Ported 2x15's for guitar

Ported 2x15's for guitar

Postby live-i-evil » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:42 pm

I've asked this question in the Doom Room thread but why not start a topic since it's the new rage. Who has used ported 2x15's for guitar and how much of a difference do the really ports make? TJ, while you're making yours make me one too k thanx.
D-Day wrote:People have changed names without me knowing and I was all like "WTF I never 'liked' Paul's Pickles and Penis Pumps!"

"Well Julian may have more book learnin than me but it doesn't take a rocket appliance to figure this out."

Good Deals List

Gear
Dunwich Iron Pile Custom 200
Harry Joyce Custom 100
70's Ampeg VT40 X2
70's Orange 4x12
Dietz 2x15

EGC Chessie - Sea Foam Green
Mercury Guitar - sweet/rare offset guitar

Boomerang+ Phrase Sampler
Drasp DL4
ss/bs Fuck
live-i-evil

committed
committed

Re: Ported 2x15's for guitar

Postby misterstomach » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am

I don't have any real world experience, but what I've read about cab construction has kind of indicated that porting probably serves little benefit for guitar use. I was just reading shit though, so it's probably just some dudes opinion.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby AxAxSxS » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:26 am

I have an old ported Kustom 2x15. It's not as loud as the non ported 2x12 I have it paired with but that cab also has much newer better speakers. The 2x15 has a very clear defined sound and I really like it. It rounds out the overall sound nicely.

My understanding of what porting does is that when you have a whole lotta speaker cone moving in the same direction, this compresses the air inside the cab and can restrict the movement of the cone. Porting provides an exhaust outlet for the air decreasing the resistance caused by pressure build up inside the cab. It allows your speaker to move fully without any resistance due to air pressure. this can be beneficial depending on the amount of air being pushed and the volume (size) of the cab itself.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 am

I have nothing factual to add, but feel like it really can't be a terrible idea.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:37 am

Both my Emperor 15" Cabs (2x15 + 3x15) are ported, they've got a 3" port for every speaker. It actually helps with projection and for not overworking your speakers. as AASS pointed out they allow the speaker to move without resistance; unported is like a marathon runner trying to run through an olympic sized swimming pool while ported is like the same runner on flat dry land. Both have the same potential but one is working harder due to its environment.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby live-i-evil » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:29 pm

THanks guys, I guess I was thinking that there's more science to it than there really is. Maybe I was getting a ported cab mixed up with a tuned cab. Does anyone even know how the fuck to tune a cab?
D-Day wrote:People have changed names without me knowing and I was all like "WTF I never 'liked' Paul's Pickles and Penis Pumps!"

"Well Julian may have more book learnin than me but it doesn't take a rocket appliance to figure this out."

Good Deals List

Gear
Harry Joyce Custom 100
70's Ampeg VT40 X2
70's Orange 4x12
Dietz 2x15

Drasp DL4
ss/bs Fuck
live-i-evil

committed
committed

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:31 pm

live-i-evil wrote:THanks guys, I guess I was thinking that there's more science to it than there really is. Maybe I was getting a ported cab mixed up with a tuned cab. Does anyone even know how the fuck to tune a cab?

Yeah thats a lil different and mainly applies to bass cabs that the player wants to be able to reproduce extremely low frequencies (sub 40hz) and that has alot of science behind it. Guitars never hit notes low enough for that to play into effect. But if youw ant to learn more about tuned cabs go to general discussion and ask in the TB thread they can probably be of alot of help.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:53 pm

My newer 1x12" cab has a convertable back, I think I'm gonna try it out with the back removed tonight and see how it compares to when it is closed just for kicks!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Wood Wizard » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Download winisd and model your cab!

My cab is going to pull double duty, bass and guitar so I have it tuned to 45 HZ.

gives you a little boost in the low end around the frequency its tuned to and makes some low end extention. I chose the green ported model. The yellow is the same box but sealed for comparison.

I make guitars and stuff, check it out at...

THE WOOD WIZARD

:doom:
The Wood Wizard

experienced
experienced

Postby The Wood Wizard » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Id MAYYBYEE make you one, i bought 2 sheets of ply, might be enough for two cabs. ;)
I make guitars and stuff, check it out at...

THE WOOD WIZARD

:doom:
The Wood Wizard

experienced
experienced

Postby whiskey_face » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:58 pm

oh shit :love:
good deals with Noise. . .guitmatt, magiclawnchair, delaydecay, Fuzz_Pi, nixhex113, theAntihero, Ancient Astronaught, bigchiefbc, jwojtysiak, neonblack, osbornkt

http://www.facebook.com/daughtersofzionaz
whiskey_face

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby terminator » Mon May 13, 2013 5:44 pm

ive used my ported dietz 2x15s on guitar. they are thick, crystal clear, and loud as fuck. 800w gives you plenty of headroom.
terminator

HERO
HERO

Postby live-i-evil » Wed May 15, 2013 1:25 pm

terminator wrote:ive used my ported dietz 2x15s on guitar. they are thick, crystal clear, and loud as fuck. 800w gives you plenty of headroom.

Shit, just started reading up on these and there's one on my local craigslist. May have to grab it. . .

Good Deals List

Gear
Harry Joyce Custom 100
70's Ampeg VT40 X2
70's Orange 4x12
Dietz 2x15

Drasp DL4
ss/bs Fuck
live-i-evil

committed
committed

Postby live-i-evil » Thu May 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Terminator, I owe you big ups on the Dietz suggestion cause now this is mine:

There just happened to be one my local craigslist and I grabbed it today. Just cranked my Hiwatt Custom 100 through it, thing sounds massive!

Good Deals List

Gear
Harry Joyce Custom 100
70's Ampeg VT40 X2
70's Orange 4x12
Dietz 2x15

Drasp DL4
ss/bs Fuck
live-i-evil

committed
committed

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Fri May 17, 2013 8:50 am

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :love:
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org