Any solid state love?

Re: Any solid state love?

Postby Iommic Pope » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:05 am

I used to have some sold state stuff...like a little peavey practice amp I loved to death. A rage?
Then I got a marshall valvestate. People hate on them, I really liked it. Was simple, fairly portable, sounded fine. I sold it to my brother in law. Hoping he doesn't hock it...
First head I owned was a behringer....I'd rather forget that.
First valve head I owned was a peavey, then I moved to a preamp....that was a peavey, too.
Them guys do good shtuffs.
Lately I've been hankering for an Ampeg SS-150. They seem priced ok, but shipping to here is brutes.
Was talking to Nick about maybe building a pre of the gain channel as a distortion pedal...he hasn't gotten back to me about that yet.
I still think it'd be cool.

Ry, your practice room always puts a smile on my face. It just looks like awesome town.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:15 pm

I have a Sunn Beta Bass head that I love. More for guitar than bass. I keep it at the space Chillerthanmost and I split and let him use it most of the time. I also have a solid state power amp that I pair up with pedal preamps a lot, including the Acoustic CC 140/150 style bass preamp that Nick made me. I did a demo track with it used for guitar and bass and it worked pretty well for both too. I tracked down a solid state Randall head for my buddy who plays guitar in Mental Waste, works perfect for that fast hardcore/grind/powerviolence type music we play in that band, with just a Tube Screamer in front of it. Picked it up for something like $120 shipped and he paid me back for it. If you're using pedals for dirt, like most of us on here do, any loud solid state amp can work pretty well with a little dialing things in. Just depends on the sound you're going for.

I used to have an Ampeg SS-150, I really liked it with dirt pedals pushing the clean channel. The distortion channel on it was just kind of typical thin and fizzy sound people normally associate with solid state, but even that would probably sound good with some knob twiddling, in the right musical context.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Grrface » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:37 pm

No Traynor love in here?
Grrface

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby van_muddlestein » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:52 pm

ryan summit wrote:wow
thats awesome
i usually feel my randall love seems bonkers
admitadly it was the orange stripe that got me at first
but that commander with the emperor cab oofahtoofah
glad to see theres love out there
the commander ii intrigues me
howd the 212s sound on that

as far as the acc150 goes
if im at home and dont have my board around
i can just plug into that and be happy

I had a head version of the commander II so I have no idea how the speakers in the combo sounded. Ran it through an old ass Peavey 4x12. One of those taller than all get out ported deals. Loved that rig. Took dirt pedals like a champ and was loud as fuck. I'm really debating one of those new CR120's or trying to hunt down a sunn beta lead head. I miss me some solid state noise.
van_muddlestein

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Grrface wrote:No Traynor love in here?

I dig Shellac.

But I've never used one.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mc_muench » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:02 am

Krosis wrote:So speaking of Peaveys...there are so many of them. Which Peavey SS should I be on the look out for? In other words, which are the ones that fall into the category of "if you see it, buy it!"?

I get picky when it comes to old SS peaveys, I stick to pre mark series. Maybe a mark 3, but not much newer, to my ears the later marks get a bit sterile and loss that grind when cranked. Really the one Peavey I'd say "if you see it, buy it" is the Peavey Standard 260 series. They don't come up as often as the Musician/Bass 400 series which aren't bad, they're great, I just like the Standards better. And I only say the Standard because I want all the Vulcans to myself muhahaha...
Rev. DOOM, The Dude of DOOM, DOOMER, El DOOMerino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing...

PVYHenge ~|~ Bear amps ○)))

http://vegawi.bandcamp.com
http://galactichatchet.bandcamp.com
mc_muench

committed
committed

Postby CaptainBoxman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:38 pm

I just switched to a Sunn Concert Lead. The thing packs tonnes of volume and plenty of tone. So far, I've not had a chance to bond with it, but I'm enjoying it.

I think I can hear the difference between the Sunn and other tube amps I've owned before, and maybe it sounds more sterile, but the fact that I don't have to worry about tubes and how the volume affects the tone and distortion is really great
Iommic Pope wrote:The Boxman hails the Mountain,
Zion's rays descend.
CaptainBoxman

experienced
experienced

Postby samzadgan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:16 am

the distorted tone on this demo sounds promising...add a bit of bottom end to it and it could be quite good.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby CaptainBoxman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:04 pm

That's cheap as fuck too
Iommic Pope wrote:The Boxman hails the Mountain,
Zion's rays descend.
CaptainBoxman

experienced
experienced

Postby samzadgan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:29 pm

CaptainBoxman wrote:That's cheap as fuck too

I know...i like my Jet City amp i recently got...but I'm wondering...what if?

however, it also depends on how it takes pedals...a lot of SS amps I've had didn't take pedals well at all, especially dirt pedals.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Barracuda » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Seriously, the CR120 is looking pretty good at that price. I had the same experience with dirt pedals on my ss amp (and tube amp), but a lot of my problem was with treble content. Rolling off lots of treble fixed most of my issues, and gave my pedals a lot of grinding mid range that was buried in the hornet-in-a-tin-can noise. Actually made my Crate sound pretty good.
Barracuda

committed
committed

Postby LOCOPELAND » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Just picked up a Peavey Mark III 115 bass combo this past weekend as a home practice rig. Sounds ballsy as fuck. I really dig it.
:ilw:

nightterrors wrote:Except fuzz, fuzz all the time.
LOCOPELAND

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby NoLA-Riffft » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Last edited by NoLA-Riffft on Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoLA-Riffft

committed
committed

Postby benjuro » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:35 pm

My Sunns are typically now left for either backup or biamp rig purposes...but I blew a tube in my V4 a few weeks ago, brought the Beta Lead out for jams, and was like "dayummmm I forgot how fuggin good that sounds..."
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kbit » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:01 pm

I re-EQ'd my Sunn Concert Bass and dimed the bass knob; now I don't need an overdrive pedal.
So grindy and delicious when digging in :drool:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org