Any solid state love?

Re: Any solid state love?

Postby skullservant » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Grrface wrote:No Traynor love in here?

The grind in your TS200 is fucking awesome. Just, that whole sound in general is great.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby darthbatman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:09 pm

I play bass and it seems it's not nearly as big a deal as it is for guitar tone.. But yes I play a solid-state Thunderfunk 550 Bass Amp and i love the shit out of it.
darthbatman

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:04 am

darthbatman wrote:I play bass and it seems it's not nearly as big a deal as it is for guitar tone.. But yes I play a solid-state Thunderfunk 550 Bass Amp and i love the shit out of it.

Now that is an amp you don't hear much about this side of the Mighty TB.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MeSoFuzzy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:54 pm

SWR SM-400 :thumb: Totally open on the frequency spectrum. Tons of low end and does not roll off the highs as well. I highly recommend it before someone in the mainstream runs their mouth about it and jacks the prices up. Don't pay more than $300. Also, if you want a B.C. Green/Godflesh tone, this amp delivers.
MeSoFuzzy

experienced
experienced

Postby retinal orbita » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:59 pm

I have one of each, but I'm starting to use my solid state Yorkville 300w head way more, I switch between bass and guitar so it's easier to just play through one amp, it's got nice cleans, takes pedals well, a nice EQ.... and it's LOUD AS ALL FUCK. Last show we played I just took the bass amp and it was great for both instruments....
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ethanxcampos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:03 pm

mc_muench wrote:
Krosis wrote:So speaking of Peaveys...there are so many of them. Which Peavey SS should I be on the look out for? In other words, which are the ones that fall into the category of "if you see it, buy it!"?

I get picky when it comes to old SS peaveys, I stick to pre mark series. Maybe a mark 3, but not much newer, to my ears the later marks get a bit sterile and loss that grind when cranked. Really the one Peavey I'd say "if you see it, buy it" is the Peavey Standard 260 series. They don't come up as often as the Musician/Bass 400 series which aren't bad, they're great, I just like the Standards better. And I only say the Standard because I want all the Vulcans to myself muhahaha...

I picked up the exact Peavey head you are talking about for 60 bucks from some kid who was using as a mixer. This maybe a dumb question but how do I dial in some distortion on this thing? It's not like the old Sunn silverface heads where you had to use a footswitch to engage the distortion is it?
ethanxcampos

involved
involved

Postby mc_muench » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 pm

ethanxcampos wrote:
mc_muench wrote:
Krosis wrote:So speaking of Peaveys...there are so many of them. Which Peavey SS should I be on the look out for? In other words, which are the ones that fall into the category of "if you see it, buy it!"?

I get picky when it comes to old SS peaveys, I stick to pre mark series. Maybe a mark 3, but not much newer, to my ears the later marks get a bit sterile and loss that grind when cranked. Really the one Peavey I'd say "if you see it, buy it" is the Peavey Standard 260 series. They don't come up as often as the Musician/Bass 400 series which aren't bad, they're great, I just like the Standards better. And I only say the Standard because I want all the Vulcans to myself muhahaha...

I picked up the exact Peavey head you are talking about for 60 bucks from some kid who was using as a mixer. This maybe a dumb question but how do I dial in some distortion on this thing? It's not like the old Sunn silverface heads where you had to use a footswitch to engage the distortion is it?

No I believe if you have the foot switch you can turn the distortion and reverb on and off but without a foot switch they default to on.

Theres a few ways to get the standard to to grind a bit. On the effects channels there should be a distortion knob, use that guy, he does what he's labeled to do, on mine it doesn't do much until like 10 o'clock and up.

Another way is to jump the channels, plug into one of the channels like normal, take another cable from the input you didn't use on that channel and plug it into an input of the other channel on the head. Adjust knobs to liking. Doing this your using both channels to push the amp harder to distort more. I plug into the top input of the effects channel and run a cable from the lower input on the effects channel to the upper input of the normal channel.

I'm using my standard With my bass rig right now, while my Vulcan is being restored, and I found a great straight in grindy tone, I'm not using any pedals! That's crazy to me. I believe I have the distortion at like 1 o'clock, and the channels jumped. Grindy, full of sustain, very responsive to my playing attack but no crazy feedback.
Rev. DOOM, The Dude of DOOM, DOOMER, El DOOMerino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing...

PVYHenge ~|~ Bear amps ○)))

http://vegawi.bandcamp.com
http://galactichatchet.bandcamp.com
mc_muench

committed
committed

Postby Swollenpickle666 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:39 am

I've got this rare randall sustainer 140 ss head :thumb:
I scream, you scream, we all scream for morphine
Swollenpickle666

involved
involved

Postby KaosCill8r » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Iommic Pope wrote:Then I got a marshall valvestate. People hate on them, I really liked it. Was simple, fairly portable, sounded fine. I sold it to my brother in law. Hoping he doesn't hock it...

I have a Marshall Valvestate VS102R and love it a lot. Also have a Fender Hotrod Deluxe all valve that I love also. Strangely enough it's the Valvestate I use all the time. The Fender just gets used by other people when they come for a jam or the occasional recording track.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Sea Lord » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 am

I recently got the new Randall RG1003H and eventho I mostly use it to crack out some Old School Death Metal it does the doom too. For this price I can really recommend it. Even the clean channel is quite good and the reverb isn't to bad either.
Sea Lord

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby t-rey » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:46 pm

Somebody talk to me about the Randall RG100 Classic. There is one for, what I'm assuming is, stupid cheap near my hometown.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 pm

if it's a 100 bucks, why not just throw down and get it? I've seen some for pretty cheap recently as well. but I'm not as interested in them, nor have I heard much good or bad about em. only about the Randall RG100 ES. and obviously the orange faces.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Barracuda » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Sea Lord wrote:I recently got the new Randall RG1003H and eventho I mostly use it to crack out some Old School Death Metal it does the doom too. For this price I can really recommend it. Even the clean channel is quite good and the reverb isn't to bad either.

Oh shit, thanks for this. I have had my eye on these since I realized they are the price of a fancy pedal.
Barracuda

committed
committed

Postby ronripper » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:07 pm

All my favorite amps are SS or more accurately hybrid amps as I generally run a tube pre with a SS power section.

I always use pedals for dirt, so it's all about having a great clean base to work with. I find that SS amps give me more headroom and cleaner low end than all the tube amps I've owned.

My current favorite is an ampeg svt-III non-pro. It sounds 99% like the svt-II non-pro I owned and loved, but with great dynamics and more deep low end headroom.

Both of the other guys in Bongripper are running SS amps along with their tube amps for pure extra volume. An OG GK 400rb and an acc220 both sound awesome, and double as great bass amps too.
ronripper

committed
committed

Postby Barracuda » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:34 pm

ronripper wrote:All my favorite amps are SS or more accurately hybrid amps as I generally run a tube pre with a SS power section.

I always use pedals for dirt, so it's all about having a great clean base to work with. I find that SS amps give me more headroom and cleaner low end than all the tube amps I've owned.

My current favorite is an ampeg svt-III non-pro. It sounds 99% like the svt-II non-pro I owned and loved, but with great dynamics and more deep low end headroom.

Both of the other guys in Bongripper are running SS amps along with their tube amps for pure extra volume. An OG GK 400rb and an acc220 both sound awesome, and double as great bass amps too.

Nice, I fucking love the bass tone on Miserable.
Barracuda

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org