Overdrive + Octave?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Overdrive + Octave?

Postby Wizard » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:26 am

So i'm in love with octave fuzz right now, it rules my life. But i was wondering if there was a pedal that does a smooth OD & Octave in the push of a button.

It would be fucking killer to use in some of my more chilled out jams where i need a low key lead, and not a rippin' screamin' octavia/blue box sort of thing. and the Destructo Noctavia is out of the question :p

I run my OD pedal through a some boss digital octave petal i got in highschool, but the digitalness makes it all glitchy :(

Anybody got any leads?!?
I've got a fuzzbox and i'm not afraid to use it

jrmy wrote:And unlike the rest of the country, we recognize Sarcasm as a crucial building block of spoken language. Kind of like umami in cooking.
Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Overdrive + Octave?

Postby Scruffie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 am

Octaves are notoriously difficult to achieve in analogue, digital proccessors are usually the best answer, even if they are glitchy, analogue will be too especially if you intend to try and use chords...

The Best reasonably priced pedal for octaves is probably the Micro Pog (Obviously you'd have to combine it with your own overdrive) but once again thats going down the DSP route but it isn't glitchy at all in my experience.

There are loads of simple octave circuits You could try looking at if your any good at DIY I particularly like this incredibly simple semi octave add on, theres a clip and schematic here http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... ave#p30725

Then theres tim escobedos OctUp! could be a good add on for standalone circuits theres also the Ampeg Scrambler (maybe a little to full on) or the bobtavia & neooctavia which are probably the best 2 options (samples here) http://www.home-wrecker.com/salvo.html

Hope these are of some use,

Scruffie.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby smile_man » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:05 pm

The Scrambler does NOT do low-key.
http://tsunshining.bandcamp.com/ - jamz
http://www.jamiecoxxx.tumblr.com - art jamz
zackv wrote:stop fooling around and shell out the 320$

SPACERITUAL wrote:SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITUAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
smile_man

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:31 pm

I've heard some more low-key ones and theres a couple of mods you can do to it but in general... yea it's pretty ripping... fun anyway, but perhaps not what he was after.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby TheAttackman » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:47 pm

you could get/make a greenringer.. Which is an octave up pedal. So when u want the crazyness you'd just click that on.. On top of ur od pedal...
TheAttackman

experienced
experienced

Postby Scruffie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:02 pm

The Green Ringer is more of a Ring Modulatorish Octave in my experience, less of an straight out Octave also it's more useful for up higher on the neck rather than the whole spectrum of the guitar (It sounds a bit like the Zvex Johnny Octave) none the less a good pedal and a simple build, definitley an option.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby tigerdriver » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:25 pm

is this sort of what the GZ does? never tried one personally.
tigerdriver

committed
committed

Postby Wizard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:47 am

HMMMMMMM

i do indeed have plans to build a scrambler, but that shit's bad ass. I've got a Blue Box, which is also Badass.

I'm just lookin for something to add that lower boost...

I take it the OctUp does a higher octave than... hmm. that could be neat too. It does sound really awesome.

Is there like an OctDown? What would be the best analog Octave down, if that's possible (the more i think about my boss Octave i get upset :cry: )

:wow what a fantastic idea you have there:
Perhaps i could just build a dual footswitch, OD + Octave?

Anybody have schematics to the OCD?

This could be an awesome time. :)

jrmy wrote:And unlike the rest of the country, we recognize Sarcasm as a crucial building block of spoken language. Kind of like umami in cooking.
Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby smile_man » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:05 am

This pedal always seems to be brought up when talking about octave.

It does -2, -1,+1 octave. Although I don't think it's the cleanest sounding pedal.
http://tsunshining.bandcamp.com/ - jamz
http://www.jamiecoxxx.tumblr.com - art jamz
zackv wrote:stop fooling around and shell out the 320$

SPACERITUAL wrote:SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITUAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
smile_man

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Wizard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:51 am

Yeah. that things awesome, but it's a glitchfactory. :(

Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 am

Yea I have schematics & a vero layout for the OCD (I assume you mean the fulltone obsessive compulsive ) http://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... &mode=view

Yea the Octup! Does a subtle octave up, as for octave down... i'l have a think about it, nothing comes to the top of my head but i'l get back if I have any ideas...
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Wizard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Scruffie wrote:Yea I have schematics & a vero layout for the OCD (I assume you mean the fulltone obsessive compulsive ) http://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... &mode=view

Yea the Octup! Does a subtle octave up, as for octave down... i'l have a think about it, nothing comes to the top of my head but i'l get back if I have any ideas...

OMFG HERO. :hug:

Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:15 pm

You'll make me blush... in a picard type fashion :picard:

No problems!, if you want the vero layout ask and i'l PM it to you.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Wizard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Scruffie wrote:You'll make me blush... in a picard type fashion :picard:

No problems!, if you want the vero layout ask and i'l PM it to you.

Oh my god. PLEASE DO! :love:

than i will continue my quest for the PERFECT clean octave circuit. :)

Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Aha I just thought of something for Octave down the Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer, Schematic can be found here http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimage ... er.sch.gif

You wont find an unsynthy, simple Octave down DIY Project to be honest, BOSS OC-2, PAIA Rocktave Divider or The multiplexer are your best bet, or of course the POG which is great but a bit expensive.

An no file attatchment option, PM me your E-mail and i'l send it to you.

Clean Octave.. Won't happen with DIY i'm afraid, i'm currently working on some designs and it's gunna be a long process and a huge build but analogue octave being fuzzy and glitchy is just the nature of it, you really have to go DSP to get clean octave.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Next

Return to DIY Effects