Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help group?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help gr

Postby Blood_mountain » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:47 am

Jero wrote:The opposite over here...I know exactly where to spend all the money I don't have :lol:

What are you after?
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:40 pm

Blood_mountain wrote:
Jero wrote:The opposite over here...I know exactly where to spend all the money I don't have :lol:

What are you after?

Other than the constant need for pedal parts for builds...
I have recently become minorly obsessed, and have my eye on a handful of older keyboards/synths/samplers/drum machines/sound modules (mostly Yamaha/Boss/Roland/Kawai/Casio/Korg)...Actually considered making a post to see if anyone had stuff like that collecting dust, that maybe I could try out :snax: Looking at some of the more modern offerings too, that I see you folks bring up from time to time.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:37 pm

MrNovember wrote:I've been saving money to buy a Moog Mavis, or maybe a new Make Noise XPO, or a Boss RE2/202 or Line 6 DL4 MKII. So naturally, instead of any of those, I just ordered a Recording King Acoustic Tenor Guitar:

tenor guitar is obviously the right answer to that question! How are those tuned again? All 5ths or is it a 4th on the first and 2nd strin? i forgot
Jero wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:

What are you after?

I have recently become minorly obsessed, and have my eye on a handful of older keyboards/synths/samplers/drum machines/sound modules (mostly Yamaha/Boss/Roland/Kawai/Casio/Korg)...Actually considered making a post to see if anyone had stuff like that collecting dust, that maybe I could try out :snax: Looking at some of the more modern offerings too, that I see you folks bring up from time to time.

take my akai! it has a planet mu sticker
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:03 pm

Yeah, I thought it was a good call. They’re tuned all 5ths. Usually the same as a mandolin
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:35 pm

MrNovember wrote:I've been saving money to buy a Moog Mavis, or maybe a new Make Noise XPO, or a Boss RE2/202 or Line 6 DL4 MKII. So naturally, instead of any of those, I just ordered a Recording King Acoustic Tenor Guitar:

I randomly played one of their parlor style acoustics a few years back and was shocked at how much I liked it. Was less than $200 too :facepalm: Bet you got a cool little stringer there!

qersty wrote:take my akai! it has a planet mu sticker

You have my attention! Tell me more :snax:

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:50 pm

Jero wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:

What are you after?

Any time I start looking at synths and fuzz pedals, that's my cue that it's unwarranted GAS and that I should take a number of deep breaths and think it through before I press the "Purchase" button. I've had some fun with synths and fuzz pedals, but I tend to lose interest in them quickly and/or can't find a place for them in my playing/writing. Someday maybe I'll find something that holds my interest. With synths, at least, it's due to my poor playing skills that makes me lose interest I think. I'll find a reasonably priced Casio SK-1/5/8 at some point tho!!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:52 pm

Jero wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:

What are you after?

Any time I start looking at synths and fuzz pedals, that's my cue that it's unwarranted GAS and that I should take a number of deep breaths and think it through before I press the "Purchase" button. I've had some fun with synths and fuzz pedals, but I tend to lose interest in them quickly and/or can't find a place for them in my playing/writing. Someday maybe I'll find something that holds my interest. With synths, at least, it's due to my poor playing skills that makes me lose interest I think. I'll find a reasonably priced Casio SK-1/5/8 at some point tho!!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:58 pm

Jero wrote:
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont ... ormat=500w

I randomly played one of their parlor style acoustics a few years back and was shocked at how much I liked it. Was less than $200 too :facepalm: Bet you got a cool little stringer there!

I actually owned one of their little parlour guitars for a little while. It was super inexpensive, but it actually sounded, played, and looked really nice
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:17 pm

Blood_mountain wrote:
Jero wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:

What are you after?

:lol: I hear that. This lately seems more focused, where partially it's ooo awwww "new" things, and part me actually having plans/projects for them. Also being uninspired with guitar lately might have something to do with it. Luckily I'm not eyeing a bunch of high dollar stuff. Lot's of "toys" and neglected 80's jawn. One of the Casio/Yamaha sampler offerings would be amazing...VSS-30/200, yes please! Toss in a DR-110/220/202 and a couple pedals...Off to make soundtracks and dungeon/battle hymns :animal: :lol:

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:38 am

Recording King seems to have gotten into a very nice groove. I started on a non-Harmony-branded but Harmony-built little flat top with a floating bridge and stamped tailpiece and now I have one of their JTE signature models, which has an eerily close vibe, but (dare I say?) better. I can’t vouch for their resonators because I don’t know the real deal well enough. But I have good feels for their flat tops. I kinda hope they do an affordable but credible Sovereign so I can stop side-eyeing trying to get a vintage one. But damn, I’m already at four acoustics.

BTW, I didn’t know it was fifths. My only prior encounter was in college where a friend had strung a vintage thing like the top four of a guitar, which seemed a bit pointless. But fifths, okay. That could even make cigar-box guitars not just a boring and passé fad.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:21 pm

MrNovember wrote:Yeah, I thought it was a good call. They’re tuned all 5ths. Usually the same as a mandolin

thats cool. 5ths tuning is fun but i havent gotten anywhere with it other than relearning songs on bass in it.
Jero wrote:You have my attention! Tell me more :snax:

its nothing really that exciting other than a few upgrades. its an s2000 which is like the most boring sampler to waste your energy programing. :lol:
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:43 pm

qersty wrote:its nothing really that exciting other than a few upgrades. its an s2000 which is like the most boring sampler to waste your energy programing. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo7kPISS170
Jero wrote:Luckily I'm not eyeing a bunch of high dollar stuff. Lot's of "toys" and neglected 80's jawn. One of the Casio/Yamaha sampler offerings would be amazing...VSS-30/200, yes please! Toss in a DR-110/220/202 and a couple pedals...Off to make soundtracks and dungeon/battle hymns :animal: :lol:

I highly recommend visiting thrift stores, because online prixes for this schtuff has literally gone out the window. As they say in the old country, "the best Casio is the one you already have lying around" :cool:

Anyway, I don't think awesome YT demos are helping those hikes, but boy are they entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86lEtq4Qn1Y

You might be able to scratch that itch with a few Volcas (still p cheap!), or one or two of those Roland pseudo-Volcas (new but basically Today's Casio) :trippy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPcRE3h10lk

or mebbe a few Pocket Operators w/ some Amazon pedals of yer choix, but I also understand the thrill of thee hunt so :hobbes:
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:17 am

(I thoroughly enjoy both those channels btw. Have seen most if not all)

qersty wrote:
Jero wrote:You have my attention! Tell me more :snax:

its nothing really that exciting other than a few upgrades. its an s2000 which is like the most boring sampler to waste your energy programing. :lol:

Hey it may be the “boring one”, but it's still cool :cool: though yes, they do seem a bit tedious to program. Would likely cost a small fortune to ship :eek: Did you ever use it for any projects/recordings?
Last edited by Jero on Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:00 am

I am on vacation right now but will come home on friday to a Kodamo Essencefm. Being the fool that I am... I also ordered a Waldorf MicrowaveXT yesterday! :yay: :!!!:

My synth setup will now consist of my modular system (based around Nerdseq, Assimil8or, Piston Honda mkiii, bionic lester mkiii, Mob of Emus, Linnaeus, etc), MPC One, Nord Lead 2X, Kodamo Essencefm and MicrowaveXT :excellent:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby chuckjaywalk » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:59 pm

Went on a guitar journey this week. My partner has become very attached to my American Professional II Stratocaster and wanted it to be her primary guitar. We agreed to a trade: the Strat for her Fender Vintera Mustang Bass (SEAFOAM GREEEEEEEEN!!!) and she'd chip in on my replacement Number One. I agreed and we began guitar hunting. I played a Vintera Road Worn 60s Strat, which I really, really liked, but it sold before I could decide on it. I tried a J Mascis Telecaster but decided not to get it. Ultimately, I took home a Fender JA-90 Jim Adkins Telecaster. Set-neck, P-90s, short-scale. As soon as I got home, though, it felt wrong. I never even took it back out of the case and we returned it the next morning.

Sunday, I played every Stratocaster in Omaha. Both Dietze locations, Guitar Center, nothing scratched my itch. We drove to Lincoln. Music Go Round and the first Dietze came up empty. Then, at the second Dietze, the guitar shop guy did what no one else did: he asked me questions. I explained what I do and what I want. He pulled a Fender American Original 60s off the wall, Shell Pink and ready for action. I lost track of time. When my partner came to retrieve me from the practice room, it was already purchased. The perfect Strat for me.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear