pedal problem..ever had this happen?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

pedal problem..ever had this happen?

Postby darryl2113 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:42 pm

I've got a byoc beaver that worked fine for the first year I had it, but it seems that ever since I started gigging it out alot it developed this problem where it develops this crazy hiss anytime it is put through enough physical shock(like tapping it on the ground or stepping on it to turn it on and off)..it makes this noise until you slam it again and its back to normal. Which doesn't seem like a problem until one realizes that it becomes kind of a crap shoot on whether its gonna work right or not every time you step on it. Its sounds like something is loose or not soldered correctly since all it takes to get it back to working is slamming it, but I have gone over it a couple of times and everything looks good. It almost makes me think that its the bypass switch that is doing this....any ideas on what my be the problem?
darryl2113

committed
committed

Re: pedal problem..ever had this happen?

Postby Scruffie » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:05 pm

Doubt the switch is doing it, cause usually the problem that occurs with them is you get intermittent sound or intermitent function, i.e you have to turn it on several times to get it to work.

Sounds like a bad solder joint or something accidedntaly grounding, if you have a soldering iron i'd suggest just gently re-heating all the joints in the pedal to see if this solves the problem, in alot of cases it can, since the introduction of ROHS standard solder, the joints have been affected badly and will fail alot easier.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Naz Nomad » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Last edited by Naz Nomad on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naz Nomad

committed
committed

Postby modernage » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:58 pm

Scruffie wrote:Sounds like a bad solder joint or something accidedntaly grounding

My vote is definitely for some sort of grounding issue.
modernage

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby darryl2113 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:14 pm

I thought about the idea that something is grounding out, but I always thought that would cause the pedal to pass no sound until you fixed the problem. I get sound, just a small amount of fuzz guitar and a huge amount of static . I guess I am gonna have to get more invasive than I had hoped. thanks for the thoughts!
darryl2113

committed
committed

Postby Wizard » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:12 am

Actually, my MXR wylde OD is doing the same sort of thing where if i tap it about fifty percent of the time the LED will light up but it'll either cut out completely, be real low and occasionally get noisy the way Darryl described.

maybe it's related to his problem...
I've got a fuzzbox and i'm not afraid to use it

jrmy wrote:And unlike the rest of the country, we recognize Sarcasm as a crucial building block of spoken language. Kind of like umami in cooking.
Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:15 am

Well when in doubt, post gut shots :joy:

It'll atleast help to spot anything obvious.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Return to DIY Effects