"In the shop tonight" with Taylor

Moderator: Taylor Livingston

Re: "In the shop tonight" with Taylor

Postby Jwar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 pm

OMG gorgeous dude!!!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Taylor Livingston » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:19 pm

Eric! wrote:...purple. Luscious velvety royal purple!

I have some good news! These are in the shop right now.

http://ironether.com/shop/

Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby Tristan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:52 pm

That price, is that really the price of the new Nimbus? :eek:
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sylnau » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Tristan wrote:That price, is that really the price of the new Nimbus? :eek:

Not just the Nimbus :(
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Taylor Livingston » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:42 pm

These Oxides just went the shop.

ironether.com/shop/
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby Tristan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Makes one wonder what exactly was this story again about selling direct and not having dealers... :no: :lol:
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Taylor Livingston » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:05 pm

Hmm, I might be misunderstanding what you mean. I don't want to respond to my own misapprehension, so could you clarify?
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby King23 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Yeah, kinda vague.....Taylor, I'm a bit color blind, is that like a reddish/burgundy?
King23

involved
involved

Postby Taylor Livingston » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:42 pm

King23 wrote:Yeah, kinda vague.....Taylor, I'm a bit color blind, is that like a reddish/burgundy?

These have several layers of black and different shades of brown, red, and orange, and in between each layer the paint's been wire-brushed back so it's kind of like wiry veins of different shades. Overall it looks closer to dark brown and not so much red.
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby subsonic777 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Wonderful Pedal. Ordered!
subsonic777

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Tristan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Taylor Livingston wrote:Hmm, I might be misunderstanding what you mean. I don't want to respond to my own misapprehension, so could you clarify?

Selling direct was to keep prices reasonable right, you can hardly call this affordable anymore, lotsa sad panda's. :(
I mean, $245 for a fuzz pedal with no extra / special options what so ever.
But hey, it sells, so I guess I must be wrong. :idk:
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:06 pm

The pedal went up what? 20 bucks? I don't think that's unreasonable. I mean obviously it's all based on how much you're willing to spend. I dunno. The Oxide is a great pedal. These new ones look fantastic too.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby morange » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Hey man, he's not a public utility, you know? He has to make a living for himself, or else he has to get shit job like everyone else. It costs to produce a product and run a business. I'm sure the price isn't higher than it needs to be.
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Taylor Livingston » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:02 am

Tristan wrote:Selling direct was to keep prices reasonable right, you can hardly call this affordable anymore, lotsa sad panda's. :(
I mean, $245 for a fuzz pedal with no extra / special options what so ever.
But hey, it sells, so I guess I must be wrong. :idk:

Well, ultimately if somebody thinks the pedals cost more than they want to pay for them, that's not something I can argue. There are lots of things I'd like to have, but which cost more than I want to pay, so I don't buy those things. Other people feel differently about either the value of that amount of money, or the value of the good or service, and that doesn't bother me. It's never occurred to me to go into shops where people sell their handmade goods, and tell them that they aren't affordable to me. These people are not doing wrong to me for charging what they do.

The pedals I make are really time-consuming and costly to make, and an Iron Ether pedal from 2015 is not the same as one from a few years ago. The costs of everything used in making them have gone up in the last 5 years, and I've put a ton of work and money into redesigning each pedal inside and out, and all the processes involved in making them, to improve them in a variety of ways over the years, and to eliminate sources of pollution from the manufacturing and finishing processes. So it isn't a higher price for the same product, but a higher price for what I would argue is a much better product that takes considerably more time and more money to build than it used to.

It's genuinely something I've spent a lot of time worrying about, regarding making things that are generally affordable. First, it's worth noting that any pedal over $100 is not affordable to most people on this planet, so it was already an impossible hope to begin with. Once I got a real sense of the finances, I found that if the prices didn't go up, IE was going to have to go out of business - that's the reality of trying to make high-quality, individually hand-painted things.

So, you've made your opinion on the value of the pedals clear, and I actually don't want to try to change your mind because you're not wrong - value will always be subjective. Now that everyone has heard your position, I'm hoping I can continue to post here to let people know about the pedals without each time being accused of gouging or however you may characterize it. You could even start a whole new thread to debate it with other folks if you felt like you needed to convince them these pedals are over-priced. I'll stay out of the thread if you'd like, as I've always stayed out of opinion threads regarding IE as I don't want people to feel like they can't criticize without the maker arguing. But I might edit your posts to make it look like you're trying to convince everybody that Smash Mouth is the best band ever or something. :lol:
Taylor Livingston

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:37 am

Smash mouth is the best band ever.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

PreviousNext

Return to Iron Ether