PCB Supplies... Where Should I Get Them?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

PCB Supplies... Where Should I Get Them?

Postby SirBlend12 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Okay, I've looked everywhere (well, not really, but a lot of places) for all the supplies I would need for prepping/etching boards. Nothing I have come across so far has been very... convenient. Just wondering where people get their supplies. I need a good source!

Oh, and I'm in no position to have them made for me by one of those awesome PCB companies. My dollar wouldn't even die on the doorstep. :(
Dude, a ball pit is not... weren't you ever a little kid? Ya know, a ball pit, with the plastic balls and you'd jump in it... it's not a gay bar!
SirBlend12

committed
committed

Re: PCB Supplies... Where Should I Get Them?

Postby Scruffie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:57 pm

www.smallbearelec.com have everything you need to etch in the U.S
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Ryan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:02 am

Have you checked at your local electronics store(s)?

In Canada we have a chain called Active Electronics that carries all the materials needed for pcb etching. A few years ago I got a neat kit there that included a big plastic vessel and a pump and some hose so you could have a little bubbler-jig.. it really helped with etching, made a huge difference. Otherwise they have all the things you need.. copper clad board and ammonium persulphate or ferric chloride. (I used the laser printer method so no special transfer medium was required, just a printer and an iron.)

Lots of towns have little electronics stores that you maybe never heard of before but they'll have the boards and chemicals.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby SirBlend12 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:06 pm

I've checked locally... there's almost nothing around here that is in any way reliable. SmallBear might be the best call (I'm partially trying to price hunt).

BTW, you Canucks are so lucky when it comes to finding stuff you need. I wish we had had suppliers like that (and no, RadioShack doesn't count. $1.50 for 2 ceramic caps?! No way in hell.) Just an observation. Hell, maybe I should take a trip to the other side of the lake soon.
Dude, a ball pit is not... weren't you ever a little kid? Ya know, a ball pit, with the plastic balls and you'd jump in it... it's not a gay bar!
SirBlend12

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Gotcha, that's a shame and an inconvenience.

Small Bear is awesome and I betcha you wouldn't be disappointed with them, they have great service and carry all the specialty stuff we all need.

You have a couple other options that are very affordable and convenient, http://www.mouser.com/ and http://www.digikey.com/. Both these places have low prices and super fast shipping, next day for me even in Canada, and they stock the chemicals and the copper clad boards.

I totally agree that Radio Shack doesn't count!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby SirBlend12 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:17 am

I've gone through Pedal Parts Plus, Parts Express, Effects Connection and I'm placing an order with Allied soon. I'm not gonna lie... I fear DigiKey. It's just such a huge site. SmallBear is next on the list.
SirBlend12

committed
committed

Return to DIY Effects