· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

pedals fished from the shores of lake okanagan and flash frozen for freshness <drscientist.ca> <FB> <IG>
Post a reply

Re: Frazz Dazzler

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:58 pm

LowWatt wrote:Just went to the Arctic Monkeys show here in Toronto (great show BTW) and Alex Turner was using a 70s Ovation electric for almost the whole set and all that I could think was Homme must of hipped him to the Big O.

Ugh, I wanted to go to that, but I had no money. I hear they're really loud now. Alex has got some sexy guitars; Fender Bronco, baritone Gretsch Spectra Sonic, Ovation Viper, Martin F-65 (!). That with his Selmer Zodiac and his DM-1 just makes me want to be that guy so bad. :love:

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:43 am

Will this work well for shoegaze rhythm guitar?

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:15 am

1,2,3, Pull Out! wrote:
LowWatt wrote:Just went to the Arctic Monkeys show here in Toronto (great show BTW) and Alex Turner was using a 70s Ovation electric for almost the whole set and all that I could think was Homme must of hipped him to the Big O.

Ugh, I wanted to go to that, but I had no money. I hear they're really loud now. Alex has got some sexy guitars; Fender Bronco, baritone Gretsch Spectra Sonic, Ovation Viper, Martin F-65 (!).

Too bad Alex can hardly fuckin play. :facepalm:
Sorry, I'm just really rather tired of power chords.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:17 am

dorfmeister wrote:Will this work well for shoegaze rhythm guitar?

Heavy chugging, thick lead lines and three note chords (think Dino Jr.) = Absolutely yes

Complex chords where everything washes out and sustains (think My Bloody Valentine) = not as well unless you use the mix control to bring some clean signal in and turn the gate off to keep from it clipping you as you sustain.

I use it for shoegaze rhythym (and lead), but I can see certain styles within the genre where you'd want less of a fuzz and more of a distortion.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:49 am

dorfmeister wrote:Will this work well for shoegaze rhythm guitar?

Short answer--
Hell Yes.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:18 pm

So what is it most like? Muff?, Tonebender?, Fuzz Face?, SuperFuzz?, Scrambler?, something else? :poke:

Anybody compare it to the Fingerprint? :bob:

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:40 pm

It's a tiny bit like a muff, but not so much that you could call it a derivative of a BMP... It's actually like a whole new kind of dirt... :eek:

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Blurillaz wrote:It's a tiny bit like a muff, but not so much that you could call it a derivative of a BMP... It's actually like a whole new kind of dirt... :eek:

Yep. That's why I love it more than any fuzz box. It's a new fuzz and it carves out it's own space. It's thick and heavy like a big muff, but it's growly and middy like a weird cross between a Tone Bender and a Super Fuzz. Then you throw in the gate and all comparisons go out the window.

Short answer = If you love fuzz, you need this pedal. What site are we on?

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:44 pm

veteransdaypoppy wrote:
1,2,3, Pull Out! wrote:

Ugh, I wanted to go to that, but I had no money. I hear they're really loud now. Alex has got some sexy guitars; Fender Bronco, baritone Gretsch Spectra Sonic, Ovation Viper, Martin F-65 (!).

Sorry, I'm just really rather tired of power chords.

He actually played some phenomenal leads and some brilliant original effects play. I was amazed how much of the lead lines are him. If you haven't checked the new album, you should. His playing has really grown.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Ugh, I wanted to go to that, but I had no money. I hear they're really loud now. Alex has got some sexy guitars; Fender Bronco, baritone Gretsch Spectra Sonic, Ovation Viper, Martin F-65 (!).[/quote]

Sorry, I'm just really rather tired of power chords.[/quote]

He actually played some phenomenal leads and some brilliant original effects play. I was amazed how much of the lead lines are him. If you haven't checked the new album, you should. His playing has really grown.[/quote]

I second this, most of their songs riffs are based on their leads, not power chords, especially on the new album, you can tell Josh really pushed them as far effects and technique. I would like it noted that I HATE the first album, it's so generic and boring but they got really good and creative after that. I really liked The Last Shadow Puppets too. I think people who hated the first album should check out some of the later stuff, unless your one of those "ALL BRITISH BANDS SUCK!" people, like my friend. :picard: :picard: :picard:

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Okay, well, that's good to hear. At least he's a touring musician using his stuff. I dig me some Arctic Monkeys sometimes, but their earlier stuff was just maaaaaaaad power chords... Which was cool, but I figured three albums of that would be pretty trite.

Gotta check out their new album. mmm

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:38 pm

But, all British bands' songs rock!!!

except for Wonderwall :p

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Blurillaz wrote:except for Wonderwall :p

Well, Radiohead covered Wonderwall and it was fabulous.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:30 pm

So is Mike Flower Pops. :joy:

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:15 pm

veteransdaypoppy wrote:Okay, well, that's good to hear. At least he's a touring musician using his stuff. I dig me some Arctic Monkeys sometimes, but their earlier stuff was just maaaaaaaad power chords... Which was cool, but I figured three albums of that would be pretty trite.

Gotta check out their new album. mmm

my buddy just gave me a copy of Humbug the other day. :joy:

i had never heard of them before. it is a very tasty album!!! :thumb:
Post a reply