,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-[RONA GEAR RANKED]-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: ,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-[RONA GEAR RANKED]-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸

Postby friendship » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:24 pm

Dowi wrote:
friendship wrote:Gretsch G6128T Duo Jet "Player's Edition" - 100/10 - Absolute perfect work of art, a dream guitar finally attained. I became monomaniacal and asked every seller of every used Duo Jet I could find for neck measurements, miraculously found a thicc boi at a good price, and jumped on it like it came with the fuckin vaccine.

This has been probably the gear purchase on ILF that made me drool the most.. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm only a little embarrassed to admit that sometimes I open the case just to gaze at it approvingly.

vidret wrote:Ibanez PH10 Phaser (and other phaser): 9/10 - the sweep is wonky as fuck but the sound is incredible and it's simple as
hell.

I have this phaeseur too! Love that weird sweep.

I have heard very good things about this amp, UglyCasanova has one as well and I'm tempted to check it out despite not needing another amp right now. How does it take high gain pedals?

Pretty good, though i've only tested the aforementioned Zoom Tri-Metal with it at bedroom volumes. The clean channel can get VERY clean so I imagine you'd have a lot of headroom to work with.
actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby vidret » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:33 am

Paul_C wrote:I started making a list, but gave up once I reached 20 pedals and realised that I would also need to look up all the ones I bought and subsequently sold :eek:

Should've poasted it my dude. The more the merrier.

This thread doubles as the Pandemic Gear Confessions :lol:
vidret

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:58 am

Well . . .

I'll update this as and when I remember something else, but so far my memory says:

Alexander Superball
Meris Polymoon
Meris Ottobit Jr. (2)*
Meris Hedra (2)*
Meris Enzo
DOD Rubberneck
Pladask Elektrisk Fabrikat
Pladask Elektrisk Bakvendt
CB Mood (2)*
CB Blooper (2)*
CB Habit
Poly Beebo (3)
Empress Zoia (2)
EHX Mod Rex
Boss Slicer
Boss MD500
Paradox Architect
Hexe Revolver II
Catalinbread Antichthon
Malekko Downer
Malekko Polyamorator
Dr Scientist Dusk
Dr Scientist BitQuest
MA 856 For Zellersasn
MA Count To 5
MASF Possessed
MWFX Judder
KMA Wurhm
EQD Rainbow Machine
Intensive Care Fideleater
WMD Geiger Counter
Cooper FX Moment Machine
Boss Tera Echo

Multiples marked * are pedals where I've bought more than one, but only owned one at any time.
Pedals underlined I no longer own.
Last edited by Paul_C on Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:00 pm

i got a gl100 which was sick as hll but for some reason i gave it away for some jackass reason
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby vidret » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:01 pm

qersty wrote:i got a gl100 which was sick as hll but for some reason i gave it away for some jackass reason

vidret

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby the_bright_undead » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:39 pm

Best drive: EAE Surveyor
Worst drive: EQD Plumes (I mean it wasn't awful, just not worth hanging onto for very long. Mode 1 was pretty dope).

Best fuzz: Basic Audio, fill in your pedal of choice. Currently using a Ge Fuzz Right. Also Stomping Stones Virus.
Worst fuzz: there is no worst fuzz.

Best echo: RE 202
Worst echo: DBA Echo Dream. I know it gets lots of love around here and I can see why, but for some reason it I couldn't connect with it personally. Maybe my ideals were too high? I think I had it for less than 72 hours, it was in and then gone.

Biggest surprise / all around best purchase: Dirge x Malaise Golden Guillotine. I picked this up here on ILF and it has become a favorite, irreplaceable distortion. It is a little too dark, and very hazy, and not in any way transparent, and that's what makes it absolutely fantastic. Low gain and high gain are both just ridiculous. It works great as a low-gain to enhance other dirt, or as the main dirt pedal on my board. It has its limits because it's so dark but I think limitations are sometimes a good thing.

Runner up for best purchase: Fralin hum canceling p90 with alnico rods, bridge position, absolutely killer humbucker replacement in my SG.

The gear I most regret selling: A/DA PBF Flanger.

goroth wrote:Secondly: literally every demo for the Model Fet sounds like ass. But EAE posted an A/B with an actual Sunn and it also sounded like shit. So this year has killed my gas for that pedal. Backwards, you have good ears. Intrigued to hear how you use it.

Agreed on the demos sounding awful. I did get the feT, and it's been a weird back and forth. At this point, I really like using it to boost/enhance fuzz or other dirt, but the high gain tones on this pedal don't really compare for me to other EAE stuff (mainly the Surveryor). I've tried using it as a preamp direct into the return in my effects loop, and also wasn't in love with it in that context. It is a great all-around gain pedal though and can do a lot of things that other drives can't do, I especially like how you can blend the two different gain channels. Sometimes I wonder, what if it was presented differently, as it's own thing instead of being a tribute to the Model T?
the_bright_undead

committed
committed

Postby raj007 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:08 am

Not in the mood to pipe off and recount pedals…but a couple significant things happened during COVID that taught me a lot about my guitar and amp preferences.

Summer 2020 I hit a big wall and long story short sold everything I had gear wise and took 4 months off. When I came back, I got a Vox AC15 (never had one before) and went to a local shop and was drawn to this beat to shit Epiphone Dot (never had a 335 style before). And while I upgraded from the Dot (to Eastman T-386 with upgraded pickups, wiring…) that was it. I became a 335-style through a standard AC15 guy…and it’s been that way for a year and a half. For those that know me….a year and a half of me keeping pieces of gear? Miracle.

In that span I’ve put up much more expensive amps against the lowly Vox….and the Vox has beat them all. So I decided this boutique amp shit is a lie and a placebo effect.

I was a Fender/single coil player for quite some time and hit a couple spots where I missed that sound and feel or so I thought…the tone of a Strat sounds so thin….Tele…brittle…neutered …and they don’t feel right anymore either. I’ve tried some other guitars over this time, whether in a shop or in a couple cases, purchasing…and nothing feels or sounds like the 335-style.

So. I’ve conceded to it.

And just to speak Eastman’s praise…you get a lot of guitar for the price. I’ve held some 3K Gibson 335’s and I didn’t prefer them over the Eastman line. And I kept my Eastman over a Heritage model (the Heritage was very nice though…superior to Gibson imo).

Finding stability and “home” with instrument and amp is kind of weird. But here we are.
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

D.o.S wrote:Whenever I step on my tuner the shitty guitar playing stops.
raj007

experienced
experienced

Postby qersty » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:54 am

vidret wrote:
qersty wrote:i got a gl100 which was sick as hll but for some reason i gave it away for some jackass reason

imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby vidret » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:01 am

raj007 wrote:Not in the mood to pipe off and recount pedals…but a couple significant things happened during COVID that taught me a lot about my guitar and amp preferences.

Summer 2020 I hit a big wall and long story short sold everything I had gear wise and took 4 months off. When I came back, I got a Vox AC15 (never had one before) and went to a local shop and was drawn to this beat to shit Epiphone Dot (never had a 335 style before). And while I upgraded from the Dot (to Eastman T-386 with upgraded pickups, wiring…) that was it. I became a 335-style through a standard AC15 guy…and it’s been that way for a year and a half. For those that know me….a year and a half of me keeping pieces of gear? Miracle.

In that span I’ve put up much more expensive amps against the lowly Vox….and the Vox has beat them all. So I decided this boutique amp shit is a lie and a placebo effect.

I was a Fender/single coil player for quite some time and hit a couple spots where I missed that sound and feel or so I thought…the tone of a Strat sounds so thin….Tele…brittle…neutered …and they don’t feel right anymore either. I’ve tried some other guitars over this time, whether in a shop or in a couple cases, purchasing…and nothing feels or sounds like the 335-style.

So. I’ve conceded to it.

And just to speak Eastman’s praise…you get a lot of guitar for the price. I’ve held some 3K Gibson 335’s and I didn’t prefer them over the Eastman line. And I kept my Eastman over a Heritage model (the Heritage was very nice though…superior to Gibson imo).

Finding stability and “home” with instrument and amp is kind of weird. But here we are.

that sounds great actually. I've never had a 335 style but I've considered it many times.

Over the last few winters since getting my reverend (summer 2019 so pre-corona gear!) I've played it acoustically a lot, it just feels so good to play. I could definitely move down to that one alone.
Actually doing it is another thing, it takes some dedication to do away with a lifetime of gear like that.

Good job, I say, and nice landing too.
vidret

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:00 am

raj007 wrote:Finding stability and “home” with instrument and amp is kind of weird. But here we are.

This rules. Maybe it feels weird because we're sorta conditioned (by SOCIETY and CAPITALISM :mad: :mad: :mad: ) to always be looking for the next, new-and-improved thing. But getting off that treadmill and finding "home" is awesome.

I'm finding my mindset changing from "I want every option possible so that I am completely unlimited" to "wait I don't even use most of these options, maybe I just want the few specific tools that work for me." For example when I was shopping for an amp modeler to record with, I focused on its limitations and wondered if it would be "enough." But in practice, I keep it on a Twin Reverb setting 95% of the time and sometimes swap the mic and/or speaker IR for different colors. Sometimes certain shit just works.
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:43 pm

Dowi wrote:
vidret wrote:Stoneworks stone picks: 9/10 - I used to go through jazz 3 picks and then acrylic 3-sided picks like ammunition. Now it's the same perfect edge every time. Took some time getting used to but I love it.

you mean, actual stone picks? didn't knew about their exsistence at all.
If they fall, they roll? :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :facepalm:

Vidret turned me onto the stone picks and I'm giving them an 8/10. Really nice to play with and such a crazy bite. Not so good for playing chords where I like a little give, pretty much 10/10 for leads.

vidret wrote:EAE Surveyor mk2 (IPV thing): 9/10 - it's so good and has real capable range, from just clean drives to stoner heavies.
The EQ before the dirt is GREAT and why aren't more pedals like this? So juicy. Would like for it to squeal and sustain just a tad more, but that's why I've got the -

Also got one of these for christmas (thanks d.o.s) and agree it is just killer for stacking or on its own for certain sounds. But mostly stacked or as my "clean channel".

vidret wrote:ALM Jumble Henge: 8/10 - This is such a great idea in a small package. The downside is you need 2-3 additional modules to accompany it, but it gives you that patch-programmable and final mixing with the filters. If you're looking at this also have a look at Takaab's Nearness, which is 2 hp and none of the filters but all of the stereo.

And got this. Jeez hive mind much? :lol: It is a nice simple solution for delightful stereo patching that otherwise requires more gear. Can't really go wrong for stereo, I thought a lot about the Takaab but I really love the EQ on this, rarely turn it off.

vidret wrote:I bought an arm for my computer screen, it cost 40€ and it's so incredibly good. High, low, tilt, swirl, rotate, angle, finagle, what have you. It's the best thing. 10/10.

Another good hive mind purchase. Got it for work to have two monitors on one desk but game changer for the home PC as well. Goes with a huge new desk that is a gigantic improvement over my old one.

vidret wrote:Ritual Electronics Anima - This does almost everything twice and coldbrightsunlight received it. I am considering stealing this also, but she lives further away.

Thanks buddy! Love this thing so much I'm getting a second slope generator because turns out it's the MVP module. It's a keeper for sure.

Aside from hive mind stuff :lol:

- Boss DD-8. Group santa gift from 2019 received after covid, does what it says on the tin, still use it constantly. Workhorse.

- Humboldt Simplifier. Another d.o.smas gift!! Very useful little bit of gear for recording, can capture an amp and DI signal with a cool preamp and solid enough cab sim for headphone playing or at a pinch in a live/jam situation.

- Orange Kongpressor. Was missing compressors for cleans, adds a nice sparkle and makes the cleans sound better in the "can't tell it's on till you turn it off way" which is what I wanted. Haven't used this in a while but it does what it's meant to when I want that sound.

- Boss BF-2. Is flanger. Flangers. Pretty fun.

- Clang! Had to get on this hype train. Not sure I need it now tbh but it was so exciting seeing a special ILF run of pedals, and I had remembered enjoying the DN when I had one. But then I sold it in the first place. :idk: :lol:

- Dr Scientist Cosmichorus. I'd wanted one of these for years!! ILF cred, best chorus/vibe I've ever had and a very passable flanger.

- Black Arts Toneworks Crown of Horns. Bought and trialled a V6 op amp muff for fcknoise and was blown away. This seemed like the best clone option and it riiiips. I rarely love muffs but this one is a keeper.

Modules
Didn't realise how coconuts I'd gone, but I bought a whole new case and had to fill it with something... :lol: Intellijel case and a bunch of Intellijel 1u to fill it, some other stuff but the only real exciting ones are probably

Mutable Blades - real fun, sounds nice, does what it says on the tin.

Make Noise Pressure Points - I like it for "state changes" for different parts, and having some human interaction other than knob twiddling, but it's not perfect.

mannequins Mangrove - Delicious.

Malekko Varigate 4+ - realised it wasn't for me pretty quickly. Sliders are too small to accurately dial in melodies, good sequencer for modulation but not melody.

ornament and crime - pretty cool and the most usable multi-function module I've tried. Still annoys me at times because I prefer simpler interfaces in eurorack.

ALM Pamela's New Workout - crazy powerful! Wish it was the first module I got honestly as it would have shined even more in my old small case, love this thing.

Make Noise Mimeophon - super crazy cool delay. Feel like I'm hardly scratching the surface of this a lot of the time but I really like it.

Joranalogue Fold 6. Really good, simple, works. Like the joranalogue design and I'd consider more.

Amps and guitars (the good stuff)

- No name random 1x12 cab. Big tone improvement, especially when I swapped in a £10 Fane I got off eBay.

- HH 100 watt 2x12. Beastly clean amp, dirty channel doesn't really work but I did not buy this for the dirty channel.

- Jackson Misha Mansoor 7 string. Love it! 7 string is a lot of fun, it is one of my best sounding guitars now I swapped in a dimarzio PAF in the bridge.

Phew what a couple of years. :picard:

EDIT: Didn't even remember everything :rofl: also got an Octatrack which is both overwhelming at times but mostly phenomenal. Digitakt was not quite powerful enough for what I need, this does much more than I need, but it is better for my uses so I'm happy! And an INFANEM Compact Faye Sing, because I'd missed my old one for about a decade, best phaser.
Last edited by coldbrightsunlight on Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:46 pm

friendship wrote:
raj007 wrote:Finding stability and “home” with instrument and amp is kind of weird. But here we are.

This rules. Maybe it feels weird because we're sorta conditioned (by SOCIETY and CAPITALISM :mad: :mad: :mad: ) to always be looking for the next, new-and-improved thing. But getting off that treadmill and finding "home" is awesome.

I'm finding my mindset changing from "I want every option possible so that I am completely unlimited" to "wait I don't even use most of these options, maybe I just want the few specific tools that work for me." For example when I was shopping for an amp modeler to record with, I focused on its limitations and wondered if it would be "enough." But in practice, I keep it on a Twin Reverb setting 95% of the time and sometimes swap the mic and/or speaker IR for different colors. Sometimes certain shit just works.

Yeah I know that I do this, get bitten by the bug of being able to do an extra thing, having an extra flavour, but realistically I could be creatively fulfilled with a lot less stuff. And yet, even knowing that it's hard to take the plunge. Big congrats to everyone who manages to be satisfied and get off the CONSUME carousel.
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby friendship » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:06 am

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yeah I know that I do this, get bitten by the bug of being able to do an extra thing, having an extra flavour, but realistically I could be creatively fulfilled with a lot less stuff. And yet, even knowing that it's hard to take the plunge. Big congrats to everyone who manages to be satisfied and get off the CONSUME carousel.

haha well, I wouldn't say I'm totally off that carousel (after all, I did just list a bunch of toys I bought, most of which I didn't need). But I think I'm hopping on it less often. Maybe this means I'm getting old and boring though. :lol: :animal:
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Adoom » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:55 am

A Fender Telecaster (10/10).
I play.

NSFW: show
Two Heavens
Fine, handcrafted sound.

http://www.instagram.com/twoheavensensemble https://twoheavensensemble.bandcamp.com

Base Desires
A radio programme I host + curate for A Station I Cannot Yet Disclose

[url]Coming Soon![/url]

((( :zen: )))

Wonderful Dealings With: smallsnd/bigsnd, Ryan

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic."
Adoom

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:20 pm

I typed up my modest list with extra info and the tab got closed. So there. I got nothing.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear