Setup of the day thread?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Setup of the day thread?

Postby cosmicevan » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:12 am

qersty wrote:what's the sunray?

It's a tube overdrive pedal by a Canadian builder Broughton Audio. He makes bass focused stuff (sounds great on guitar too). This particular pedal he only did one batch of because of issues with sourcing quality tubes so there are only a few floating around. It sounds great when you push it w a boost or something.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:08 pm

No picture to accompany this as yet, but my endless set up juggle continues :)

I managed to swap my Fender Champion 50XL with a friend for another MK1 Katana 50 combo, so I've taken the Blackstar ID:Core 20 out for now (a little bit hissy, but not as bad as the Fender was).

So now, the signal path goes:

Guitar/Tenori-On/iPad/whatever's plugged into my mixer - Rubberneck (Miku in the loop) - MD500 - Polyamorator - Habit - Beebo #1 (which splits the signal in two)

Path A - Beebo #2 (which splits the signal again) into:

Path #1 - Zoia - Ghost Fax - Katana #1
Path #2 - Mod Rex - Ottobit Jr - Rainbow Machine - CSIDMAN - Katana Mini

Path B - Beebo #3 (which splits the signal again) into:

Path #3 - Zoia - Revolver - Fabrikat - Marshmallow - BitQuest - Fideleater - Katana #2
Path #4 - Ampeg RB108 bass combo

Which is fun :)

The Katanas are either side of the bass combo, which has the Katana Mini sitting on top of it.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:57 am

cosmicevan wrote:

It's a tube overdrive pedal by a Canadian builder Broughton Audio. He makes bass focused stuff (sounds great on guitar too). This particular pedal he only did one batch of because of issues with sourcing quality tubes so there are only a few floating around. It sounds great when you push it w a boost or something.

i have some of josh's stuff. is it like the bug drive? i havent kept up with broughton in forever
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ivoiiovi » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:41 pm

Air Trash came out of long hibernation yesterday and I remembered why I loved it so much, then my bromdihydrochlorphenylbenzodiazepine fuzz from Ezhi & Aka finally showed up after a couple of weeks held hostage by Swedish customs. The latter is a masterpiece for sure and is an instant favourite capable of laser-gun synth-ish squeels from the pseudo-ring mod fuzz, and actually really nice, deep and smooth tones from the tape fuzz. it is a unique pedal for sure, as so seem everything else from Ezhi & Aka (I also have the T21 and Double Tape T). People here probably know this guy's work and if not, go check it out!
The messed up sounds here made me want to add my Slowly Melting just to take it further into the nastiest noise stacking, but that will be tomorrow. I'm going to dig into this (eaten and bounced out of some nice reverb) for the rest of the night :)
ivoiiovi

interested
interested

Postby cosmicevan » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:40 pm

qersty wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:

i have some of josh's stuff. is it like the bug drive? i havent kept up with broughton in forever

I never tried a bug drive, but yeah, it's an overdrive with a tube in it. Broughton has gotten extremely stupid...the hype is so intense that every pedal drop sells out in less than a minute. He just did a new compressor and released it a few weeks in a row...I think he said he made 200 or so and the last drop which must have been the 4th or 5th...it took an hour or so to sell out. So insane. People buy em just to trade them at this point. Interestingly enough, a weird social community thing has gotten kind of sticky around flipping so you don't see too many people overcharging even though they easily could. His pedals are really excellent though...I have a ton of them.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:59 am

It has gotten worse?! I think I stopped following their stuff like 2017 (just after the old comp dropped) and by then already it was insanely overhyped. I dig the Terraformer a lot though I don't use it much now cause for me it only shines on stage really
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:56 pm

I'd buy your terraformer. That's one I skipped.

But honestly, if you wanna make some coin, list that on talkbass and people will be falling over themselves to outbid on it. It's gotten THAT bad. Like you make a deal and then someone begs you to sell it to them for more.q
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sat May 07, 2022 1:33 pm

The bass rig for next weekends' jam and hang with some old bandmates and old college buddies...as always, it should get weird!!!

and the full setup including the guitar and guitar board. Guitar board is subject to some changes over the coming days, but so far I dig it.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sun May 08, 2022 5:17 am

cosmicevan wrote:I'd buy your terraformer. That's one I skipped.

But honestly, if you wanna make some coin, list that on talkbass and people will be falling over themselves to outbid on it. It's gotten THAT bad. Like you make a deal and then someone begs you to sell it to them for more.q

If you're down hmu I have no idea what it's worth and you'd probably take better care of it. dont care about the tb coin
ivoiiovi wrote:Image

Air Trash came out of long hibernation yesterday and I remembered why I loved it so much, then my bromdihydrochlorphenylbenzodiazepine fuzz from Ezhi & Aka finally showed up after a couple of weeks held hostage by Swedish customs. The latter is a masterpiece for sure and is an instant favourite capable of laser-gun synth-ish squeels from the pseudo-ring mod fuzz, and actually really nice, deep and smooth tones from the tape fuzz. it is a unique pedal for sure, as so seem everything else from Ezhi & Aka (I also have the T21 and Double Tape T). People here probably know this guy's work and if not, go check it out!
The messed up sounds here made me want to add my Slowly Melting just to take it further into the nastiest noise stacking, but that will be tomorrow. I'm going to dig into this (eaten and bounced out of some nice reverb) for the rest of the night :)

This is sick! I hear Alexy have big problems with the customs in general right now. He did have some scheme to get around it but still feel sorry for the guy. Swedish customs is total ass though and getting shipments from russia is not something i'd see as being easy to get through at all. What's the green pedal?
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Mon May 09, 2022 12:58 pm

You guys ever spend weeks trying to map out an optimized home studio configuration only to realize that the whole enterprise is too complex for your puny brain and you should have just stuck to your guitar, a Portastudio, and an SM57 for the last 20 years?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Thu May 12, 2022 4:19 pm

friendship wrote:You guys ever spend weeks trying to map out an optimized home studio configuration only to realize that the whole enterprise is too complex for your puny brain and you should have just stuck to your guitar, a Portastudio, and an SM57 for the last 20 years?

Yep. I went to an ipad and an irig and garage band.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MaxMaps » Thu May 12, 2022 7:04 pm

cosmicevan wrote:
friendship wrote:You guys ever spend weeks trying to map out an optimized home studio configuration only to realize that the whole enterprise is too complex for your puny brain and you should have just stuck to your guitar, a Portastudio, and an SM57 for the last 20 years?

off topic - the most critical piece of equipment I keep not buying ( interface)

I also wonder about recording on ipad - how do you like it ?
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sun May 15, 2022 10:38 pm

MaxMaps wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:

off topic - the most critical piece of equipment I keep not buying ( interface)

I also wonder about recording on ipad - how do you like it ?

It gets the job done. It limits options which makes you just do it. As a fan of TapeOp magazine and that whole philosophy...it's really all about the performance with any recording. If you capture the energy or the vibe then you've caught it all. If you are looking to record 4 bars and do the copy paste thing, then garage band is as good as pro-tools. You can't over produce it without spending money on nonsense...but I'd rather spend the money on the outboard gear so at the end of the day, it's the same thing as a tape deck/4 track in my bedroom 30 years ago.

I feel like if I find that I'm doing a TON of recording and being really serious about it and the product I am putting out isn't where I want it to be, I'll evaluate the setup, but until then...iRig>ipad>garage band is more than sufficient.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby friendship » Mon May 16, 2022 11:37 am

cosmicevan wrote:It gets the job done. It limits options which makes you just do it. As a fan of TapeOp magazine and that whole philosophy...it's really all about the performance with any recording. If you capture the energy or the vibe then you've caught it all. If you are looking to record 4 bars and do the copy paste thing, then garage band is as good as pro-tools. You can't over produce it without spending money on nonsense...but I'd rather spend the money on the outboard gear so at the end of the day, it's the same thing as a tape deck/4 track in my bedroom 30 years ago.

I feel like if I find that I'm doing a TON of recording and being really serious about it and the product I am putting out isn't where I want it to be, I'll evaluate the setup, but until then...iRig>ipad>garage band is more than sufficient.

Evan you have cut to the core of me!

I was trying to put my studio together in such a way that I can record with the least amount of friction, i.e plugging/unplugging shit, rerouting, digging out pieces of equipment, etc. But the more complex the setup is, the more points of failure there are. Example: yesterday I wanted to run my drum machine through the input of my synth so I can play with filtered beats while also tracking a parallel FX path, but wasn't getting a signal and after a half hour of troubleshooting I lost my will to record haha.

To be clear, it's not like I'm brimming with ideas and simply getting clam jammed by technical difficulties--I've had like no creative ideas since Covid. So maybe the best is to follow your example by making very simple and reliable setup, box everything else up, and if I find myself actually putting paint to canvas and wanting to expand my palette, I can start getting crazy with the electric spaghetti.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue May 17, 2022 10:41 am

cosmicevan wrote:The bass rig for next weekends' jam and hang with some old bandmates and old college buddies...as always, it should get weird!!!

and the full setup including the guitar and guitar board. Guitar board is subject to some changes over the coming days, but so far I dig it.

That Carl Thompson. Dude. :!!!:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear