The Elements May 2012 - Binary Code Message

Moderator: Ryan

Re: The Elements May 2012 - Binary Code Message

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:44 pm

Man, I couldn't even guess what the next Elements finish will be.. I have no idea! It'll be months away though, we'll be making this white finish for maybe the rest of 2012, at least 4 or 5 months anyway.

I think it's probably best to use a 4' x 8' sheet of MDF for a pedal board and then you'll have room for all the finishes we're going to make over the next several years. Maybe put some wheels on the bottom and tow it behind your car.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Waterpilot » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:53 pm

thewordking wrote:LOVE the new finish. But do I sell my beloved black finish and get a new one? Do I keep the black one and buy the new one, too, and convince myself that I need a second board? What will the next finish be? Will I then need to justify a third board to hold all three? Argh.

The finishes are soooooooooo good. I've got the Steam Punk and the new White one. They are both going on the same board to capture the variety of its fantastic sounds. I kinda want to get a black finish one too though... :thumb:
Waterpilot

experienced
experienced

Postby Nikkiwebstershooters » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:43 am

Hey Ryan, when are Prymaxe getting the next batch of White Binary Elements? The first batch sold like hot cakes.
Nikkiwebstershooters

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Yo NWS! Cory just emailed me today to get more Elements and I'll get them out next week and they'll take ~2 weeks to arrive... let me know if you'd like to hear some other stores that have stock now. I've got 2 blems as well...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Nikkiwebstershooters » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:39 am

That's cool. It's no big rush. I just choose Prymaxe because they always have sales, and their international shipping is pretty good.
Nikkiwebstershooters

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Prymaxe's Elements will be in the mail on Wednesday, I'm finishing up the pcbs today! Thanks NWS! And I agree, Prymaxe rules, definitely one of my top favourite places to work with, maybe even favourite numero uno.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Nikkiwebstershooters » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 am

Little did i know Ryan, but Global Vintage here in Sydney is a distributor of yours. So of course i walked in today and walked out with a shiny new Binary White Elements!

So great to see not only your effects in a store here in Sydney, but a bunch of other boutique brands. They are quite hard to come by in these parts.

Also, the Elements sounds freakin' awesumo!
Nikkiwebstershooters

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Right on, I don't think I knew you were an Aussie! I probably could have been a lot more help, I'm sorry! Rene is great to work with though, I'm happy you found him. He only got that one Elements too, awesome it's in your hands now.

Let me know if you have any questions about it and thanks very much!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Nikkiwebstershooters » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Oh that's all good! It's been a long time since i bought locally. Mainly because the price difference is ridiculous, but all the Dr. S stuff was price a few $$$'s more than if i bought it overseas. That's seems rare over here. It was well worth it to support that little shop!

My only question now is about the expression pedal, although i figure it's been asked a lot. Is there a list of compatible expression pedals? I know that the Mission Engineering SP-2 that i have isn't compatible, but i'd like to get something so i can get the most out of the pedal. The expression control is a feature i've been wanting in a gain pedal for years now! I know the Moog one will work, but not too sure of what else? Which ones are around 50k Ohm resistance?
Nikkiwebstershooters

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm glad you feel that way and I guarantee Rene is too, thank you again! It can be really hard for international stores to compete since their shipping charges are so high.. it costs an arm and a leg to get a box of pedals to Australia with insurance and tracking, Canada Post is very expensive for that, but small businesses like us can't handle the stress and risk of shipping otherwise so it puts international stores in a tough spot. With your local purchase you supported him and us and we all appreciate it!

The thing about expression pedals is there's no standardization anywhere... some pedals have two pots that are both connected, that won't work. Some pedals, like volume pedals, have one lug of the pot going to ground, that won't work either. (Vol pedals will work for some exp inputs but they often have a weird taper, bunching up the range at one end of the throw) Some exp pedals don't have enough resistance to separate the dry and wet sides, that won't work either.

You need a TRS expression pedal with at least 25k ohms resistance, 50k is perfect though and will guarantee fully dry and fully wet sounds. There's a few that work well, by EB, BOSS, Roland, M-Audio.. I like the Moog one quite a bit though, very sturdy, great resistance range and taper, and only 50ish bucks. Howsabout this.. you tell me what's available to you there and I'll help you pick a gooder...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Nikkiwebstershooters » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks for all the help, Ryan! The easiest one i can find is the M-Audio EX-P (not sure of the value?), and that's only $40 shipped. There's also the Boss FV-50H for $90 shipped, Moog EP-2 for $99 (not sure if i could haggle the price down). Ideally i'd like something that doesn't already have a trs cable attached, so i could use my right angle trs cable to save on space. That narrows it down to the Boss. Although i'm sure i could work around a straight trs plug. Haven't been able to come across the EB one yet. Not in Au anyway.
Nikkiwebstershooters

interested
interested

Postby jmoote » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:37 am

If you get a Moog and want to get around the straight TRS plug, you can always do this:

Very easy, and it works with whatever TRS cable you want to use.
-Jeff
jmoote

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:19 pm

NWS, I've got the BOSS FV-50L and it doesn't work worth a damn as an expression pedal for the Elements. Remember though, volume pedals have one lug of the pot going to ground and that's never going to work for the Elements. I wouldn't recommend any volume pedal for this task.

Plus, there's no comparison between the BOSS pedal and the MOOG one quality wise, the MOOG one is bigger, heavier, and a better shape/easier system to have your foot on and use. (in my opinion) It's without a doubt a better expression pedal though! Except you'd have to mod it for your own TRS cables...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Nikkiwebstershooters » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Does the M Audio EX-P work fine? At less than half the price (for me to get it in Aus) i'm tempted. I figure the build quality won't be near as good. I told myself i wasn't going to buy an Elements yet (trying to save), but i couldn't say no to that finish! $40 seems easier to justify spending than the $100 which stores are trying to pedal (forgive the pun) for the Moog.
Nikkiwebstershooters

interested
interested

Postby Ryan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Woops I meant to mention about the M-Audio.. I got one of those over a couple years ago when I was working on the Tremolessence.. I *think* it worked ok with it but it broke after just a couple uses, some plastic bit inside broke. I'm a really light duty user too, I just use these exp pedals on my work bench with my hand.

So I don't know if that sucker works with the Elements as it wasn't borned yet.. but I think it would... but it's flimsy... you probably have spiders in Australia that could break it.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist