Why arent we cool?

Re: Why arent we cool?

Postby DLDFUZZ » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:03 am

There are probably more pedal builders out there than...players
So, no surprise. Stuff it.
Personally, i would not want to make it in order to earn my daily bread.
DLDFUZZ

involved
involved

Postby echodeluxe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:10 am

honestly, great feedback here. most of this stuff is rehashing advice ive given to Jim, the big man behind Wattson.

unfortunately it falls on deaf ears. wah.

couple things though:

footswitch for the octave sounds cool in theory, but we tried it. its not really something you need to switch on and off quickly. the design with the knob was purposeful. blend as much octave in as you want. also, another fucking switch would add cost. fuck those stupid switches.

also, yeah another tubescreamer variant sounds boring, but you guys need to check it out with the O2 knob. it slays. and the trajectory switch. seriously sounds fucking bonkers.

also, in that fy-2 video, i was fucking shitfaced.

anyway, i forgot i made this thread. must have been drunk. your replies were great and helpful. especially about the website. id been fighting jim to fix that for YEARS.

oh well. but hey, stuff.
echodeluxe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:29 am

Good to see you back duder!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Eivind August » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Hm, when I was looking for a Superfuzz-clone, the Wattson one was the one that was mentioned the most. :idk:

I loved it, and still miss it sometimes.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby misterstomach » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:16 pm

i don't have much new to ad, but since this is the internet and i'm unemployed this week, i'm going to just spew my worthless thoughts out anyway and act like they matter.

i would say the fact that you have dealers and are making sales speaks to the fact that you have a quality built product and nice enclosures and it's appealing to someone because otherwise your image and name and marketing are boring as shit and if you didn't have something else going for you the company would be a total flop. i've never even looked at your website or pursued finding out about your products. i've seen the name and heard of you for a long time, but it's just so boring that there's nothing that says, "hey, maybe i wanna check that out." honestly, only like the top 1% of super gear nerds have even heard of shin-ei or would have that name mean a fucking thing to them. and only a little of that one percent is going to be in the market for a shin-ei clone. to everyone else the enclosures are just big and weird and the words "shin-ei fy-2" means nothing and your doing nothing to reach out to those people. i don't try to be consciously judgemental like this, but when i'm seeing a list of pedal company names, wattson classic electronics just gets passed over in my head. at best i might think it's a tgp kind of brand or something.

as an analogy, let's say pedals are like records. say i'm in the record store flipping through the stack with money in my pocket to spend on something. if i see a record that has words that stand out or at least have meaning to me and give me an idea that anything is going on, i'm more likely to at least pull the record out and look at the cover and look into it a bit. if it seems really cool, i might buy it or at least go home and try to check it out on the internet or something. "black arts toneworks quantum mystic" is a name with words that my brain at least associates with something. being who i am and what i'm into, the words make me think i might be interested. "wattson electronics fy-2" means nothing to me, and honestly, i can't think of who it would mean anything to. it's a record that everyone just flips past, whether it's in the jazz section, rock, metal or hip hop. and anyone who does look into it, outside of the tiny amount of people who are looking for an exact super fuzz clone, will see a pedal in big weird enclosure, with a circuit that has apparently not been influenced or effected by the last 50 years of music or technology.

other companies tend to give pedals their own name. even if it's a direct clone it gives it an identity related to you. you've probably got the attention of most people searching the internet for shin-ei clones, but that market is not likely to blow up anytime soon and you'll need to do something else to get everyone else's.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chuckjaywalk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:23 pm

misterstomach wrote:i don't have much new to ad, but since this is the internet and i'm unemployed this week, i'm going to just spew my worthless thoughts out anyway and act like they matter.

i would say the fact that you have dealers and are making sales speaks to the fact that you have a quality built product and nice enclosures and it's appealing to someone because otherwise your image and name and marketing are boring as shit and if you didn't have something else going for you the company would be a total flop. i've never even looked at your website or pursued finding out about your products. i've seen the name and heard of you for a long time, but it's just so boring that there's nothing that says, "hey, maybe i wanna check that out." honestly, only like the top 1% of super gear nerds have even heard of shin-ei or would have that name mean a fucking thing to them. and only a little of that one percent is going to be in the market for a shin-ei clone. to everyone else the enclosures are just big and weird and the words "shin-ei fy-2" means nothing and your doing nothing to reach out to those people. i don't try to be consciously judgemental like this, but when i'm seeing a list of pedal company names, wattson classic electronics just gets passed over in my head. at best i might think it's a tgp kind of brand or something.

as an analogy, let's say pedals are like records. say i'm in the record store flipping through the stack with money in my pocket to spend on something. if i see a record that has words that stand out or at least have meaning to me and give me an idea that anything is going on, i'm more likely to at least pull the record out and look at the cover and look into it a bit. if it seems really cool, i might buy it or at least go home and try to check it out on the internet or something. "black arts toneworks quantum mystic" is a name with words that my brain at least associates with something. being who i am and what i'm into, the words make me think i might be interested. "wattson electronics fy-2" means nothing to me, and honestly, i can't think of who it would mean anything to. it's a record that everyone just flips past, whether it's in the jazz section, rock, metal or hip hop. and anyone who does look into it, outside of the tiny amount of people who are looking for an exact super fuzz clone, will see a pedal in big weird enclosure, with a circuit that has apparently not been influenced or effected by the last 50 years of music or technology.

other companies tend to give pedals their own name. even if it's a direct clone it gives it an identity related to you. you've probably got the attention of most people searching the internet for shin-ei clones, but that market is not likely to blow up anytime soon and you'll need to do something else to get everyone else's.

You literally just made me want a Wattson.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:21 pm

I tried Eivind August's Wattson FY-6, and it was great.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:13 pm

chuckjaywalk wrote:
misterstomach wrote:i don't have much new to ad, but since this is the internet and i'm unemployed this week, i'm going to just spew my worthless thoughts out anyway and act like they matter.

great. i just re-read my post and i kind of sound like a jerk. didn't really mean to. i was trying to be helpful and honest, but that's apparently kind of difficult when you're drunk and depressed. anyway, i guess if you buy one then i was helpful in a different way, which is great. cause my post probably wasn't helpful at all in any other way.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chuckjaywalk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:21 pm

misterstomach wrote:
chuckjaywalk wrote:

great. i just re-read my post and i kind of sound like a jerk. didn't really mean to. i was trying to be helpful and honest, but that's apparently kind of difficult when you're drunk and depressed. anyway, i guess if you buy one then i was helpful in a different way, which is great. cause my post probably wasn't helpful at all in any other way.

:hug:

As a fellow depression sufferer, I feel your pain. I'm prone to the same thing.

(For the record, Shin-ei Companion fuzzes are kinda my thing, since I found out Jesus and Mary Chain use them, many moons ago. To each their own journey through this life.)
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby northerntone » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:49 am

Just joined the board, but found this thread and had to say this: the EFY-6 is my top beloved fuzz. When you hear the octave dialled out on either of the tone settings, it's like "holy s__t". I constantly get dropped jaws when I engage the pedal. I've actually owned two, one of those "once I sold it I realized how bad I needed it" pedals.

So you're definitely cool :)

In terms of "hype" though, it's about visibility. And right now, YouTube is the easiest/fastest way. Get your pedals in front of all the top pedal review guys, ASAP. You know the ones. The EFY-6 is such a gem but I go on YouTube and can't believe there are no proper EFY-6 demos. At this point that's the main reason no-one really knows about you.

Two final thoughts - it may just be me, but I really wish fuzz makers would identify in their specs when their pedals yield less noise with 9v batteries vs isolated power supplies. The EFY-6's the noise floor doubles with any Voodoo Lab power supplies I've tried.

And for pedals that work better with batteries, a external on/off toggle would be handy to ensure people don't drain their batteries when leaving patch cables plugged in.

Looking forward to what you guys come up with next!
northerntone

interested
interested

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:04 pm

See, we're :cool: and we just don't know it.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby echodeluxe » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:22 am

haha woah

i love you guys
echodeluxe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:41 am

I've always wanted a FY-2 type fuzz and I've been looking at wattson a bit lately. But on the footswitchable octave thing; my (completely unqualified) brain thought that maybe a CV/exp input that takes over the octave knob could be cool? Kinda unique, and I bet people could do some crazy stuff with it. Just an idea :)*
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:02 am

That's a cool idea for sure. Sweep those octaves in and out. :snax:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:18 am

I should totally get one for free for cracking this genius idea right :hug: :snax:
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Wattson Classic Electronics