Fix'd Fuzz question

Moderator: blackout_kyle

Fix'd Fuzz question

Postby blanket » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:46 am

My favorite setting on the Fix'd Fuzz actually bypasses the two fuzz circuits entirely: just Boost and Filter.

When I dime both the Boost and Filter and leave Fuzz 1 and 2 off, I get a great overdrive/distortion tone that is articulate and open (a great growl sound), but still has some fuzz characteristics on the decay. It's unlike any other fuzz, overdrive or distortion I've played.

Now I'm on a search for other pedals that have similar open and uncompressed fuzz/overdrive/distortion hybrid tones.

Does anyone else love this setting? Can anyone with more pedal experience than me suggest pedals that might give me similar results? I've been looking into the Dr Scientist The Elements, SmallSound/BigSound Fuck Overdrive, and Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe. Can anyone compare these to the Boost/Filter section of the Fix'd Fuzz from personal experience?

(FYI, I'm using a Tele on bridge pu through a Fender blackface-style amp)
'Tis better to have bought and flipped than never to have bought at all.
blanket

committed
committed

Re: Fix'd Fuzz question

Postby Jero » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:25 am

So you have the tone/filter full treble?
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blanket » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 am

Jero wrote:So you have the tone/filter full treble?

The Filter is fully to the right (5 o'clock). I'm not sure I'd call that full treble in terms of tone. BE calls it "beefier tones."
blanket

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:31 pm

It's the newer deluxe version then? Mine is one of the very first ones, so it's different. That's my bad.

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blanket » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Jero wrote:It's the newer deluxe version then? Mine is one of the very first ones, so it's different. That's my bad.

Yep - didn't realize the Filter changed between versions.

Any thoughts on other pedals that offer a similar open, growly, uncompressed tone as that FF setting? So nice.
blanket

committed
committed

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:52 am

I liked that sound on the Fix'd, too. I would say, from my experience, that the Fuck doesn't sound like that. I haven't used an Elements but, based on demos, I wouldn't expect it to sound like that.
I haven't found anything that does, actually. I'm still looking. Maybe the EQD Monarch?

But, really, you've got the Fix'd. Why would you want to replace it?
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:14 pm

dmcmahon wrote:I liked that sound on the Fix'd, too. I would say, from my experience, that the Fuck doesn't sound like that. I haven't used an Elements but, based on demos, I wouldn't expect it to sound like that.
I haven't found anything that does, actually. I'm still looking. Maybe the EQD Monarch?

That's a lot of pedal if you're only using the boost/filter.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Jero wrote:
dmcmahon wrote:I liked that sound on the Fix'd, too. I would say, from my experience, that the Fuck doesn't sound like that. I haven't used an Elements but, based on demos, I wouldn't expect it to sound like that.

That's a lot of pedal if you're only using the boost/filter.

It's a small enough footprint. I guess it is a lot of temptation, though.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blanket » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:18 pm

It's not that I want to replace it. There are other settings on the FF I like, too. It's just that I like the maxed Boost/Filter the best, and find it fairly unique, so I want to find more pedals that can give me variations on that sound, or more tweakability of that tone.

I hear the Skreddy Screw Driver is pretty uncompressed. Anyone who's tried both think the Skreddy would be a good match?
blanket

committed
committed

Postby Derelict78 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:14 pm

so I think this calls for a new Blackout Effectors
pedal
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blackout_kyle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Derelict78 wrote:so I think this calls for a new Blackout Effectors
pedal

Hmm, maybe. :snax:
blackout_kyle

committed
committed

Postby DarkAxel » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:55 am

That reminds me i have to remember to experiment more with using Fix'd as a booster/OD with my Pharaoh and Fuck!

seriously look some more into turning Fuz:1 on... Bloom on 1/3, Shade almost fully clockwise, fuz:1's gain after a half... great powerful and useful fuzz, when boosted by a right OD, it really tightens up and becomes a hi-gain crushing brootz thing, when boosted by Fuck, it stays fuzzy and very amazing, when boosting a Pharaoh, you get those super-torture-infinite-sustain-doom-fuzzage tones...

this setting has been my main distortion for more than half a year i think, using it live, while recording, when practising... love it :)
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Blackout Effectors