Let's see your DRUMS!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your DRUMS!

Postby slaveone » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:43 am

There are some beautiful kits in this thread. Great idea! I really dig those wavy/zigzag Ludwigs that dorfmeister and iamthesnow have. Really nice.

Here's my SJC kit with a bit of a nautical theme:

I have 14" A Customs, a 22" Meinl crash, a 24" Istanbul ride, an 18" K Dark Custom crash and a 22" K Dark Ride that I swap with the Istanbul depending on what I'm playing. I'll try and grab a kit shot but the lighting in my studio is pretty bad.
slaveone

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby KaosCill8r » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:45 am

Fuck dude. Love that wood grain. What are those shells made from?
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby slaveone » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:47 am

KaosCill8r wrote:
kbithecrowing wrote:
ChetMagongalo wrote:one of my life goals is to have a music room where I can play drums whenever I want 24/7

Ditto.

Though a mate of mine went to the trouble of buying a small box truck just to put his kit in. He drives to industrial zones or deserted country roads at night to play.

The box truck idea is grand. Potentially expensive though, haha! Maybe I could start a delivery business during the day to pay for one. Then you could write off your 'music room', too.
slaveone

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby slaveone » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:48 am

KaosCill8r wrote:Fuck dude. Love that wood grain. What are those shells made from?

Cheers! It's burled walnut, though it's just the outer-ply. The shells are primarily maple.
slaveone

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby KaosCill8r » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:55 am

slaveone wrote:
KaosCill8r wrote:Fuck dude. Love that wood grain. What are those shells made from?

Cheers! It's burled walnut, though it's just the outer-ply. The shells are primarily maple.

Very nice. I need to re wrap my kit. It makes me want to go to to a cabinet makers supply company and look for some nice timber veneer to put on it. Would probably cost more than my kit is worth. Might just paint them satin black for the dooms.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby slaveone » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:15 pm

None more dooms than matte black.

Here it is with cymbals:

slaveone

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:28 pm

slaveone wrote:None more dooms than matte black.

Here it is with cymbals:

Very very very nice!!!! So nice that I'd be afraid to gig with that kit if it was me. How does the kick pedal attach to those style of kick drum hoops? Also what sizes are they? Looks like a standard 22 / 12 /16 but its hard to tell off pictures.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby slaveone » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:Very very very nice!!!! So nice that I'd be afraid to gig with that kit if it was me. How does the kick pedal attach to those style of kick drum hoops? Also what sizes are they? Looks like a standard 22 / 12 /16 but its hard to tell off pictures.

Actually, I haven't gigged it so far because I can't find hard cases to go over the drums with the hoops as big as they are. I'd consider bags...maybe.

The kick has a groove in the hoop so you can mount the pedal. Unfortunately, they didn't do that with the snare's lower hoop, so I had to bend my Yamaha basket arms a little bit to fit it. I couldn't find a bigger snare stand than the one I bought. With the hoops, it's actually over 16" across! D'oh.

Sizes are:

10x13, 12x15 hanging toms (I like odd sizes)
8x14 snare
18x22 kick

I have a PDP FS birch kit for when I've been playing out, but these days I've been spending most of my time playing guitar. I've used this kit for recording a few times, though and will continue to do so.

If I can save up enough, I might like to grab a deep 16" floor tom some day (17" is too weird even for me...I want to find heads easily).
slaveone

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:21 pm

slaveone wrote:
Ancient Astronaught wrote:Very very very nice!!!! So nice that I'd be afraid to gig with that kit if it was me. How does the kick pedal attach to those style of kick drum hoops? Also what sizes are they? Looks like a standard 22 / 12 /16 but its hard to tell off pictures.

Actually, I haven't gigged it so far because I can't find hard cases to go over the drums with the hoops as big as they are. I'd consider bags...maybe.

The kick has a groove in the hoop so you can mount the pedal. Unfortunately, they didn't do that with the snare's lower hoop, so I had to bend my Yamaha basket arms a little bit to fit it. I couldn't find a bigger snare stand than the one I bought. With the hoops, it's actually over 16" across! D'oh.

Sizes are:

10x13, 12x15 hanging toms (I like odd sizes)
8x14 snare
18x22 kick

I have a PDP FS birch kit for when I've been playing out, but these days I've been spending most of my time playing guitar. I've used this kit for recording a few times, though and will continue to do so.

If I can save up enough, I might like to grab a deep 16" floor tom some day (17" is too weird even for me...I want to find heads easily).

You probably need to upsize the cases, you'll need a 14 or 15 hardcase for the 13 and a 16 or 18 for the 15.

Gotcha on the attachments, why not get one of those expandable pearl snare stands, the arms adjust in and out to fit anywhere from 10 to 16 inch snares.

Its funny I'm the opposite I spend most of my time playing drums and even less playing guitar, mainly cause I play drums in the band and at home where I play guitar has been crazy for quite a while.

I've never even seen 17" drum heads before.... I would say your probably best going for a deep 16 to match that 13 rack.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby slaveone » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:Gotcha on the attachments, why not get one of those expandable pearl snare stands, the arms adjust in and out to fit anywhere from 10 to 16 inch snares.

I have the Yamaha equivalent. It's the biggest basket made (tied with the Pearl). I tried both, the Yamaha was marginally better, but neither actually fits. The drum is around 16.25-16.5" with the hoops. Oh well.
slaveone

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:42 am

slaveone wrote:
Ancient Astronaught wrote:Gotcha on the attachments, why not get one of those expandable pearl snare stands, the arms adjust in and out to fit anywhere from 10 to 16 inch snares.

I have the Yamaha equivalent. It's the biggest basket made (tied with the Pearl). I tried both, the Yamaha was marginally better, but neither actually fits. The drum is around 16.25-16.5" with the hoops. Oh well.

I gotcha. That's ridiculously wide with those hoops...... Your best bet might be to do something like the old Tama air ride stands and use a tom mount of some sort (like a rims mount or pearl optimount) with a short tom stand instead of a typical snare stand.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bon Hoga » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:39 am

Our little Premier Royale kit, finally with new heads:

Bon Hoga

committed
committed

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 am

So classy /\

So classy in fact that i'd feel required to wear a suit while playing that. :drool:
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:24 am

Ancient Astronaught wrote:So classy /\

So classy in fact that i'd feel required to wear my birthday suit while playing that. :drool:

Ftfy
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks bud. :hug:
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear