RECOMMEND TEH GAAAAAZE

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: RECOMMEND TEH GAAAAAZE

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:54 am

retinal orbita wrote:I kind of hate shoegaze as a genre - I've checked out so many of these bands based on the MBV comparison and they never do anything for me. Yet I think Loveless is one of the best records EVER. Most of these bands seem to be just pop bands with pop songs with some fuzzy guitars thrown in, where MBV had such an amazing production and texture to them...... another example is The Smashing Pumpkins in a way, Siamese Dream is probably the best sounding records ever, and the guitar tone is so good I can even get past Billy Corgans vocals....... but once they lost the spectacular production on SD I lost all interest...... fucking Bullet With Butterfly Wings? No thanks I'd rather get shot in the fucking face with a handgun.......... So I guess I actually sort of hate pop music, regardless if there's fuzz or not, unless it's ABBA who are awesome. You know what I'm saying? If Loveless didn't have that amazing production I wouldn't be that interested.........

Anyway, I guess hearing all these sub par knock offs just reaffirms to me how good Loveless is...... I think Loop should be more well known and appreciated, they were awesome......... now those guys knew how to write songs..... And Sun Dial!!

Sort of agree. It's the same way I feel about a lot of new "psychedelic" music. Pop songs with echo and painted guitars do not psychedelia make.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:20 am

D.o.S. wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:I kind of hate shoegaze as a genre - I've checked out so many of these bands based on the MBV comparison and they never do anything for me. Yet I think Loveless is one of the best records EVER. Most of these bands seem to be just pop bands with pop songs with some fuzzy guitars thrown in, where MBV had such an amazing production and texture to them...... another example is The Smashing Pumpkins in a way, Siamese Dream is probably the best sounding records ever, and the guitar tone is so good I can even get past Billy Corgans vocals....... but once they lost the spectacular production on SD I lost all interest...... fucking Bullet With Butterfly Wings? No thanks I'd rather get shot in the fucking face with a handgun.......... So I guess I actually sort of hate pop music, regardless if there's fuzz or not, unless it's ABBA who are awesome. You know what I'm saying? If Loveless didn't have that amazing production I wouldn't be that interested.........

Anyway, I guess hearing all these sub par knock offs just reaffirms to me how good Loveless is...... I think Loop should be more well known and appreciated, they were awesome......... now those guys knew how to write songs..... And Sun Dial!!

Sort of agree. It's the same way I feel about a lot of new "psychedelic" music. Pop songs with echo and painted guitars do not psychedelia make.

I kinda have to agree with both of these. You could say the same of "lo-fi".

Although I'm less into MBV than I am some other bands. Some newer shoegaze out there is pretty similar-sounding and uninspiring. But I don't think you have to compare everything to Loveless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:22 am

I'm not super into MBV either, but their guitar sounds are heavenly*.

*At the risk of coming up with a totally new observation about an established band.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:51 am

D.o.S. wrote:Sort of agree. It's the same way I feel about a lot of new "psychedelic" music. Pop songs with echo and painted guitars do not psychedelia make.

Completely agree - I've sworn off buying almost any nu-psych unless it's like Earthless or Bardo Pond, there are a lot of filler bands outt here. Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound, Black Angels, Comets On Fire, blech, so stale and rehashed with nothing going for it. Wooden Shjips are okay for like 5 minutes, and then I get bored.......

Quest For Fire are really good, great hooks, great guitar work, excellent stuff all around.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 pm

retinal orbita wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:Sort of agree. It's the same way I feel about a lot of new "psychedelic" music. Pop songs with echo and painted guitars do not psychedelia make.

Completely agree - I've sworn off buying almost any nu-psych unless it's like Earthless or Bardo Pond, there are a lot of filler bands outt here. Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound, Black Angels, Comets On Fire, blech, so stale and rehashed with nothing going for it. Wooden Shjips are okay for like 5 minutes, and then I get bored.......

Quest For Fire are really good, great hooks, great guitar work, excellent stuff all around.

I haven't heard Quest For Fire, but I'll check them out based on that last paragraph. We're in terrifying agreement here--Though I do like Comets On Fire in bursts.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:28 pm

I dug a little of Comets On Fire, and I honestly may need to revist them at some point...... I bought a couple of their records and they made their way to the used bin but who knows....... I mean there's definitely some cool stuff coming out these days, Psychic Paramount, White Hills, Gnod, Silvester Anfang II, Espers..... but most of what's being labelled as "retro-psych" is pretty bland...... just my $.02
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:52 pm

retinal orbita wrote:I dug a little of Comets On Fire, and I honestly may need to revist them at some point...... I bought a couple of their records and they made their way to the used bin but who knows....... I mean there's definitely some cool stuff coming out these days, Psychic Paramount, White Hills, Gnod, Silvester Anfang II, Espers..... but most of what's being labelled as "retro-psych" is pretty bland...... just my $.02

I like your 2¢. Your beat is nice.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Redwood Cephalopod » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:37 pm

The Ecstasy of St. Theresa - Sussurate LP, fluidtrance centauri EP and most of all the Pigment EP. Casey (Thrushes) will back me on this, one of the best shoegaze releases ever.

Tears Run Rings - Slowdivey, very airy, but not annoylingly derivative. Beautiful stuff.

Drop Nineteens have a few bangers on the Delaware record, but their other record stuff is AWFUL indie. And I love indie, by and large. Their second record is not gaze in the least and offensively bad. The band's demos, though, are totally dope.

C'est La Mort are newer and from around here (Seattle). Slowdivey stuff with a gothic bent and Cure basslines. Dig it.

Golden Gardens are also from Seattle (and Florida). Early Slowdive + Cranes-style vocals.

Whirr (formerly Whirl) are one of the greatest shoegaze bands of the new deluge. Their Distressor EP is immaculate.

Weed Hounds sound Slumberland Recordsy as hell and have put out a demo, a 7" and a split 7". Way good.

Starflyer 59's Silver record is pretty perfect, IMO, and REALLY heavy for being an alternative band in 1993. 10 songs, 30 minutes. Love this record to death.

SPC ECO are Dean from Curve, his cyuuuute daughter, and a dude named Joey whose collection of effects puts anyone here's to shame except maybe Dev (think that's his name? dude with a bazillion muffs?). Very Curve-ish indeed, but mannnn there ain't nothing wrong with that.

And Thrushes, obviously! :thumb: They aren't shoegaze specifically as vocals are very much intelligible and at the front of the music, but their effects/noise use makes their influences unquestionably clear. See'em live if you're on the east coast!
Nostalgist - Dark, heavy shoegaze
Redwood Cephalopod

involved
involved

Postby Blurillaz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Every band is an unpopular pop band
we
Blurillaz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby proroby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 pm

Blurillaz wrote:Every band is an unpopular pop band

For emphasis.

I feel bad for you if you get bored in 5 minutes with woodin shjips...

If you don't like Ride then you don't like shoegaze, I'm sorry but that album has more shoegaze characteristics then Loveless (not to say that it's a better album, it's not).
There's a snake in my boots. Someone poisoned the waterhole!
proroby

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby masked elwood » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 pm

WOW. way to shit all over avondon's thread. :no: that is just unkool.
maybe you should start a thread about what you don't like in life and we all can avoid it if needed. otherwise play nice and contribute instead of complain about the genre you don't like in a thread asking for suggestions.
jeeez. what the fuk is happening around here lately?
masked elwood

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:29 pm

masked elwood wrote: what the fuk is happening around here lately?

Well.. you see one of them suggested using a pine cone in a inappropriate way and gosh darn it, they all tried and now the things are stuck :whateva:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby proroby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Yeah Elwood, unfortunate cause I love the gaasze... and how can someone say they hate pop music then praise overproduction...

I love the shoegaze and got to check out some awesome bands I hadn't heard in the past!
There's a snake in my boots. Someone poisoned the waterhole!
proroby

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:09 am

masked elwood wrote:otherwise play nice and contribute instead of complain about the genre you don't like in a thread asking for suggestions.
jeeez. what the fuk is happening around here lately?

It's opinions bro, I'm sure this person can handle it......
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby theavondon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:15 am

Nope. Sure can not handle it.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music