The Elements May 2012 - Binary Code Message

Moderator: Ryan

Re: The Elements May 2012 - Binary Code Message

Postby huggernaut » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 am

Ryan wrote:So I don't know if that sucker works with the Elements as it wasn't borned yet.. but I think it would... but it's flimsy... you probably have spiders in Australia that could break it.

Terrifying Australian Spiders of Doom!

Hmm...

Band name?
CBA wrote:All anyone really "needs" is a fuzzbox anyway. Everything else is just dicking around.
huggernaut

committed
committed

Postby Ryan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:41 pm

I bet the spiders are already using that band name and you do not want to mess with their legal team... imagine how awful lawyer-spiders would be!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby CBA » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Hey thar...

Real quick question: What makes the Elements GO as it were? I've read a few places that it uses some silicon innards and I've read a few places that it uses some germanium innards, along with the LED clipping and all that stuff that I don't understand.

Probably no simple answer, but I was just wondering, because there seems to be a few different answers on different sites.

THONKS!

C
CBA

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sylnau » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:17 pm

Hey CBA,

From the user guide:
The middle position is open, no clipping diodes at all.
The bottom position is asymetrical clipping which is a mix of silicon diode clipping with the other side open.
The upper position is LED clipping.

Mine is from the first batch.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:49 pm

In addition to Syl's info, the Elements uses NE5532 op amp gain stages. It sounds all kinds of awesome.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Ryan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Hey Christian,

It's a pretty simple answer for sure and I always show the guts off for anybody interested in that kinda thing. The Elements is made to GO by 4 dual op amps. I use 5532s but they're socketed for experimentation, users can plug in any dual op amp they want and they do all sound different.

The clipping stage is visible on the pcb as well, there's a total of 7 diodes used. For the symmetrical clipping setting, up position, there's 4 red LEDs (~2V), 2 for each gain stage. The asymmetrical clipping setting, down position, uses a germanium diode (.3V) paired with a white LED (~3V) for the low gain stage and a silicon diode (.6V) paired with nothing for the high gain stage.

The full gut shot of the Elements is on page 1 post 1 of this thread, feel free to link it to anybody curious about what's in there!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby stillborn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 am

I just wanted to stop by and say that the elements is my favorite distortion pedal I've used thus far.

That is all, and thanks for showing awesomeness that has surpassed time and space, Ryan.
stillborn

involved
involved

Postby CBA » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:09 am

Ryan wrote:Hey Christian,

It's a pretty simple answer for sure and I always show the guts off for anybody interested in that kinda thing. The Elements is made to GO by 4 dual op amps. I use 5532s but they're socketed for experimentation, users can plug in any dual op amp they want and they do all sound different.

The clipping stage is visible on the pcb as well, there's a total of 7 diodes used. For the symmetrical clipping setting, up position, there's 4 red LEDs (~2V), 2 for each gain stage. The asymmetrical clipping setting, down position, uses a germanium diode (.3V) paired with a white LED (~3V) for the low gain stage and a silicon diode (.6V) paired with nothing for the high gain stage.

The full gut shot of the Elements is on page 1 post 1 of this thread, feel free to link it to anybody curious about what's in there!

Cooooooooooool. Yeah, I actually searched for and looked at the gutshots for the The Elements before asking, but I'm all :!!!: and then :hobbes: and then :whateva: and then :idk: and then :trippy: and then :hobbes: again and then :whoa: and then :wha?: and then :animal: and then I repeat all that.

If you're still reading... yes thanks for the info! I can identify germanium transistors every once in a while, and I guess sometimes op-amps, but I kinda have to know they're there in order to find them.

Good to know that there's such a variety in there. Obviously it's really only the sounds that matter, but I like to know how that ass is created.

My birfday is on Friday the 13th; already have a The Elements, but thanks again for offering the discount and building such excellent effects!

C
CBA

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ryan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:47 pm

I hear you buddy, I'm always curious about circuit topologies too...

The Frazz is 4 transistors and a 386 chip amp, that's what makes it go.

Badass birthday this year for you, very cool! In lieu of a birthday pedal I hope you get a massive pizza, 48" at least.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Waterpilot » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:59 am

stillborn wrote:I just wanted to stop by and say that the elements is my favorite distortion pedal I've used thus far.

That is all, and thanks for showing awesomeness that has surpassed time and space, Ryan.
Waterpilot

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 pm

stillborn wrote:I just wanted to stop by and say that the elements is my favorite distortion pedal I've used thus far.

Woops, I missed this post yesterday! Thanks for stopping by and I'm really happy you're digging the Elements and I thank you for your awesome display of awesomeness as well!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby futuresailors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 pm

Wait. So could I like, change a diode/LED to make it even higher gain?
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Well, you could make the clipping more aggressive for sure.. you could have more series stages of it or swap in all GE diodes for the lowest clipping threshold possible.. even add diodes to ground off the op amp outputs ... you betcha there's room for experimentation.

You can also change the gain of the pedal by changing a couple resistors on the pcb, the gain for both stages is set by a resistor (say a 100k) over another resistor (say 1k) so you have 100k/1k and a gain of 100.. there's two spots in the circuit where you can change that ratio for more gain. I've tried to dial it in so it's in the most useable/not crazy noisy range but a guy like you could pop in some trimpots and have the option of more gain.

With way more gain, especially in the high gain stage, you're mostly just going to get more compression and noise though.. it's wound up quite high already and it's at a threshold of diminishing returns where if you go higher it doesn't necessarily sound better... although the first 50 or so Elements were running hotter... I lowered it since a few people found it too noisy.
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby futuresailors » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:15 am

More gain, compression, andnoise? You don't say! :animal:

And plus steampunk pretty much mandates that I mess with it.
Last edited by futuresailors on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Dalton wrote:You're a dumbass for making this thread to begin with. :hello:

magiclawnchair wrote:fuck that bitter old man

smile_man wrote:
ifeellikeatourist wrote:Pedals aren't everything, yada, yada, yeah I know.

fuck you.

McSpunckle wrote:I ctrl+f'd mountain goats and decided we aren't friends anymore.
futuresailors

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:33 am

Shoot me an email and we can go over where those resistors are! But I just have to say to everybody reading this thinking they're going to hot-rod their Elements, in my opinion it isn't worth the effort and the risks of hosing up the pcb are much greater than the rewards... it's gain is very carefully set to be hot as heck without excessive noise...
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist