Yo! Bass player! Vote here...

Moderator: D-Rainger

Bassists! How do you like to blend your 'fuzz' with 'clean'?

A What is this... 'blend' word?! All fuzz or all clean! I am extreme and definite with my sound. I don't want no weak-ass clean safety net...
33%
B I gotta have a little bit of clean in there - at least for the dynamics and clarity, though it's mainly fuzz.
45%
C Half and half; the two sounds mix together to make one glorious solid tone!
12%
D A cool fuzz edge to the sound - so the overall tone is mainly clean, but with some attitude.
9%
E I put 'clean' through one channel, and 'fuzz' through the other... It's up to someone else to balance it...
No votes

Total votes : 33

Yo! Bass player! Vote here...

Postby D-Rainger » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:30 am

Bass players seem to like a 'blend' control on a fuzz pedal.
If you assume though that your fuzz - while being a full-on distortion - has plenty of big low-end already, speaking generally, how do you like to mix the dry sound with the effected?

(mini bass fuzz question)
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Re: Yo! Bass player! Vote here...

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:04 pm

While I like any combo because sometimes the blend thing is cool, I prefer a fuzz that sounds great on bass with no blend, no fiddling around, just fuzzz.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Pepe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:48 pm

It depends on the situation. I have no overall preference. But a blend knob is a good thing!
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby AxAxSxS » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:57 pm

A What is this... 'blend' word?! All fuzz or all clean! I am extreme and definite with my sound. I don't want no weak-ass clean safety net...
44%
B I gotta have a little bit of clean in there - at least for the dynamics and clarity, though it's mainly fuzz.
22%
C Half and half; the two sounds mix together to make one glorious solid tone!
11%
D A cool fuzz edge to the sound - so the overall tone is mainly clean, but with some attitude.
22%
E I put 'clean' through one channel, and 'fuzz' through the other... It's up to someone else to balance it...
No votes

Interesting math thing going on here.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:20 pm

monkeydancer wrote:While I like any combo because sometimes the blend thing is cool, I prefer a fuzz that sounds great on bass with no blend, no fiddling around, just fuzzz.

I agree with this; however blends can be cool to allow delays or other effects before the fuzz have more clarity.

If you implement a blend, I cant stress how much better seperate wet and dry volume controls are compared to a single mix knob. Like, infintely better. It helps dialing in more precise levels to the rest of your gear.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D-Rainger » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:35 pm

kbithecrowing wrote:
monkeydancer wrote:While I like any combo because sometimes the blend thing is cool, I prefer a fuzz that sounds great on bass with no blend, no fiddling around, just fuzzz.

I agree with this; however blends can be cool to allow delays or other effects before the fuzz have more clarity.

If you implement a blend, I cant stress how much better seperate wet and dry volume controls are compared to a single mix knob. Like, infintely better. It helps dialing in more precise levels to the rest of your gear.

I can really imagine that!
I'm actually considering adding a 'blend' switch....! All fuzz, or some fuzz with some clean - a non-adjustable mix, pre-determined by yourselves by voting! I think this pedal might do some fun new stuff - which will help distract you from a blend mix different to your usual...
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby neonblack » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:19 pm

I actually like that idea. I enjoy some limitations. Keeps me from endlessly tweaking. That's what I found appealing about my Accountant and that DBA Reverb.

I would do just enough clean for dynamics/low end retention. Maybe not quite a 50/50 blend. I definitely prefer the dirt to be at the forefront. I don't like the background fuzz sound but that's just my opinion.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby darthbatman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm the one percent that didn't vote
Down with the 1% !! Burn Wall Street !!!

I don't have a fuzz with clean blend but if I did I think I'd hover around 12 o'clock
darthbatman

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:15 am

D-Rainger wrote:
kbithecrowing wrote:

I can really imagine that!
I'm actually considering adding a 'blend' switch....! All fuzz, or some fuzz with some clean - a non-adjustable mix, pre-determined by yourselves by voting! I think this pedal might do some fun new stuff - which will help distract you from a blend mix different to your usual...

That sounds like it could be a cool way to do it without giving the pedal too many knobs to deal.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby aen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:42 am

FUCK SOME BLEND
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrmy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:10 pm

I LIKE TO BLEND MY FUZZ WITH MORE FUZZ.

I'm not even joking. Parallel fuzz, man. Wooly + crunchy. Gated + overdriven. Whatever. Just as long as it's dirt + dirt.
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:13 pm

kbithecrowing wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:45 pm

I think people are fooling themselves or perceiving having low end if they don't want a blended pedal. Now a clean blend doesn't have to be a must. But a mix circuit that blends the two together IMO is a must for a bass player. A lot of pedals, especially fuzz, lack low end retention without some kind of blend in them. Especially when using active electronics.

Oh and I used to feel the same way. That is until I spent thousands of dollars on every damn fuzz on the market and came to the realization that my bass doesn't sound like a bass without it.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Turkish » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:30 pm

I won't buy a fuzz for bass anymore without separate wet and dry knobs. Especially tuning down to B and trying to keep up with an Orange TH100 and 5150 in stereo . I've had some very highly regarded fuzzes vanish into the mix and end up on my guitar board. Megalith and Magnetar are 2 boxes that don't need a blend but other than that I haven't experienced anything that'll hold up.

And as far as the dry level...I just feather this in until I hear low end in a live mix. I want as much fuzz as I can get. I run a Creepy Fingers Superfuzz with a dry knob and its barely engaged. Just enough.

This is just my experience.
Turkish

interested
interested

Postby John » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 am

Crossovers, dude.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next