PLL

Moderator: LaoWiz

Re: PLL

Postby LaoWiz » Fri May 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Tristan wrote:That's weird, did you change your settings or what happened?
I can't remember the in and out being the wrong way around either.

Actually, I'm an idiot. Jacks are per normal.

BUT, I was getting amazing sounds with it today. Like perfect sounding. What helped a lot was lowering the preamp. Even better with rolling off the tone knob. Hitting the strings hard and soft produced amazing nuanced textures. I may have to throw in the towel. I have idea why it sounded like shit last week. Crazy...
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Tristan » Fri May 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Ah good, I was a bit scared I had them the wrong way around all the time and that caused the whole ordeal.
Well, it's not that crazy, I had exactly the same, it completely sounded like poo with me.
Changing the trigger and preamp knobs and the two - / + switches seemed to calm the unit down sometimes but at other times it wouldn't do shit.
I tried going from the settings in Kayzer's vids and adjusting it from there but it sounded nothing like it really, I'm guessing it's just a very temperamental thing or something, totally weird.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby LaoWiz » Wed May 07, 2014 12:36 am

Tristan wrote:Ah good, I was a bit scared I had them the wrong way around all the time and that caused the whole ordeal.
Well, it's not that crazy, I had exactly the same, it completely sounded like poo with me.
Changing the trigger and preamp knobs and the two - / + switches seemed to calm the unit down sometimes but at other times it wouldn't do shit.
I tried going from the settings in Kayzer's vids and adjusting it from there but it sounded nothing like it really, I'm guessing it's just a very temperamental thing or something, totally weird.

Did a user manual come with the Dimehead? Without one it would be hard to dial in stuff but I guess not that hard if you played around with it enough. Usually the trigger control needs to be offset from noon as at noon there's lots of noise. I got really good things by setting the the preamp backed off a bit.

I set up my breadboard to reflect the Dimehead and I'm getting those magical sounds that is missing from mine but there's also a high pitch noise interacting the effect unless I turn the tone knob down on my guitar.
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Tristan » Wed May 07, 2014 5:12 am

There was no manual at all.
I noticed that thing with the trigger and preamp control, still I didn't jive with it really.
Also the fuzz and the sub octave / low end on it sounded like a cute purring kitten instead of a mean monster from the bowels of the earth, that was another main reason, apart from the shit tracking, for me to send it back.
I don't know, maybe it's just not for me, the only thing PLL related that sounded good to my ears so far were the Second Voice V1 and V2, the Second Voice Deluxe sounded quite weak to me as well.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby LaoWiz » Wed May 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Tristan wrote:There was no manual at all.
I noticed that thing with the trigger and preamp control, still I didn't jive with it really.
Also the fuzz and the sub octave / low end on it sounded like a cute purring kitten instead of a mean monster from the bowels of the earth, that was another main reason, apart from the shit tracking, for me to send it back.
I don't know, maybe it's just not for me, the only thing PLL related that sounded good to my ears so far were the Second Voice V1 and V2, the Second Voice Deluxe sounded quite weak to me as well.

It definitely might not be for you. The second voice pretty much is the same thing > phase locked loop, multiply and divide. I borrowed the second voice v2 and had the same impression. Not hairy enough. Heard the first one is nastier. But the tracking was pretty flawless on the v2, just sounded like a blanket was thrown over the sound.

To be able to get good tracking for more of a standard sound with the octaves but also having the controls be able to fuck it up enough to allow for those cool loop filter sounds would be great.
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Wed May 07, 2014 4:09 pm

I had a V2 and thought the tracking was good over limited ranges, but I found I keep jiggering with the range knob depending on if I was playing higher up the neck or lower. It seemed like I got (from memory) around 1 octave of good tracking and the rest was somewhere between ok and pathetic. But I don't have neck pickups or tone controls so that may explain that. Still, Subdecay Octasynth tracks like a champ with my setup, and the Copilot Mantis is pretty good too.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby neonblack » Wed May 07, 2014 4:19 pm

I have the newest Second Voice standard and I agree that it sounds a little weak on its own. Now, put a nice hi gain fuzz after it, and thats another story.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 pm

neonblack wrote:I have the newest Second Voice standard and I agree that it sounds a little weak on its own. Now, put a nice hi gain fuzz after it, and thats another story.

Makes sense, PLL sounds insane before fuzz. Delay is great, too.

PLL is definitely not a standard sounding octave box. More of a broken cracked out synth machine. The rocktave divider tracks perfectly and is a great design for an octave down box. If the PLL tracked that well it would lose a lot of the interesting things that it does...
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Updates on this?
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby LaoWiz » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:41 pm

Inconuucl wrote:Updates on this?

Nah, not really. I think I have 3 or 4 boards left, feel like I fucked something up on the one I built myself. It sounds good but not great, going to build another board soon and see if it sounds any better.

Definitely, want to get back on my breadboard circuit. Had cooler more fucked up stuff going on but could never commit to finishing it. Maybe I should get back on it tonight!
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bellyheart » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Did you do the work arounds?
Bellyheart

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:09 pm

Bellyheart wrote:Did you do the work arounds?

Yea, did the workarounds. When I tested it, it sounded great but then didn't box it for ages and did a bunch of tweaks. Maybe I fucked up on the tweaks. It actually sounds pretty good, just think theres a lot more you could do with the circuit.
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to The Out Sound