fuck vs mini

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Re: fuck vs mini

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:32 pm

PeteeBee wrote:Just ordered a Fuck. This'll be my first SSBS and I couldn't be more stoked for it. :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

:hello: :hug:

UglyCasanova wrote:I just wanted to chime in and say that I didn't really bond with my Mini, but I got a Fuck today and I love it. I could listen to Bass VI going through a crackle-heavy Fuck all day.

Never thought I'd love an OD, but this thing is sooo up my alley. :omg:

awesome! even though the circuits are so similar they are definitely two distinctly different pedals. weird :thumb:
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Doctor X » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:57 pm

whatever happened to the 18v mini experiment? :)
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby neonblack » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:15 pm

I have a Fuck coming so now I'll have Mini and Fuck on board!

I've had them both separately but never at the same time. Excited to run them together. I'm probably going to use the Fuck as an almost clean low gain sound and keep the mini cranked with the bias low for some nasty lo fi fuzzies!

:!!!:
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:57 am

OK, so...try as I might...

I just do not like the crackle on the fuck. Like, at all.

Am I doing it wrong? I just...ugh.

Sorry Brian. Its not you, it's me.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Doctor X » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:48 am

what dont you like about it?
for me, the trick is to get the right balance between drive and threshold (various slightly between the 2 modes)
i tend to like it just on the edge so that it cuts in just enough when a harder signal, but not overpowering the rest of the time
obviously its a crackly broken sound, so its entirely possible that sometimes/always people wont like it
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby KaosCill8r » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:16 am

neonblack wrote:OK, so...try as I might...

I just do not like the crackle on the fuck. Like, at all.

Am I doing it wrong? I just...ugh.

Sorry Brian. Its not you, it's me.

I don't own one but I'm thinking the crackle would be more suited to guitar sounds than bass or bass VI :idk:
Brian, is the crackle on the Fuck anything like the weird crackly type sounds I get and love on certain settings on the Hawk fuzz?
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:10 am

I'm not sure what it is that bothers me about it. I just don't think it's useful to me with my instrument/style. I like the way the OD sounds, but I have a Mini so its kind of redundant.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eric! » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:32 am

Some people don't like tape echo either.
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ChetMagongalo » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:28 pm

I don't really like crackle unless I'm stacking it with other pedals, that's when I think it sounds the best
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:52 pm

I like the low bias sounds on the Mini a lot. I guess I prefer mini crackle to fuckcrackle.

I think I just need 2 Minis. One on each end of my chain. Mini sandwich.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Doctor X wrote:what dont you like about it?
for me, the trick is to get the right balance between drive and threshold (various slightly between the 2 modes)
i tend to like it just on the edge so that it cuts in just enough when a harder signal, but not overpowering the rest of the time
obviously its a crackly broken sound, so its entirely possible that sometimes/always people wont like it

yep, that's the way i do it as well and envisioned other people doing it.

KaosCill8r wrote:I don't own one but I'm thinking the crackle would be more suited to guitar sounds than bass or bass VI :idk:
Brian, is the crackle on the Fuck anything like the weird crackly type sounds I get and love on certain settings on the Hawk fuzz?

it is definitely more suited to guitar/keyboards and/or drone-y/wash-y type things - the crackle stuff doesn't really do single note basslines any favors, though you might be able to get a really harsh fuzztone by using the heavy setting if that's the sort of thing you're into.
as for the hawk, i'm not sure exactly which sounds you're referring to but i think it's probably a bit different in terms of texture/attack/decay/etc.

neonblack wrote:I'm not sure what it is that bothers me about it. I just don't think it's useful to me with my instrument/style. I like the way the OD sounds, but I have a Mini so its kind of redundant.

hey, no worries! it's a pretty specific effect so i never expected everyone to get along with it and i totally agree that the mini bias control offers a little more versatile/non-specific sounds. they're different flavors for sure.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:31 pm

KaosCill8r wrote:I don't own one but I'm thinking the crackle would be more suited to guitar sounds than bass or bass VI :idk:

Full chords on a VI with some boost+verb (read; RRR) into crackle and gain heavy Fuck is amazeballs. One of my favourite sounds these days.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:06 am

I use a Fuck with my bass, and I prefer the Heavy switch versus the Light (haven't figured out a good setting on light side yet). But I really like using it as an effect to make it sound like my amp is about to explode, sounds incredible, especially when I can turn it on and glitch it with the Possessed while I play something else along with it. Sounds good with single notes and bass chords. Gonna have to test out doing this more when I get my Raptio.

Also the Fuck is like my favorite post-reverb OD.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mathias » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:34 am

I have my Fuck at the end of the chain, and I use the crackle stomp where other people might crank their analog delay's feedback knob to build up a wall of sound at the end of a song. Usually it's stacked with other pedals for this, especially the Ghost Echo right before it. I really like the "amp is blowing up" crackle sound when everything is loud. I think psychologically it's a nice relief when the song ends because it's telling our brains that things literally couldn't have been louder for that ending. YMMV, that's all I really use the crackle for.

Maybe in recording you could use it for some unique stuff if you blended with a clean signal or clean take and wanted a vintage / distressed sound.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Strange Tales wrote:I use a Fuck with my bass, and I prefer the Heavy switch versus the Light (haven't figured out a good setting on light side yet).

the heavy switch seems to be the consensus among bass players which makes total sense to me.

mathias wrote:I have my Fuck at the end of the chain, and I use the crackle stomp where other people might crank their analog delay's feedback knob to build up a wall of sound at the end of a song. Usually it's stacked with other pedals for this, especially the Ghost Echo right before it. I really like the "amp is blowing up" crackle sound when everything is loud. I think psychologically it's a nice relief when the song ends because it's telling our brains that things literally couldn't have been louder for that ending. YMMV, that's all I really use the crackle for.

Maybe in recording you could use it for some unique stuff if you blended with a clean signal or clean take and wanted a vintage / distressed sound.

using it in recording is totally awesome because you can really put the crackle stuff in the right place in the mix.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to smallsound/bigsound