Educate me on the BitQuest + Expression Pedal

Moderator: Ryan

Educate me on the BitQuest + Expression Pedal

Postby Clean Channel » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:57 pm

The "What patch is your go to Quest" thread got me turning the knobs more than usual on my BitQuest this week.

I've come to the realization that some the patches I'm not using would be crazy cool with an expression pedal! Holy notch filter! Holy everything!

I know there is discussion about BQ+EP here and there around the forum, but I was hoping we could load this thread up to put all necessary info in one place.

First step: I move my BQ to the top corner of my board to expose the expression input.

Second step: I shamefully admit to all of you that I've never used an expression pedal with my pedals before, and that I need to you to explain it to me like I'm a child.

Some questions:

-What expression pedal(s) have worked for you?
I know Ryan says Moog EP-2. It seems Moog also makes an EP-3. Does that work too? Is the EP-3 a newer and better version of the EP-2?

-Seems Moog Audio here in Canada doesn't carry either the EP-2 or EP-3 (the hell?). Where do Canadians buy them?
I see amazon.ca used to sell them, but now listed as 'currently unavailable'. I'd prefer to buy within Canada right now as our currency has tanked against the USD.

-Ryan says I need a TRS expression pedal with 50k resistance. Can you think of any expression pedals that fit that criteria? How can I tell? Is that the most common expression pedal design?

-If I buy a one new, will it likely come with the necessary TRS cable?

-If I decide I wanna go big, and splurge on the most pimped out, hand-made, boutique, teflon coated, mojo dust expression pedal, who makes those ones?

-will my Boss FV-500H work? (I think not, cause it's mono, right? I dunno.)

-and finally, and probably most importantly: if you already have an expression pedal and use it with your BQ, what are your favorite applications?
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Educate me on the BitQuest + Expression Pedal

Postby Paul_C » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:05 pm

I've used an EP3 with mine.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby blakestree » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:30 pm

I have an EP-3. It comes with cable. I use it 96% of the time. With just about everything.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Clean Channel » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:47 pm

Ok, great, EP3 seems like the way to go!

Turns out on Kijiji there's only one EP3 for sale (used) in all of Ontario. It's about a 45min-1hr drive from here, so a bit of an annoying trek. HOWEVER it just happens that I'm scheduled to attend a retirement party this Saturday, and it's literally just one block away from the used EP3! (clearly it's destiny and I must get it).
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:48 pm

I used the Source Audio Dual Expression pedal and it works perfect. Never tried the EP-3. I hate the way those Moog expression pedals feel. My next expression pedal is going to be that programmable Source Audio one that looks fucking amazing and does wave forms and shit. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Clean Channel » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Well, hell!

I'll start with the EP-3, but Imma look into jwar's suggestion too!
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby blakestree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah, the EP-3 certainly isn't the best expression pedal. But, it is good for the money.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eric! » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:06 pm

SOMEONE has used an expression pedal on at least the filter setting!!
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:11 am

I have a demo of the filter + expression.

In general I like the Ep-3. But if you want to do filter sweeps the Roland ex-5 is better. The moog allows you to set the max value of the sweep but you can do that on the pedal anyway. The Roland allows you to set the minimum value for the sweep which really helps you get rid of any dead zones in the sweep.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Clean Channel » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Quick update: Picked up the Moog EP3 today and got to try it out briefly. It works beautifully and already a whole new spectrum of awesome starting screaming out of my BitQuest!

Tomorrow I'll have lots of time to try everything!

But oh man, jwar is right on, that Source Audio one looks amazing: http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/too ... roller.php

I'll splurge on that one when it's time for treating myself later this year...
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Clean Channel wrote:Quick update: Picked up the Moog EP3 today and got to try it out briefly. It works beautifully and already a whole new spectrum of awesome starting screaming out of my BitQuest!

Tomorrow I'll have lots of time to try everything!

But oh man, jwar is right on, that Source Audio one looks amazing: http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/too ... roller.php

I'll splurge on that one when it's time for treating myself later this year...

yea I'm waiting for a good deal on one then I'm going to pounce! That is THE expression pedal to own right now! Plus they build them like fucking tanks. Love their stuff.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Ryan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:25 am

Great thread, Tim, and thanks for the help in it, gents!

Adam, that expression pedal you linked is nuts.. I gotta get one of those, wow!

CV stuff can work with the BitQuest too, like the Expressionator or LFO outputs.. you can use controllers that have connections to power and ground, similar to the expression inputs on the Cosmi and Trem, but unlike the expression system I use in the Elements and Frazz.

It's confusing hey, all the different requirements for expression controls.. there's lots of different ways to do it and it all depends on the circuit and the builder, anything is fair game and the user just has to know a lot about it all.. makes it tough to get into.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:58 am

So did you ever get to try that expression pedal Ryan?? I want one, but the price. :( I'm waiting for a really good sale to nab one. hahaha.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Seance » Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

So.... Anybody using a Source Audio Reflex with the BitQuest (in conjunction with other pedals)?

Does the 10k of the Boss expression pedals (including the new EV-30 dual expression pedal) not
cover the full range of what's possible with the BitQuest, or does it lead to problems?

It seems like goroth was saying he liked the Boss EV-5 with the filter setting... so....
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Dr. Scientist