Pickups for Doom/Stoner?

Re: Pickups for Doom/Stoner?

Postby pelliott » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:35 pm

You would be very surprised and impressed by the clarity and definition of Lace pups. Really, really impressive.
pelliott

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Harry_Manback » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:36 am

Try the Dimarzio 36th Annis.
Harry_Manback

experienced
experienced

Postby HeavyXIII » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:46 am

maggot wrote:
HeavyXIII wrote:Deja vu... This is eerily familiar to my experience with amps and pickups. I have extensive experience with the AOR series, and found the 30 to have slightly less gain than the other models I've played. Overdrives and boosts were helpful in getting the drive I wanted, and your boost compensates as you've noted. All of mine have loved pedals (except delays in the fx loop for some reason) and I've found rolling off guitar volume for cleans hard to balance with pure amp gain specifically; you might want to take that into account, if cleans are important to you at all.

On the pickup side, I used the Tone Zone, and really didn't care for it either. I ended up with Super 2s, which are very clear, although a tiny bit lacking in the low end department. Dimarzio lists them as high output, but they don't seem that way. I've liked PAFs alright, but some I've played were a little muddy. I'm sure there's a PAF that would suit you, maybe something like a Humbucker from Hell or those newer PAF Masters might be good options.

As far as humbucker sized P90s, I didn't care for the only one I've used which was the GFS Mean 90. I think a few others on the forum did like them, so your mileage may vary.

Hope some of this gives you some ideas! Good hunting!

The cool thing about using the boost is that I use the high sensitivity input, but I turn the distortion channel off, because it gets so fizzy otherwise. Then instead of whatever fizzy shit the amp provides, you goose in with a big boost, and it's so much smoother. You can get early Iommi-ish tones pretty easily. I just need a touch more high end to provide a flash of light to some of the notes.

Are you using the combo version? I had a head version, and most that I've seen didn't have a gain boost, just a single channel. The combos are basically like the AORs I have now, gain boosts and all. I always loved the full gain capabilities of the amp, but it squeals like a fucking pig at the volume I need, and boosts and fuzz DOES seem a lot less noisy for me as well. I've actually got the 36th Anniversary PAF set in my LTD at the moment and they're nice pickups, but I do wish they were clearer, especially now that I've tried a couple of other PAFs to compare. Totally nails that "Elephant Riders" tone though, even without a boost. Very woolly with my setup/settings. See if you can find a direct comparison review video of the Masters set with the Anniv. set. I've heard I'm not the only one who found them a little woollier than I expected.

I'd second the Lace suggestion based on current bands (endorsers) and demos, but the prices always held me at bay from actually pursuing a set. I can't imagine you'd get anything less than you pay for though. Heard a LOT of great clips. Was always interested in the Hemi/Nitro Hemi.

**EDIT: Forgot to add, if you go the Dimarzio route and aren't satisfied with your choice, they'll exchange the set you bought for one of equal value over the phone; it's how I ended up with the PAF set after my disappointment with the Tone Zone set I initially purchased. Really great customer service. Not sure of other pickup companies doing this, but it's definitely worth looking into for each option you're considering.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby dub » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:24 am

Yeah, lots of ways to get the doom.
p90 in the neck though, hard to go wrong.

GOATSNAKE TONES.

I've got a set of BKP Mississippi Queens in my SG.

I can confirm this works nicely through an AOR (although mine's a 100 watter with EL34s). I generally have the gains at half way and run a boost. Yesterday I just stuck everything on ten though.
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:23 pm

The PAF Masters are significantly clearer and spikier than 36th Anniversary. There's a comparison demo on Youtube.

I'm probably gonna go for either those or some decent cheapie PAFs. I love P-90s, but I'm trying a humbucker first.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby crohny » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:19 pm

lace pickups hands down
crohny

committed
committed

Postby new05002 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:55 pm

I get mine made custom out of Atlanta, GA by Aveddisian Pickups.

https://www.facebook.com/avedissianpickups

http://www.avedissianpickups.com/
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Naterel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:03 pm

I just got a SD Phat Cat to put on the neck of my iceman, came with D Activators but I took out the neck and placed it in the bridge.

Hopefully the Phat Cat is as crisp as advertised.
Naterel

involved
involved

Postby Jakezor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Which Lace models are you guys thinking of when you mention them? Aluma-buckers, Deathbuckers, Sensors?

I haven't gotten to try a RailHammer 90 yet, but my local shop likes Reverends, http://www.railhammer.com/Gnarly_90_bridge.html
Jakezor

committed
committed

Postby pelliott » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Dirty Heshers for me. Got a really good deal on them on sale at MF a couple months ago. You CAN set them up for coiltapping too
pelliott

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby OrangeSunn » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:19 am

My guitar came stock with BBPros. Nice sounding pups, now it has a pair BK Aftermaths. Nice sounding as well. Probably gonna go back and or combine one of two, considering it's been awhile since I played the BBs. They seemed a little more forgiving and easier to work with. Each are high output but in a different way. Experimenting may be tedious and expensive, but nice to do, to get the best feel and clarity out of your rig. I think it's fun though. To me, it's sorta like the icing on the cake.
OrangeSunn

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:12 pm

I special ordered a bridge pickup from Buddha, If I like it, I'll get a neck pickup to match. Otherwise I'll be using a Mean 90. I don't use the neck pickup that much anyway. Specs: Alnico 4 wound to 9.0, 4 conductor. Little o' this, little o' that.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby benjuro » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:49 pm

dub wrote:p90 in the neck though, hard to go wrong.

GOATSNAKE TONES.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby maggot » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:06 pm

Putting a GFS Classic 59 in the neck because someone gave me one. I rarely use the neck pickup anyway. If I don't like what I've got after I set it up, I'll just slap some Mean 90s in there. The Railhammer hums look super cool, but I've not seen a demo that made me want to put them in a guitar. The Gnarly 90 is pretty enticing, though.

My distortion sounds are fuzzier than they are crunchy and my standards for pickups are "don't suck", so anything reasonably bright with a semi-tight ass should work fine. I'll report back.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby bigbadbeach » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:26 am

Anything by Zombie Dust is killer. The Doomsters kick ass
Destroy My Brains on Facebook Facebook.com/DMBDESTROYMYBRAINS
bigbadbeach

interested
interested

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org