Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help group?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Gasalcoholics anonymous? whoever said this was a help gr

Postby Dandolin » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:44 am

i will chack that N5+ out - thx! (i did kinda like what i heard in the OG No5 demos a few years back) :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Eristic » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:53 am

Dandolin wrote::love: i wish we had something a bit more like musicgoround or atomic music near me - i don't really know what goes on in musicgoround, actually, but it gives off this vibe of fecund chaos, like old school music shops had....

around here, we've only got the biggest of big boxes, a George's (which is close to useless and quite creepy, really), a bunch of places that offer lessons and are genuinely flabbergasted that guitar pedals even exist, and then the full-on-cray-but-mostly-free-of-any-stuff-that-wasn't-at-least-conceptualized-by-1954 Tinicum Guitar Barn.... :idk: there's no place for that light touch of weekend bad behavior browsing serendipity around here. so i never go out, just order shit online :whateva:

MGRs are franchises, so there's some variation in terms of policy, buying/trading, haggling, etc. Some I've been in are pretty sad, but the one here is in an extremely busy location on the edge of Atlanta and has been one of the highest volume music retail stores in the country for years. They will buy or trade in literally anything that walks in the door in any condition and usually have ~1500 guitar/bass-related pieces, never mind drums/band/recording/etc. They also will not negotiate at all (in the owner's words, they "don't want to be like a pawn shop" :idk: ), preferring instead to mark stuff down over time. This means a metric ton of stuff just piles up, a lot of which is broken/refinished/hacked up/fake, which makes it hell to navigate and actually find the good stuff, but that also means the good stuff regularly slips through the cracks and winds up marked down to less than they paid for it. You just have to be patient. Almost bought a couple more, but really need to move something first (or hope they make it to the next markdown round).

We're very fortunate to still have a handful of legit good stores like Atlanta Discount and Maple Street (if you like acoustics), too, plus like 7 GCs, so there are other avenues for gear hunting when MGR isn't the right vibe.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:34 am

yep, sounds like just my kinda place, lol
i've got family near Atlanta - if only i'd realized, i woulda been inventing reasons to "disappear" for a few hours :lol:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:40 am

Dandolin wrote:i will chack that N5+ out - thx! (i did kinda like what i heard in the OG No5 demos a few years back) :snax:

G4 sounds to me like a 5150 with a bootfull of boost going into it. But it can also get pretty low gain. But in general it can get quite saturated, but still be quite clear. It is a wee bit spongy, but ymmv - I generally play very very tight.

I'm going to do a shootout tonight through my big rig. I can test low and high gain on both.

G3 is definitely more like a Marshall, more specifically a boosted JCM800. But It's got a lot of range, and it is easy to get more tones out of it than a JCM. The mids sit out a bit more than the G4, it is a bit stiffer, and a bit less hairy, for a given gain level. But the red mode on the G3 takes away a lot of the stiffness so um... :idk:

I'd say don't write it off as a MIAB. Because I don't think it is. But anyways, I'll jam em side by side tonight at 100+ dB and see what happens.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Dandolin » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:04 am

thanks G, you rock :D :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MaxMaps » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:43 am

Gone Fission wrote:
Dandolin wrote:Gratz - you like? :snax: i have an unhealthy interest in it, except i keep seeing people say it's kinda Marshally, which i don't think i really want? :idk:

i know i don't want the G2, and the G4 sounds different to me (and good), but not necessarily in the direction i want....

i want something modern sounding that when you play one of those ringing chords that's all fifths and octaves sounds like there's a piano subliminally doubling, or some kind of fancy schmancy pitch shifting/multi-band distorto scenario, but without the redonkulous digital artifactery :trippy:

is that Marshally? i'm not being facetious. i swear. i've heard that sound a couple of times on records and went investigating only to find out the player in question plays Marshalls :idea:

yet, whenever i've been in the room with an actual Marshall of any type, i never hear that, i just hear typical brown-sound or 8Ts shenanigans, which, no :no:

only time i've heard anything similar irl was in a band with a guy using a triple rectifier

i suspect tho that what i'm hearing is slick overdubbing technique :erm:

i'll just bet the answer is i want an Elements :lol: :facepalm:

sorry, done rambling haha

Maybe check out the Sinvertek N5+ videos—has a high gain liquid lead thing happening that I don’t really hear in most pedals. To my ears the Rev and Friedman pedals do crunch and chug but not that effortless lead ala SLO or something like that. Pricey, but it seems to compare to a lead channel in a pricey tube amp.

The is the is most spot on observation of the Revv and Friedman pedals - stellar chugga riffing toans, but you have to have either something else in line to get a lead tone.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MaxMaps » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:37 pm

Also in other words - after saying I was done buying shit I sneakly purchased some Monolord artwork for Jero :)

In return he is going to make a shoe gazer for me - I have missed that pedal so its time to come home
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:52 pm

So I ordered an OBNE Expression Ramper around Christmas, but it was backordered and I totally forgot about it. Well it showed up today and it's excellent! When I ordered it, I was planning on using it with the Swiss Things I got for ILFSS, but I haven't even tested it there yet; I've been experimenting with it and the Afterneath instead and it's ridiculous. Afterneath itself is such a wild pedal and adding an LFO to it just makes it even crazier. I might need to order one or two more Expression Rampers to use with all my other pedals. Maybe I'll even try to get my hands on a real expression pedal since I've never owned one
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby cosmicevan » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:20 am

The Eristic wrote:
The Eristic wrote:Speaking of "vintage" small builder pedals, an old Euthymia ICBM popped up locally for a decent price so I snagged it. I hate Big Muffs but this thing kinda rules, hot damn. :joy:

Stopped by the local Musicgoround Saturday and the ICBM got some friends. Good week.

Oh damn...that overloader
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:24 am

I got jealous of all my wife's amazon and target pacakges, so I got some mail too!!!!

these 2 are just immaculate, brand new condition :drool:
massive thanks to our very own @ghosthip for the BORIS LOVE ECT hookup!!!

...and this one has some janky knobs and has definitely seen better days :(
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:37 am

MrNovember wrote:So I ordered an OBNE Expression Ramper around Christmas, but it was backordered and I totally forgot about it. Well it showed up today and it's excellent! When I ordered it, I was planning on using it with the Swiss Things I got for ILFSS, but I haven't even tested it there yet; I've been experimenting with it and the Afterneath instead and it's ridiculous. Afterneath itself is such a wild pedal and adding an LFO to it just makes it even crazier. I might need to order one or two more Expression Rampers to use with all my other pedals. Maybe I'll even try to get my hands on a real expression pedal since I've never owned one

I've had one sitting around for a while and couldn't find a use for it but I set it up with my Tensor and it makes things pretty goofy. I typically keep Tensor at a pretty simple random reverse setting but having the option to switch to something more wild is nice. As always, I wish it had a random lfo in addition to the triangle and square.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:09 pm

goroth wrote:
Dandolin wrote:i will chack that N5+ out - thx! (i did kinda like what i heard in the OG No5 demos a few years back) :snax:

G4 sounds to me like a 5150 with a bootfull of boost going into it. But it can also get pretty low gain. But in general it can get quite saturated, but still be quite clear. It is a wee bit spongy, but ymmv - I generally play very very tight.

I'm going to do a shootout tonight through my big rig. I can test low and high gain on both.

G3 is definitely more like a Marshall, more specifically a boosted JCM800. But It's got a lot of range, and it is easy to get more tones out of it than a JCM. The mids sit out a bit more than the G4, it is a bit stiffer, and a bit less hairy, for a given gain level. But the red mode on the G3 takes away a lot of the stiffness so um... :idk:

I'd say don't write it off as a MIAB. Because I don't think it is. But anyways, I'll jam em side by side tonight at 100+ dB and see what happens.

For a given gain level the G4 is a bit quieter.
The G3 has a bit more presence. It's a little more old school.
The G4 has a bit more low mid, and the q on the mids seems a bit... broader. I dunno.
They both sound fucking rad.

DM me if you want me to send links to a shoot out including a JCM800.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Dandolin » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:59 pm

:joy: this will happen!
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:30 am

I approve and bless all thy acquisitions. So many pedals here I'd love to try. Almost bought a G3 the other day. A new wave of GAS has hit me this winter, while not playing much outside the house and also rearranging my board.

In that process I happened to wind up with a row of all black pedals save for one: The Warped Vinyl MKII. It just looked out of place, and around the same time a used WV HiFi in black turned up for a good price, so that's here now. Stoked to find out how it sounds and how the lag and hold functions are, not stoked to sell my MKII...
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:19 pm

MaxMaps wrote:Also in other words - after saying I was done buying shit I sneakly purchased some Monolord artwork for Jero :)
In return he is going to make a shoe gazer for me - I have missed that pedal so its time to come home

:!!!: :hug: This is going to be awesome

Ps. I have really rad new shirts in progress. You guys should buy some :lol:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear