What humbucker style pickups do you use and why?

Re: What humbucker style pickups do you use and why?

Postby conky » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:
What's the parallel axis? haven't heard / of that one before?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... _parallel/

I first heard about them from Rich Ward (Don't laugh, Stuck Mojo was one of the bands I first got way into when trying to figure out new techniques and stuff. They had the Helmet groove but with bad ass bluesy soloing.) Rich told me that they were suited for high gain and were always crystal clear no matter how much discordant shit you tried them with. His rig was a 70's Les Paul Standard into a 50 watt JMP. On the albums he double tracked both right at left rhythm tracks and they were always cutting and clear with plenty of chunk in the ass end. Kinda wanted one ever since.

Please Doom Room, don't shun me for showing my rap metal roots.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:21 pm

rap metal...wow, those were dark days in metal!

the dark winter pickups sound intriguing...i can see a guitar with those pickups in my future...
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Krosis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:01 pm

I have Black Winters in my Epi G-400. They are VERY high output. Great for doom though. Just know you're going into it breathing fire with these things. They might be borderline overkill thought but they get the job done. I love the way they sound in C Standard with 12s and a good fuzz pedal. I currently have my Epi in B standard and the pups handle Electric Wizard like nobody's business. I'm not sure I prefer this tuning though and might go back to C. We'll see.

I don't know if I'd get a second guitar outfitted with these pups though, because variety. My Epi needed and upgrade so I figured I'd go for broke. I generally like Gibson pups too so I've left those in my Gibsons. Gibson 490T is a pretty solid pup for doom. You could even try the 500T if you're feeling frisky. A lot of people seem to like Duncan Distortions so those are probably a good choice too. Looks like I'm buying Conk's SG with a Distortion in the bridge so I'm excited to doom on that.
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.

new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby t-rey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:22 pm

conky wrote:

I first heard about them from Rich Ward (Don't laugh, Stuck Mojo was one of the bands I first got way into when trying to figure out new techniques and stuff. They had the Helmet groove but with bad ass bluesy soloing.) Rich told me that they were suited for high gain and were always crystal clear no matter how much discordant shit you tried them with. His rig was a 70's Les Paul Standard into a 50 watt JMP. On the albums he double tracked both right at left rhythm tracks and they were always cutting and clear with plenty of chunk in the ass end. Kinda wanted one ever since.

I think a lot of us around our age have some numetal/rap metal skeletons lurking in the closet.

Re: Humbuggies - I have the Duncan Designed knockoff JB/Jazz in my Schecter and see no reason to change them. Had to leave that guitar in a moving truck in the summer for like a fucking week once like ten years ago - all the wax melted out of the pickups and it sounded better than it did, so I'm not going to fuck with it.

I really, really want to try a distortion in the bridge of the next guitar I get though.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ryan summit » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:30 pm

t-rey wrote:I think a lot of us around our age have some numetal/rap metal skeletons lurking in the closet.

i have my skeletons under a pile of rotting corpses
smoldering remains of burnt bridges
thousands of broken dreams
any empty space filled by the musty stench of self loathing

but i never
ever
had any of that shit in there

to be fair
one of my skeletons has a lighting bolt on its forehead
and its wearing a phish t-shirt
i use to love them parking lots at the meadowlands as a kid
I've always chosen drugs over punkrock
(whoa,just realized the last 3 years have been Punkrock>drugs)
ryan summit

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ryan summit » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:36 pm

(freakin tangent assface)^

anyone know anything about Warman pickups
I've been looking at the g-rail
they're like $45
but seem like they'd kinda kick ass
http://warmanguitars.esellution.co.uk/s ... re-output/
Attachments
NHCgl8WgsW.jpg
NHCgl8WgsW.jpg (15.07 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
ryan summit

Supporter
Supporter

Postby doommeow » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Despite our collective blooze lawyer mockery, surprised there's no PAF love. That was my wheelhouse for long time, especially in an LP. Gimme a low wind, unpotted humbucker with some rough A4 mags in the neck position.... Will almost get you into P-90 territory w/o the noise. Love em.

But these days I don't have any Les Pauls, anything with HB's in the neck (unless you count 4th position on my tele), and nothing with A4's.

Want thick huge spitting power on cheap? Find the bridge pickup from a SQ51 - i'm sure Squire/fender used it in other guitars, but I don't know/remember if it had an actual name. But find one. Then rip out the magnets that are in there, ceramic IIRC. Drop in some A8's. Sounds HUGE in the bridge of my SG wraptail, but matches perfectly with the Mean90 in the neck. Mean9000.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby misterstomach » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 pm

i was going to add, but forgot, that i have a friend who has the same guitar as mine but his has a 70's(ish) gibson t-top humbucker in the bridge that is pretty amazing. i think you can find those for not too much. hell, i should look for one.

AA- it's kind of ironic that the black winters aren't actually that good for black metal type of stuff. makes me rethink the idea of getting one, since even though the doom heavies are a big part of everything, most of my playing is more in a black metal vein.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Krosis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:38 pm

I thought it was just me or my rig but yeah I found the Black Winters to be not as insta-Scandinavia as I assumed. Oh well, I don't really play that style anyway.
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.

new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby HeavyXIII » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:36 am

I used to own one of those Eastwood Ovation Ultra GP copies. I'm not super sure the pickups were what they said they were, but when I swapped it in favor of a more playable Agile, I opted to find what they said they used, Dimarzio Super 2s. Makes sense why they work for me: slightly hotter than PAF, midsy and bright as FUCK. I even used one in each position, like the Eastwood/Ovation. Haven't looked back. Very cutting and articulate for chords.

Come to think of it, I'd probably like noise cancelling single coils or P90s as well. Brett's strat didn't lack in the balls department when I saw Pallbearer last week. Maybe I'll end up with a tele as a backup guitar someday.

I actually have the Dimarzio PAF style pickups in an LTD that was my first guitar. I love how round and clear they sound, but I won't know how they work for my current project until I pony up to tuning that sumbitch down.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:10 pm

conky wrote:

There ain't nothing wrong with Stuck Mojo. All the musicians are bad the fuck ass (that drummer is FUCKING BEAST) and their production is always top notch. Plus I don't really put them down as rap metal, their like Candiria the vocalist may have flow but its definitely not "rap".

misterstomach wrote:AA- it's kind of ironic that the black winters aren't actually that good for black metal type of stuff. makes me rethink the idea of getting one, since even though the doom heavies are a big part of everything, most of my playing is more in a black metal vein.

I agree, I'm sure if you plugged em into say a Marshall MG series amp it would sound black metal as fuck, but otherwise no totally not what I would choose for black metal. It's way looser feeling than is needed for non stop trem picking, and its not harsh enough in the top end to get that biting tone IMO.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jwojtysiak » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:22 pm

I ended up ordering the Black Winter for the neck. I'm looking at some used Distortions for the bridge. The Gibson Paf looks interesting also. How are those GFS Mean 90s? Keep 'em coming. Thanks!
jwojtysiak

committed
committed

Postby misterstomach » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:25 pm

misterstomach wrote:AA- it's kind of ironic that the black winters aren't actually that good for black metal type of stuff. makes me rethink the idea of getting one, since even though the doom heavies are a big part of everything, most of my playing is more in a black metal vein.

I agree, I'm sure if you plugged em into say a Marshall MG series amp it would sound black metal as fuck, but otherwise no totally not what I would choose for black metal. It's way looser feeling than is needed for non stop trem picking, and its not harsh enough in the top end to get that biting tone IMO.

looks like i'll probably be sticking with my trusty distortion. i actually have a jb sitting around waiting for me to get another guitar to try it in. i've been curious about them for years and a lot of folks like them as a little different take on things from the duncan distortion. my bandmate just gave me one a while ago to try. same as before though, i'm not terribly inclined to pull my distortion to try it. if only i weren't so lazy.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby doommeow » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:11 pm

jwojtysiak wrote:I ended up ordering the Black Winter for the neck. I'm looking at some used Distortions for the bridge. The Gibson Paf looks interesting also. How are those GFS Mean 90s? Keep 'em coming. Thanks!

For PAF's Gibson doesn't make anything that I love, I'd be looking elsewhere. On the mass produced side - Dimarzio anniversaries or Seth Lover. On the cheap Rose, maybe Tonerider. High end, I really like Skatterbrane. In between, Zhangbucker is always a reliable go-to, great customer service, hard to beat prices, especially on his specials page - there's an A4, 12+k for $60 I'd grab in a heartbeat if I had the need. If I had the need and a whim to fill, my next pickup-to-kill-people purchase would be a Zhang Plutonium 239.

Mean90s? Love em. Or at least love the sole one with which I'm experienced, in the neck of my SG. It's totally on par sonically with any of the custom, pricey, and/or boutique pickups I've used in the past. It's also fucking leagues above any of the other GFS pickups I've used before, which ranged from an acceptable meh to unflushable turds. Would be curious to see if there's any sonic difference between metal vs plastic cover, but I'm satisfied as is - no yen to change, no gas to experiment with a more expensive HB/P90 style or anything else - which for me, that's saying something. So YMMV, but as someone that generally loathes choosing and buying pickups, I think it's pretty damn great.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Krosis » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:20 pm

How noisy are the Mean90s compared to other P90s? I sold my Gibson with P90s cause I couldn't deal with the noise anymore.

Krosis

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org