Pickups for Doom/Stoner?

Pickups for Doom/Stoner?

Postby maggot » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:07 pm

I know that doom isn't that pickup intensive, but I'm moving from only using single coils and fuzzes to a humbucker guitar. Tune to C Natural/Drop Bflat. Haven't decided whether I'm gonna be leaning on pedal or amp distortion, but my rig is Laney AOR 30/ w extension cab. Possibly daisy-chained into a 70s Acoustic 120 bass head, with various boosters and fuzzes. Guitar is a Hagstrom. I want to be able to to have some clarity and melody ooze out from beneath the scuzz. And I'm used to single coils, so I'm leaning toward lower output if it'll work, and I don't like gritty-sounding pickups that much. Oh, and I play quiet by doom standards (loud for regular music, though).
maggot

committed
committed

Re: Pickups for Doom/Stoner?

Postby Beasleyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Between Seymour Duncan, Lace, Bareknuckle, Lundgren...Humbuckers, P90s, Humbucker-sized P90s, you have hundrends of choices. There's really no "doom" pickup, at least in my experience. Gotta find what works with your rig and gets the sound you want
Beasleyboy

committed
committed

Postby misterstomach » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:46 pm

I'd probably look pretty hard at the lollar pickups if I was looking for s lower output humbucker. That or some other PAF style. I think Seymour Duncan has a pretty cool PAF for not much money. They own the original pickup winding machine from the old Kalamazoo gibson plant and wind their PAF's on that, which is pretty cool.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:04 pm

Especially when downtuning I'd go Bareknuckle because they have extra punch and clarity without sounding clinical, which I think is optimal for that type of application.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby maggot » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:28 pm

I know that there is no real "doom" pickup, because people don't really talk so much about pickups, just looking for suggestions, especially among people using moderate-output humbuckers.

For reference, my favorite pickup is a P-90, my least favorite pickup is a Tone Zone and I'm trying to meet a humbucker that I actually like.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby celticelk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:43 pm

If you like P90s, why not get a humbucker-sized one?
If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
-Carl Jung

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk

committed
committed

Postby AxAxSxS » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:46 pm

celticelk wrote:If you like P90s, why not get a humbucker-sized one?
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Beasleyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:20 pm

I have Pig 90s in my SG. They are really fucking high output but they put out a ton of bass and still have clarity and that P90 feel. They make a humbucker sized verzion
Beasleyboy

committed
committed

Postby antennafarm » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:49 pm

man, seriously, go for some tv jones pickups. i've got them in my hagstrom swede and they work really well (powertron and powertron +, which are high output for a filtertron but still pretty low output in general... like a PAF, i guess) - just use your tone controls. LOTS of variations on them.
ANTIMAGIC MEDIA - antimagic.net
antennafarm

experienced
experienced

Postby Krosis » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Low output? Never heard of it.
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.

new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby maggot » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Krosis wrote:Low output? Never heard of it.

I've got a boost pedal that a friend made me takes care of that. It's based on an EHX linear power booster. It has a volume knob plus two more big knobs on it to click between various input and output caps.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby HeavyXIII » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:35 am

maggot wrote:I know that doom isn't that pickup intensive, but I'm moving from only using single coils and fuzzes to a humbucker guitar. Tune to C Natural/Drop Bflat. Haven't decided whether I'm gonna be leaning on pedal or amp distortion, but my rig is Laney AOR 30/ w extension cab. Possibly daisy-chained into a 70s Acoustic 120 bass head, with various boosters and fuzzes. Guitar is a Hagstrom. I want to be able to to have some clarity and melody ooze out from beneath the scuzz. And I'm used to single coils, so I'm leaning toward lower output if it'll work, and I don't like gritty-sounding pickups that much. Oh, and I play quiet by doom standards (loud for regular music, though).

maggot wrote:I know that there is no real "doom" pickup, because people don't really talk so much about pickups, just looking for suggestions, especially among people using moderate-output humbuckers.

For reference, my favorite pickup is a P-90, my least favorite pickup is a Tone Zone and I'm trying to meet a humbucker that I actually like.

Deja vu... This is eerily familiar to my experience with amps and pickups. I have extensive experience with the AOR series, and found the 30 to have slightly less gain than the other models I've played. Overdrives and boosts were helpful in getting the drive I wanted, and your boost compensates as you've noted. All of mine have loved pedals (except delays in the fx loop for some reason) and I've found rolling off guitar volume for cleans hard to balance with pure amp gain specifically; you might want to take that into account, if cleans are important to you at all.

On the pickup side, I used the Tone Zone, and really didn't care for it either. I ended up with Super 2s, which are very clear, although a tiny bit lacking in the low end department. Dimarzio lists them as high output, but they don't seem that way. I've liked PAFs alright, but some I've played were a little muddy. I'm sure there's a PAF that would suit you, maybe something like a Humbucker from Hell or those newer PAF Masters might be good options.

As far as humbucker sized P90s, I didn't care for the only one I've used which was the GFS Mean 90. I think a few others on the forum did like them, so your mileage may vary.

Hope some of this gives you some ideas! Good hunting!
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby t-rey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Beasleyboy wrote:I have Pig 90s in my SG. They are really fucking high output but they put out a ton of bass and still have clarity and that P90 feel. They make a humbucker sized verzion

I want a set of War Pigs for my SG Classic something fierce.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby maggot » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:27 pm

HeavyXIII wrote:Deja vu... This is eerily familiar to my experience with amps and pickups. I have extensive experience with the AOR series, and found the 30 to have slightly less gain than the other models I've played. Overdrives and boosts were helpful in getting the drive I wanted, and your boost compensates as you've noted. All of mine have loved pedals (except delays in the fx loop for some reason) and I've found rolling off guitar volume for cleans hard to balance with pure amp gain specifically; you might want to take that into account, if cleans are important to you at all.

On the pickup side, I used the Tone Zone, and really didn't care for it either. I ended up with Super 2s, which are very clear, although a tiny bit lacking in the low end department. Dimarzio lists them as high output, but they don't seem that way. I've liked PAFs alright, but some I've played were a little muddy. I'm sure there's a PAF that would suit you, maybe something like a Humbucker from Hell or those newer PAF Masters might be good options.

As far as humbucker sized P90s, I didn't care for the only one I've used which was the GFS Mean 90. I think a few others on the forum did like them, so your mileage may vary.

Hope some of this gives you some ideas! Good hunting!

The cool thing about using the boost is that I use the high sensitivity input, but I turn the distortion channel off, because it gets so fizzy otherwise. Then instead of whatever fizzy shit the amp provides, you goose in with a big boost, and it's so much smoother. You can get early Iommi-ish tones pretty easily. I just need a touch more high end to provide a flash of light to some of the notes.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:17 pm

I'm thinking of getting the DiMarzio PAF Masters. They're like 36th Anniversary wound on Alnico IV.
maggot

committed
committed

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org