State of the Flanger: 2022 (and beyond!!!)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: State of the Flanger: 2022 (and beyond!!!)

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 02, 2022 2:18 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Mon May 02, 2022 3:22 pm

nah - if you combine orange brown black and blue no way you get purple

flangers are pretty versatile tho
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:42 am

Soo, i have maaany pedals that can flange, but no simple straight up flangers anymore.. :idk:
i want an easy "plug and play" small sized analog flanger to have laying around, usual rate/depth/feedback/manual controls, any valuable options besides the usual suspects? should i just go the BF-2 / FL-9 way?

Zoia can do amazing flange tones but it's a PITA to tweak on the fly, Raster 2 is a bit easier but still not immediate, and the Bitquest is giving me some issues for being used&abused for too long, it probably needs a checkup.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:57 am

You want a BF-2? I give you good price :p

(half) joking aside, I bought it for this reason and was not disappointed so it's a reliable option.

(I have been considering going back to the "only having things that can approximate flangers" club :lol: )

I am sure Flanger Club will enlighten you as to the exciting options I don't know.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby friendship » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:10 pm

Include the MXR Flanger among your BF-2s and FL-9s imo. Ibanez SF10 if you can get a good deal on one.

Can't believe how fuckin expensive the DOD ones are now. Arion SFL-1 was once a good deal too.

There's the new Fender Hammertone if you don't mind a three-way resonance switch instead of a continuous knob (Chanksters hate this one weird trick)--plus you get negative/positive polarity.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:43 pm

:lol:

Yeah, depends on if you're lookin' for vintage or modern. For vintage, in addition to the ones already mentioned, many other '80s Japanese four-knob flangers can't really be beat. For modern, I like the SubDecay Starlight a lot. Lots of options currently available. I don't have experience with any of the most recent entries though. So, can't really recommend.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:48 pm

I don’t mind the 3-way reso switch on the Guyatone FL-3. Seems to work well enough, but maybe I’m totally missing out.

My guess is trading a knob for a switch and getting positive and negative feedback options is a worthy trade off. +/- gives you a lot more range than going just one way.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:00 pm

Oh wait the Hammertone is digital I think, that might be "A Dowi Dealbreaker"
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:50 pm

I love me some digital flange. My Delta Labs Effectron does some fantastic flange.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:00 am

friendship wrote:Oh wait the Hammertone is digital I think, that might be "A Dowi Dealbreaker"

Hehe, yeah kinda of a dowibreaker, also the fact that look AWFUL doesn't help :lol:

Last year i had an honeymoon phase with the Alexander F13 but in the end having manual as a secondary function ruined the game, also i didn't bond with how presets are managed in the Neo series, but that's another story - i think i explained my reasons in a review of it a few pages back.
Anyway, after a while, it started to sound very "digital" to my ears, so that's why now i am looking for an analog one.

So far, considering the analog+4knobbers+small size indications, the only "recent" alternatives i have found are the Walrus one and the Supro Flanger. Never had any kind of interest or experience with neither of those companies, so idk. The Polychrome seems to have some volume drop, which totally kills it for me, while the Supro has both positive and negative feedback and it's stereo too, but i have zero interest in that. Also it's waaay pricey than a Boss BF2.. so i guess i should go the old way

@cbs if the shipping+import costs weren't overkill i'd be more than happy to grab yours, but alas :(
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:16 am

friendship wrote:Oh wait the Hammertone is digital I think, that might be "A Dowi Dealbreaker"

Hehe, yeah kinda of a dowibreaker, also the fact that look AWFUL doesn't help :lol:

Last year i had an honeymoon phase with the Alexander F13 but in the end having manual as a secondary function ruined the game, also i didn't bond with how presets are managed in the Neo series, but that's another story - i think i explained my reasons in a review of it a few pages back.
Anyway, after a while, it started to sound very "digital" to my ears, so that's why now i am looking for an analog one.

So far, considering the analog+4knobbers+small size indications, the only "recent" alternatives i have found are the Walrus one and the Supro Flanger. Never had any kind of interest or experience with neither of those companies, so idk. The Polychrome seems to have some volume drop, which totally kills it for me, while the Supro has both positive and negative feedback and it's stereo too, but i have zero interest in that. Also it's waaay pricey than a Boss BF2.. so i guess i should go the old way

@cbs if the shipping+import costs weren't overkill i'd be more than happy to grab yours, but alas :(
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:50 am

Just get a BF-2 it is like the flanger. I've heard a lot of poeple complain the FL-9 is too subtle compared to the boss but I've never tried it.

Another option is the toneczar 2Z, it's only $575 :lol:

I remember the walrus is kind of a fun one. Gotta pull it out, havent used it in a while. Waveform selector is a good feature
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:47 am

Gone Fission wrote:I love me some digital flange. My Delta Labs Effectron does some fantastic flange.

Totally! I love my BF-3, and I once had a Mr. Black Tunnelworm that did a killer through-zero flange via digital chicanery. I've always wanted to try the Digitech Nautilus to get multitap Fibonacci flange. :animal:

Dowi wrote:

Another consideration: A/DA PBF. Analog four knobber (plus a noise gate knob I think), pos/neg feedback switch, and an expression pedal input that controls the manual. Sweeping through the manual knob while you're playing is extremely fun and the key to getting tape-like flanging effects imo. The big box version is expensive, but the PBF is about in the same range as the used Supro. This is what I was planning to buy until I got the Moog MF Flange which was still in production at the time.

edited to add: or just get a BF-2, they're great. ;)
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:22 pm

I think I’ve read that ADA has disappeared like a fart in the wind again. So don’t expect support, and if you’re lusting after one you may want to buy before flipper prices set in when people clue in. (If they haven’t already.)
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:36 pm

ah fuck that blows

I'm just giving out all kinds of obsolete advice here
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear