· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help gr

Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:34 pm

the_bright_undead wrote:Just picked up a Blue Colander Soot fuzz, arrived from poland today. very wild octave destruction....the craziest octaves! i'm happily overwhelmed.
anybody else try any Blue Colander around here? I also have Juliusz' klon, the Fuxi. mine is bufferless and its my fav klone i've tried (the blammo Mr. Horse was also really great).

Juliusz' makes great pedals! We did a trade a while back, and I got his Doppel, its an animal. He sent me the boards to build the FFAS and Mudfly too, but I haven't had a chance. My friend has the Crooked Axis, and loves it on bass...Good parts, well built, and good prices. Highly recommended.

Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:22 pm

I bought another Telecaster (20 - *sigh* I know)

Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:18 pm

I love plain wood teles that looks awesome.

I picked up a Danelectro Wasabi distortion at music go round today- this is such a weird pedal.

I opened it up and had a look around- its a very sophisticated circuit. It’s all SMD so I’d have to completely dissemble it to flip the (2) circuit boards around and see what’s cooking, which I’ll end up doing, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what the intent was. The core EQ is bizarre- cuts out a ton of bass and low mids, emphasizes really cutting buzzsaw frequencies. It has several EQ “presets” which are equally strange choices- extreme scooped mids, extreme pokey mids, like a cocked wah, and other similarly weird and extreme settings. It has a post drive boost- nothing unusual about that. It has a clean blend with a logarithmic taper, so almost the entire sweep of the pot is predominantly drive with the tiniest little corner the clean guitar or a mix of the two. Gain control goes from pretty distorted to really distorted.

Inside the pedal is a switch for a slap back delay (?) What?

And the enclosure- such a weird era of Danelectro, trying to make everything look like classic cars. The two LEDs are supposed to look like tail lights? On a pedal? A pedal car? It’s called wasabi? And has a picture of a sumo wrestler on the front? It also is the heaviest thing this side of a Snarling Dogs wah.

I can’t imagine the creative direction given to whoever designed this thing- definitely seems like too many cooks in that kitchen.

Anyway, I have a feeling this was intended to be put in front of a dark, distorted amp, or a Big Muff or something. I’ll try it out with what I have laying around.

Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:19 pm

Paul_C wrote:I bought another Telecaster (20 - *sigh* I know)

That one is very pretty, great piece of Ash. What model is it?

Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:11 am

le lambin wrote:I love plain wood teles that looks awesome.

I picked up a Danelectro Wasabi distortion at music go round today- this is such a weird pedal.

I opened it up and had a look around- its a very sophisticated circuit. It’s all SMD so I’d have to completely dissemble it to flip the (2) circuit boards around and see what’s cooking, which I’ll end up doing, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what the intent was. The core EQ is bizarre- cuts out a ton of bass and low mids, emphasizes really cutting buzzsaw frequencies. It has several EQ “presets” which are equally strange choices- extreme scooped mids, extreme pokey mids, like a cocked wah, and other similarly weird and extreme settings. It has a post drive boost- nothing unusual about that. It has a clean blend with a logarithmic taper, so almost the entire sweep of the pot is predominantly drive with the tiniest little corner the clean guitar or a mix of the two. Gain control goes from pretty distorted to really distorted.

Inside the pedal is a switch for a slap back delay (?) What?

And the enclosure- such a weird era of Danelectro, trying to make everything look like classic cars. The two LEDs are supposed to look like tail lights? On a pedal? A pedal car? It’s called wasabi? And has a picture of a sumo wrestler on the front? It also is the heaviest thing this side of a Snarling Dogs wah.

I can’t imagine the creative direction given to whoever designed this thing- definitely seems like too many cooks in that kitchen.

Anyway, I have a feeling this was intended to be put in front of a dark, distorted amp, or a Big Muff or something. I’ll try it out with what I have laying around.

:lol: :lol: :lol: loved this review

Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:13 am

TheTransient wrote:
Paul_C wrote:I bought another Telecaster (20 - *sigh* I know)

That one is very pretty, great piece of Ash. What model is it?

A Japanese "1952 Reissue Telecaster (TL-52TX)" apparently.

Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:16 pm

le lambin wrote:I picked up a Danelectro Wasabi distortion at music go round today- this is such a weird pedal.

[...]

I have the Wasabi forward/reverse delay, it's absolutely a brick of a beast, and indeed does some cool/weird things. In reverse mode, low repeats, minimal time it's stuttery in a way I like. But it feels like I could take six other pedals with me to a show and save on weight in my backpack.

Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:18 pm

The BBE was cool but I realized a chorus/vibe pedal does not work for me... I need both independently.. so I got me one of them waza things
IMG_3379.jpg
IMG_3379.jpg (53.56 KiB) Viewed 273 times

I'm vibing on it! these are badass! not noticeable hissy either!

Also got a Maxon CS-9 Pro coming!

Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:21 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:The BBE was cool but I realized a chorus/vibe pedal does not work for me... I need both independently.. so I got me one of them waza things
IMG_3379.jpg

I'm vibing on it! these are badass! not noticeable hissy either!

Also got a Maxon CS-9 Pro coming!

I've been looking at picking one of these up lately too. I like the other waza stuff that I've tried so its cool to hear this one is also badass.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:33 pm

Definitely looks good. Not cheap, but I may keep an eye out for used... Always on the hunt for just the right modulation :facepalm:

Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:00 pm

TC 3rd Dimension, Aphex Punch Factory (the orange one), Amptweaker TightMetal Jr. (original enclosure), MXR Poly Blue Octave, Eventide Ultratap.
That's a typical week for me lately. :facepalm:
I blame Japan and all the sweet deals they're throwing on ebay...

Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:23 am

Warpsmasher wrote:TC 3rd Dimension, Aphex Punch Factory (the orange one), Amptweaker TightMetal Jr. (original enclosure), MXR Poly Blue Octave, Eventide Ultratap.
That's a typical week for me lately. :facepalm:
I blame Japan and all the sweet deals they're throwing on ebay...

Ultratap is awesome- great for actual walls of reverb

Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:03 pm

I've had a bit of a mad moment today, and bought this:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:38 pm

Sir, are you aware that this is not a Telecaster?

Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:18 am

Been thinking about getting a EHX SuperEgo or Plus lately. Anyone had both and can tell me if the extra controls on the plus are worth it? Not really bothered by the multi fx-section. Also, thinking I should get a PurPLL, any thoughts on that?
Post a reply