Count To Five

Moderator: multi_s

Re: Count To Five

Postby multi_s » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:Quantize is great :omg:
So is the expression jack, just started using that with the gb24 :!!!:

This is a finer detail, but since I haven't finished making the manual video i'll note it. If you have the expression pedal plugged in and EXP switch set so that the expression pedal functions as the DIR 1 knob, you still use the on pedal DIR 1 knob (not the expression pedal) to select quantizations. The position of the expression pedal will not pick the quantization, even if it controls DIR 1.

So once again, quantizations, go to mode 1, use the DIR 1 knob with the soft footswitch always.

Also regarding "not wanting to miss...", Right now i think there are still a few days left of the free shipping/intro price promotion, so it is cheaper to buy it now rather than later, but after this week it will still be in production until at least the end of this year, and more likely until something supercedes it.

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Joe Gress » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:04 am

Email sent. I want this so bad
awesome signature with witty quotes from all you fuckers :)
Joe Gress

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:54 am

Payment sent....and now we play the waiting game

Pretty happy I made it in before the end of the intro price and free shipping period!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby goroth » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:34 am

Thanks for the info Scott. I haven't tried mine with the gig rig yet, but at home volumes I'd say this pumps out shit loads of volume at anything above around 25% wet. But I'm not going to mess with anything until I've checked properly at a decent volume.

But man... Mode two... Woahooo!!!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby skullservant » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:08 am

Recorded a song using the Count to 5 on Goodbye 24 mode 1, I'm going to master it tonight and I'll post it up here!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am

skullservant wrote:Recorded a song using the Count to 5 on Goodbye 24 mode 1, I'm going to master it tonight and I'll post it up here!

sweet times, and if your doing some mastering, id be interested in anyone's take on this:

http://mixgenius.com/landr/

Its another Montreal startup and i've met a few of the people involved since its about a block north of where i work out of. Very interesting but since I don't record much music myself i haven't been able to seriously try it out.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby skullservant » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 am

Oh man, I'll have to try that out tonight!!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sparrow » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:39 pm

multi_s wrote:
skullservant wrote:Recorded a song using the Count to 5 on Goodbye 24 mode 1, I'm going to master it tonight and I'll post it up here!

sweet times, and if your doing some mastering, id be interested in anyone's take on this:

http://mixgenius.com/landr/

Its another Montreal startup and i've met a few of the people involved since its about a block north of where i work out of. Very interesting but since I don't record much music myself i haven't been able to seriously try it out.

neat! i just did a quick sample with an old track i did. with drum loops. bass/ guitar/ vocals.
i just uploaded my file to the site. it did it's thing with in a few minutes. and it gives you a sample where you can click between your original and the New "mastered" version. i notice a Better EQ for the mix. my cheesy solo stands out more. the Bass i recorded stands out more. pretty slick. super easy to use.
Blue Strat - Jazzmascis - Tele.
Fender - Squier.
Dr. Scientist - Dirge - FuzzHugger - Montreal Assembly - Hypnodrone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparrow1133
Sparrow

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lifetimesupply » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Wow, what a really cool idea. Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely try that out.
lifetimesupply

interested
interested

Postby Tristan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:10 pm

multi_s wrote:
Tristan wrote:Guess I still need to get the right "touch" for it but it works now so that's cool. :lol:
Any word on the internal mix /volume trimpot, I remember the Goodbye 24 has one but I don't know about the Count To Five?
It's loud as balls, especially on upper interval settings, I can only turn it up halfway max without me getting shocked, joking of course, but it's kinda loud. :lol:

It really shouldn't be that loud. There are 2 trim pots inside but 1 of them you really don't want to touch so please read this carefully and be mindful if your going to make any adjustments.

You remove the back, look in the middle of the pcb, component side, there are 2 blue trim pots. You may be able to see on the silkscreen that the one closest to the edge of the PCB says 'offset' beside it. Do not touch this trim pot.

Look at the other trim pot now, it might be hard to see with the pcb in the case but it says 'gain' beside it. You can try using a small screwdriver to turn this counter-clockwise and it will reduce the level of the signal going into the dsp, and in turn lower the volume coming out. This is the only gain adjustment that can be made user side. If it is really really off maybe there is a wrong part in the mixer section, although i tested all units before being sent out and they seem ok. So if you still have problems please email me and we can look further into it.

Keep in mind also that the pedal layers several copies of the same sound in certain settings, so for example in mode 3, with only 1 DIR knob active, the wet sound is much quieter than when all 3 heads are active. Similarly, the first mode with high feedback will seem louder than when feedback is at the min. The mix knob might not be as set and forget as you wish if you are always trying to have the clean and wet exactly even.

And now, as only half a joke, another problem in general is that your ears don't hear all frequencies evenly. So if you take a low tone and constantly pitch it up, there will be some perceived volume increase as it traverses the mids, even if it maintains exactly the same amplitude. This is why things like this exist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour and psycho acoustics is an actual field of study.

Now since the pedal doesn't track pitch at all, i make no attempt to remedy this in the firmware, save for a low pass filter that will choke out pitches that are getting piercingly high, but that's not really the same issue.

I'm not saying this to be like "oh its not the pedal, its your ears" as a cop out. I think its an interesting comment and thought you might find it an interesting reply.

Cool, thanks for the info, I'll try working with the internal trimpot a bit.
Right now the range I'm using and I'm trying to balance out on the mix lies between 2/3 and 3/4 up, which is quite narrow.

Sure thing, that's basically what I was trying to say put in more technical terms, I dunno, because of the higher resolution the Count To Five somehow seems to pick up more sound than the Goodbye 24 and therefore gets more louder compared to the dry signal in perception, that would be my guess at least.
The feedback and mix are also more interactive I'd say, so yeah, it's a bit of a different kind of beast but also a very nice one at that I must say! :)
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby multi_s » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:29 pm

ya in the end it may even be somewhat a matter of taste. take a poke at the gain knob and if you can't find a range you like let me know.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cedarskies » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm

:!!!: it's so fun!!!
cedarskies

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Tried out Mix Genius on the track and I dig it! Really simple to use and brought punch and clarity to the mix.

Here's the track, I'm calling it In Limbo after the Skeleton Prince FX Delay that I used as part of the demo process:

skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Joe Gress » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Sounds awesome! Almost Mowai meets sludge haha

Hey would you mind posting the original un-mastered track for an a/b? For shits and giggles, and I'm curious on the quality.
awesome signature with witty quotes from all you fuckers :)
Joe Gress

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby skullservant » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Yeah let me get that uploaded as well. I noticed that when I used the service that it exported it as MP3, and then when I upped it to Soundcloud I got a little bit of digital distortion on it, but as an MP3 on my computer it sounds perfect
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly