Re: CTS 500k audio taper pots for Gibby SG

Postby moose23 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:06 am

Yeah that's the right one for an SG.
moose23

experienced
experienced

Postby BlindtoFaith » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:10 am

moose23 wrote:Yeah that's the right one for an SG.

Thanks!
BlindtoFaith

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:59 pm

yeah for the volume
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moose23 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Why just the volume? Plenty of folk use log pots for the tone too...

Anyways I presume the OP was checking shaft length as they seem to be sure they're after an audio taper whether it be for volume or tone.
moose23

experienced
experienced

Postby McSpunckle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:42 pm

moose23 wrote:Anyways I presume the OP was checking shaft length

teheheheehehehe

But, seriously, if you use audio for tone it could basically not do anything until you turn it most of the way down, then just do it all at once. It depends on the value, pickups, cap, etc, though. I'd always go linear for tone. :idk:
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moose23 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:00 am

I'd recommend giving it a go sometime, you may be surprised how much interaction you get. Think of it as spreading the first bit (and most useful part imo) of a linear pot over a wider spread and don't forget that the tone knob on a guitar works quite differently to that of a pedal/effect. Also worth trying a linear for the volume control.
moose23

experienced
experienced

Postby kevinhifi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:05 am

moose23 wrote:I'd recommend giving it a go sometime, you may be surprised how much interaction you get. Think of it as spreading the first bit (and most useful part imo) of a linear pot over a wider spread and don't forget that the tone knob on a guitar works quite differently to that of a pedal/effect. Also worth trying a linear for the volume control.

I agree with this. I know some people like the linearity of response you get with a linear tone pot, and if you like to hang down in the warmer muddier region of the tone knob, linear is useful. But if you want to have a lot of room up where you're just pulling some subtle bite out, the log pot on the tone can work well.

And, yes, that shorter shaft is what you want with an SG. The long shaft is for the Les Paul...haha.
Henretta Engineering
tiny square pedals with no knobs...and more!
www.henrettaengineering.com
kevinhifi

committed
committed

Postby McSpunckle » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:40 pm

McSpunckle wrote:But, seriously, if you use audio for tone it could basically not do anything until you turn it most of the way down, then just do it all at once. It depends on the value, pickups, cap, etc, though. I'd always go linear for tone. :idk:

I had that backwards. It does everything really quick, then doesn't do much. Same thing, just backwards.

It really depends on the guitar what you use. On mine, even with linear taper on the tone control, it seems to turn down a bit fast for my taste. :idk:
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moose23 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:37 am

Nope you had it right first time, a log pot should solve the problem you're having now.
moose23

experienced
experienced

Postby McSpunckle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:00 am

Nah, man. I have it right this time. I checked.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/fox ... ge=TECHPOT

Since you usually turn tone knobs down, you'll wanna follow the chart backwards. But you'll see when you turn it down half way, it's actually turned down something like 90%.

THEN, I tested it on a real pot. I measured the resistance between the lug your pickup (or output of the volume pot if you wire it wrong) would connect to, and the one the capacitor would be. I used a 100K, and when turned down about half way down, the resistance had dropped to about 10K-- or it had gone down about 90%.

It's not that audio taper is "wrong"... it's just that it's never worked for me. Personally, I think the way we pick components for guitars is a bit silly anyways. The "rules of thumb" don't really apply because there are sooo many things that can vary and how much passive components interact with eachother. It depends on your pickups, cable, and whatever comes next.

:idk:
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moose23 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:01 am

I agree about there being no wrong and right which I think is where this whole thing started...

Here's a demo someone else did that shows the difference between linear and log tone pots, log is nice and smooth all the way through the rotation and linear has quite a big jump then very little happening for the rest of the rotation. Defo worth watching.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/7ANG3OrL5HI[/youtube]

Edit: also wiring wise this is what I use in Gibson guitars, which doesn't sound like what you describe above so that may be where our wires are crossing??

moose23

experienced
experienced

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects