superb. So synthy.

7. Infanem Second Voice V2
The perfect tool to add those second voices, octave down, up or fifth with a rocking fuzz. Add an expression pedal or CV unit and you will nail the Röyksopp sounds with your axe.

8. Algal Bloom by fuzzhugger
It is not comparable to any other fuzz i heard. It has its own thing going on in a very nice way. I liked this one a lot with my Jazzmaster. After i switched to the Tele i was in love. Tele and AB fit so great together. Textures from subtle to in you face. And i really like the normal algal bloom on bass.

9. Scrotum Smasher by Metasonix
A tube fuzz. Nothing sounds like this. Different harmonics, strange gate effects, somehow compressed but so good to play with it and feels like playing a very dynamic tube amp.

10. fuzz factory by ZVex
The only fuzz i sold and i still want one again. So versatile. I think this is already a modern classic. It is a bit on the bright side of the fuzz but nevertheless one that lets you express yourself in an awesome way.

Re: 10 fuzzes to rule them all!

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:53 am

Didn't read your list yet, univalve.

In no particular order, subject to change & descriptions to come later:

Take Flight Pedals The Goose
Basic Audio Fuzz Mutant (Os Mutantes fuzz)
IdiotBox Death Ray Frequency Mangler
SubDecay Noise Box
Sanford and Sonny BlueBeard Fuzz
Basic Audio Gnarly
Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
Ben Adrian Audio Kowloon Walled Bunny (more of a distortion than a fuzz, but it gets a little fuzzy and it usually gets stacked)
Jordan Creator
Jordan Bosstone

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:18 am

GAAAAAAHHHHHHH

this is awesome, realizing as I am making this list that I like seriously bass heavy fuzzes

1. DBA Fuzz War- just so flipping heavy sounding
2. EHX Black Russian Muff- Specifically the dirge modded one I just got, although the one I traded bob the robot a long time ago was particularly awesome
3. EQD Tone Reaper - Green enclosure if I get to pick
4. Zvex Fuzz Probe- Had a luchadore and unloaded it, huge regrets on that one
5. Creepy Fingers Fuzz Fight- should have kept the last one I had
6. EQD dream Crusher- It's my favorite Face
7. Pigtronix Disnortion - THe octave up on this one is one of the best ever (Why did I swap mine!)
8. 2 Knob mellowtone wolf Comp - it's a beast- somebody should sell me one NOW
9. Infanem Second Voice- I think mine is the original version and it crushes
10. Diaboloical Devices Matter Disorganizer - massive fuzz tonez- and another quality octave up

That's my list and I know I will realize I missed something the second I hit submit

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:34 am

1. Tall Font Sovtek Russian Big Muff- It's a wall of complete torment
2. Crowther Prunes and Custard- Had one and I miss it, some sort of weird enveloping driving fuzzy thing that sounds great
3. EQD Monarch- Don't even know if this counts as a fuzz, but the EQ and drive make everything SO HEAVY
4. Verellen Big Spider- Heavy and weird sounding and SUPER ATTRACTIVE and I also miss it
5. EQD Tone Reaper- So raw sounding, I love it.
6. Blackout Blunderbuss- YEAHHHH.
7. Infanem Analog Harmony Synth- So crazy sounding and the filter kicks assss
8. Triangle Big Muff- Whooly as shiiiiii
9. 4MS Noise Swash- As much of an instrument as it is an effect
10. RUSSIAN TALL FONT

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:04 am

No Megalith. Thread fail. Thread FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a bass player, my list would go a little something like this.

1. Prescription Electronics Depth Charge-has the best mix of fuzz and low end that I've heard in a pedal for bass. Very articulate.
2. Mountainking Megalith-Heavy, synth like fuzz of destruction. Will blow anything away that's on your board.
3. Audio Monk Fuzzpotion-Very heavy, loud and articulate as well. Lots of low end with this guy and again will blow your fucking brains out.
4. SS/BS TAFM-with or without gate does not matter. The TAFM loves basses and loves to be turned on and played with. heh. Seriously though. Amazing
5. Blackout Effectors Twosome-Versatile fuzz that can get very muffish to very articulate and it fucking sustains FOREVER. Seriously.
6. Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler-Holy fuck balls is this thing ballsy.

Meh...I can't think of ten. fuck it.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:23 am

I tried.

I really did.

Can't do it.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:56 am

Tone Machine clone - don't care which builder, but I'd like the octave to be on a footswitch
Big Muff (op-amp) - I'm pretty happy with my MadeByMike clone, so I'll just go with that one
Maestro FZ-1A clone - don't care which builder
Harmonic Percolator - either original or clone, don't really care
Mountainking Magnetar
Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer
Dwarfcraft Hair of the Dog
Copilot Orbit
Zvex Machine
Zvex Fuzz Probe

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 pm

So Hard...

1. ss/bs PolyGrace...I miss thee. So many sounds, awesome gate note strangulation, turn a knob a millimeter and an Octave-up jumps out. I would horde it in my room
2. MountainKing Megalith- Big Chunkin Heavies!
3. IE QF2- Copper (cause I play bass)- Super tweakable, 4 bands of fuzz, 10x or 3x gain boost that is footswitchable but doesn't change the volume=WIN
4. Green Tall Font Russian- Had one and I made a dumb trade. MASSIVE sounding.
5. FranTone LoTone- Awesome for some vintage sounding Fuzz, sits in the mix well.
6. ss/bs TAFM w/Gate- a great jack-of-fuzz, like having 2 fuzes with the gate switch.
7. Audio Monk Fuzz Potion_ cool Octave fuzz.
8. MountainKing Magnetar- because the Megalith likes having a pal. Very usable gate.
9. Fuzzhugger BassBloom- Why not, looks dope.
10. FairField Unpleasant Surprise- It can cover parts of the PolyGrace that I like and I would gig with it unlike the PolyGrace.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:38 pm

hey hbomb
just traded my pig disnortion
woulda brought it to your doorstep
im sure you got somethin i wouldve wanted

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 pm

ryan summit wrote:hey hbomb
just traded my pig disnortion
woulda brought it to your doorstep
im sure you got somethin i wouldve wanted

oh I got stuff!!!!!

what did you end up getting for it?

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:05 pm

thats the thing
an emperor 2x12
there was other stuff from my end as well
but i made out pretty good
i still have the aria which i like better

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:36 pm

1. Sanford and Sonny Siamese Beard (two bluebeards in one box with parallel switching options)
2. Sanford and Sonny Bluebeard (just a regular one)
3. Mountainking Megalith
4. Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
5. Superfuzz Clone
6. Verellen Big Spider
7. McSpunkle Gnomertron Mini Octave
8. DMB Bumble
9. Brassmaster clone
10. Earthbound Audio Beast
Now I have serious GAS.....shit.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Damn, this is pretty hard. Not because I can't decide but to actually find ten that are worthy to rule them all. Might go something like this:

SS/BS SuperPuzzle
Mid-Fi Demo Tape
Mountainking Megalith
Mellowtone Wolf CPU (If anyone wants to sell a small one, hit me up)
Harmonic Percolator (not sure which one, Fredric was cool, but maybe there's a better one?)
Fairfield 4 Eyes
Mountainking Ruckus (does this count?)
Creepy Fingers OD850 (Miss that Motherfucker!)
SS/BS TAFM
Ghost Effects Bee Baa (Yeehaa!)

Hm. Got to get some of these guys back. I keep stupidly selling pedals that I don't use.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:58 pm

phantasmagorovich wrote:Damn, this is pretty hard. Not because I can't decide but to actually find ten that are worthy to rule them all. Might go something like this:

SS/BS SuperPuzzle
Mid-Fi Demo Tape
Mountainking Megalith
Harmonic Percolator (not sure which one, Fredric was cool, but maybe there's a better one?)
Fairfield 4 Eyes
SS/BS TAFM

Hm. Got to get some of these guys back. I keep stupidly selling pedals that I don't use.

I already tried this, it aint happening

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 pm

hbombgraphics wrote:
phantasmagorovich wrote:Damn, this is pretty hard. Not because I can't decide but to actually find ten that are worthy to rule them all. Might go something like this:

SS/BS SuperPuzzle
Mid-Fi Demo Tape
Mountainking Megalith
Fairfield 4 Eyes
SS/BS TAFM

I already tried this, it aint happening

I wonder what's up with that. They used to be fairly common. I had big trouble stupidly selling mine because everybody wanted the big ones then, and they flew around bst fairly often. Now none are ever to be seen. :(
Post a reply