Reverberators, Noise, and Trouble-shooting...

Moderator: Ryan

Re: Reverberators, Noise, and Trouble-shooting...

Postby Ryan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Does the CCv3 hum with the Jr? I'd expect it to since it needs 125mA.. I think that's why the RRR hums with it, not enough current...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bronzetalon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:13 pm

The RRR hums when on when the CCv3 is in the chain but all pedals work.
bronzetalon

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Geez RRRs are touchy! Still surprised the Jr. can handle the Cosmi too... I'll let you know if the Isolator Adapter works!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby myrrh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 am

Yes tell us when that arrives, Im curious about that one. For now I just use a different adapter for the Reverberator.
myrrh

experienced
experienced

Postby yallerhon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 am

No hum or hiss with either my RRR or CCv3 off my Fuel Tank Jr. :)
Good deals with: PumpkinPieces, maz91379, allicio, nelsinian, tomlane95, casperh7, insubordination, bronzetalon
yallerhon

experienced
experienced

Postby jmoote » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:48 am

Just got an RRR for the first time. I plugged it in using a strymon power supply that comes with the Timeline, Mobius, etc. which is supposed to be 1000 mA. It works great with other pedals but it does seem cheap compared to something like a OneSpot.

Anyway, lots of noise with the RRR (and a bit of noise if I use it with the Cosmichorus). The Cosmichorus is silent on a PP2+ so I suspect when I get time to plug the RRR into that as well it will be fine.
-Jeff
jmoote

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:33 pm

yallerhon wrote:No hum or hiss with either my RRR or CCv3 off my Fuel Tank Jr. :)

Cool! Is it a hard-click RRR?

jmoote wrote:Just got an RRR for the first time. I plugged it in using a strymon power supply that comes with the Timeline, Mobius, etc. which is supposed to be 1000 mA. It works great with other pedals but it does seem cheap compared to something like a OneSpot.

Anyway, lots of noise with the RRR (and a bit of noise if I use it with the Cosmichorus). The Cosmichorus is silent on a PP2+ so I suspect when I get time to plug the RRR into that as well it will be fine.

When a company gives you a power supply it's because it costs them basically nothing, is almost always unregulated and unfiltered, and it means that their pedal is probably internally regulated/filtered in a way that it doesn't care what you plug into it. Digital pedals that digitize the whole signal can get away with this pretty easily.

The RRR is a mix of analog and digital and the digital section is spread over 3 separate chips, not the usual one big chip that does everything, and it's picky about the power that's plugged in.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jmoote » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Strymon claims an analog dry path, but yes I suspect there is tons of internal power regulation and filtering and all it really needs to see is the voltage with enough current and it can go from there.

Given my success with the Cosmichorus (and just about any other pedal) on the PP2+ I am not worried.
-Jeff
jmoote

committed
committed

Postby yallerhon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:34 am

Ryan wrote:
yallerhon wrote:No hum or hiss with either my RRR or CCv3 off my Fuel Tank Jr. :)

Cool! Is it a hard-click RRR?

It's a hard-click teal on-the-airberator, part of the all-Dr-Sci board I posted on your FB wall the other day :)
Good deals with: PumpkinPieces, maz91379, allicio, nelsinian, tomlane95, casperh7, insubordination, bronzetalon
yallerhon

experienced
experienced

Postby oinkbanana » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:47 am

This thread is now of interest to me with my new Red On-The-Air-berator
I've never had any problems with my offtheAirMiniRRR (even with the new CC), so to test my new pedal I straight swapped them and the redtv was a hummer, where the offtheAirMiniRRR has never made a peep. hmm
i'm gonna run some more tests on monday after reading the details in this thread. might make it to my practice space tomorrow if time permits.

here's the board setup, with two voodoo labs ISO5 underneath.
now posting as Forrrest.
oinkbanana

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:28 am

Try running it on the 400mA output - the other four outputs only have 100mA each, and that could be your trouble.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Holy Schnikes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:02 pm

I hated my Fuel Tank Chameleon. Beyond causing random hum issues with 9V pedals, the 18V setting would never work properly no matter what pedal we're talking.

CIOKS and Voodoo Labs if you're wanting an isolated multi-supply. That's what I'd suggest. :thumb:

Oh, as for the Strymon supply, I've had many issues using it with anything other than Strymon stuff tho ymmv.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oinkbanana » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:31 pm

goroth wrote:Try running it on the 400mA output - the other four outputs only have 100mA each, and that could be your trouble.

the 400mA are for the eventide pedals. ;)
I'm sure between the two ISO5 i can switch things around, run the RRR with the ODB-3 on the 9v 100mA taps.
I believe right now the RRR is on the same ISO5 as the CC, Tremolessence, WIIO (18v) & modfactor.
I'm just surprised that one miniRRR doesn't perform like another. :idk:
now posting as Forrrest.
oinkbanana

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Kev, the difference is the red tv has a relay and a micro for the switching... it needs about 30mA more than the hard-clicker version and seems much more prone to humming. Double regulators, double micros.. it's a hummer...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby myrrh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:53 pm

Anyone tested the diago isolator yet?
myrrh

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist