The Elements, favorite settings, post them here!

Moderator: Ryan

Re: The Elements, favorite settings, post them here!

Postby Muse FTW » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:20 am

Holy shit. :!!!:
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 am

futuresailors wrote::lol: :lol: You're like Strongbad if he ate poutine!

:lol:
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mynar7 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Very important question:

How much gain can you get out of the elements? I've had an itch for some serious metal lately with lots of palm-muting and I want to know if the elements will scratch it.
mynar7

committed
committed

Postby sylnau » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:38 pm

mynar7 wrote:Very important question:

How much gain can you get out of the elements? I've had an itch for some serious metal lately with lots of palm-muting and I want to know if the elements will scratch it.

Answer:
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mynar7 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Is that with the gain dimed?
mynar7

committed
committed

Postby sylnau » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:09 pm

mynar7 wrote:Is that with the gain dimed?

I don't think it's dimed.
Ryan... what is the setting in that video?

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:12 pm

In this setting, it sound similar to my PCfx Fuzzy Lady with the switch down... I'm impress with the versatility of the Elements.
Elements_Fuzz_Setting.jpg
Elements_Fuzz_Setting.jpg (26.11 KiB) Viewed 10575 times

Ryan, you are a genius. :thumb:

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ryan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Sorry for my lateness here gents!

Lee, the Elements gain is right at half in that Slayer video and in my high gain demo, although you add gain when you crank up the midrange for that Slayer tone. Turning up the gain knob past that doesn't change the sound much, just a bit more saturation and compression since it's already pretty much as distorted as it can get.

I did some sample settings too although I don't have an awesome video for them like Syl does:
Attachments
Elements settings 1.jpg
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:44 am

Ryan wrote:Sorry for my lateness here gents!

Lee, the Elements gain is right at half in that Slayer video and in my high gain demo, although you add gain when you crank up the midrange for that Slayer tone. Turning up the gain knob past that doesn't change the sound much, just a bit more saturation and compression since it's already pretty much as distorted as it can get.

I did some sample settings too although I don't have an awesome video for them like Syl does:

Nice!!! Can't wait to try those... (I'm out of town and won't be home until saturday).
I really like my last setup... it's really fuzz like (see pic above ^ kind of muff like without the metallic sounding of a muff).

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby StopReferencing » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:20 pm

I'm sure this is a personal preference, but IMO, the vast majority of Elements settings sound better at 18v. There's kind of a pinched quality to the gain decay at 9v that (usually) didn't work all that well for me, especially at more traditionally br00tal settings.

Having said that, I think my favorite setting was gain up, asymmetrical clipping, bass up all the way, mids dialed to taste, treble at noon, mid-freq up. At 9v. Fucking ragged.
StopReferencing

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 pm

StopReferencing wrote:I'm sure this is a personal preference, but IMO, the vast majority of Elements settings sound better at 18v. There's kind of a pinched quality to the gain decay at 9v that (usually) didn't work all that well for me, especially at more traditionally br00tal settings.

Having said that, I think my favorite setting was gain up, asymmetrical clipping, bass up all the way, mids dialed to taste, treble at noon, mid-freq up. At 9v. Fucking ragged.

I only tried it at 9v.
Is there a way to get 18v with a PP2+ (I just got the PP2+)?

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby StopReferencing » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:02 pm

You need a voltage-doubling y-cable, but yes.
StopReferencing

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:29 am

I prefer 18V on this one as well, sounds incredible. Less compression, more wide open, natural feel and sound. Regardless of voltage, I feel there's more than enough gain on tap. High gain settings at 9V had too much sizzle with my setup though.

I'll get back with settings now that I'm through comparing voltage. Pretty huge array of options with this pedal and quite the variety of awesome sounds.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Kayzer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 am

...off to customs pick up my elements, tremolessence and a VMSD... SCHWING!
Kayzer

experienced
experienced

Postby Ryan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:56 pm

StopReferencing wrote:I'm sure this is a personal preference, but IMO, the vast majority of Elements settings sound better at 18v. There's kind of a pinched quality to the gain decay at 9v that (usually) didn't work all that well for me, especially at more traditionally br00tal settings.

Thanks for the review and I don't think you're wrong. When you mention the pinched quality to the decay, do you mean in a certain clipping position or just in general? 'Cause I think the lower clipping position (with lots of gain and bass) can make for a pinched/choked/strangled kind of sound and I wonder if that's what you mean to. But I also think the high gain stage is running a little hot.. a little too close to unstable which makes it kind of start and stop oscillating at high gain/high bass settings and it affects the decay.

You know, gents, there's a lot of ways to tune a distortion pedal... a lot of paths to wander... this week we were contacted by a new retailer who wants to do a top notch demo of the Elements and it's got me to thinking that maybe I wandered a bit far down the left hand path.

The Elements is set up to run a little hot... it makes for cool tones in some situations but allows for not cool noises in other situations. The clipping diode settings were chosen to have 3 very different sounds but maybe one of those settings is too easy to make weird/not-loveable-by-all sounds.

I've become anxious about this new retailer and their new demo vid and I've spent the last few days pondering small changes to the Elements to make it play nicer. Basically just to make it so it's not so easy to get a weird/not loveable sound.

I've lowered the gain in the high gain stage a little bit, enough to to take away a bit of saturation, a bit of background noise. I've changed the lower position diode arrangement to never be able to make a choked/pinched/strangled sound. Neither are huge changes, they just sort of sweeten the pedal up a bit so it gets along nicer. Depending on how you use the pedal you might not hear these changes, my changes are mainly audible in the last half of the gain knob in the high gain mode and the lower position diode setting. I'll of course change anybody's over if they'd like, maybe wait until the video is out and you can see if you hear any differences.

This is kinda reminiscent of my 2009 Cosmichorus adventure, I definitely went down a wrong path with that first v2 version. This isn't as extreme as that was, but it's made me realize that I design and test and use pedals in a very specific way and when a bunch of people use a new pedal they use it in different ways that teaches me a bunch of stuff about the pedal that probably will require some changes.

Here's a question I have too for you guys.. bright switches on amps? The Elements in high gain sounds awful with amps that have a 'bright' switch on. 2/3 of my amps don't have that option, and my main design and testing and building amp doesn't have a bright switch either, so it's not a sound that I design for. Do lots of you guys use amps with bright switches? Do you expect distortion pedals to sound good with the amp's bright switch on? Do most distortion pedals sound good with the amp's bright switch on?

Flippin huge post, sorry!
Ryan

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Dr. Scientist