Telecaster bridges

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Telecaster bridges

Postby DarkAxel » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:40 am

Hey there, guys...

well basically there's this problem with my tele's bridge - sometimes the screw holding the saddle just shoots away leaving the saddle just held down by the string, out of intonation, brutally untuning all the time etc...

it has happened a few times, even once during a show. I can't work with that

i have some noname yamaha bridge with six saddles, golden as the rest of my hardware (probably Gotoh). I'd be interested in change for a new one but i'm not sure wheter to buy a modern six-saddle again or the vintage one with three massive saddles

is there a change in sound? i know those vintage ones might have a problem with setting the intonation properly - is it worth it?
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Telecaster bridges

Postby univalve » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:50 am

Do you have pic of the actual Bridge Part at your Guitar. Makes it easier to say what will fit with minor work.
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:02 am

I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby devnulljp » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:28 am

Sounds like your saddle screwhole is stripped. You could just replace the bad saddle(s)
the tele guys all rave about the Callaham bridges. I put a Joe Barden in mine with Callaham saddles. I like it.
But I reckon you could get away with a decent set of new saddles, unless I'm horribly misunderstanding the problem.
Good deals done with all these guys
Canada, we put the "u" in satire
devnulljp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby karmablock » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:35 am

I think it's just filled with dirt.
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby DarkAxel » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:37 am

dev, i think you're right, BUT if those three vintage massive saddles would improve my tone (more twang?), i'd gladly replace it with a new bridge :)

plus there's the thing my current bridge looks pretty nasty and not in a good way... it's partially rusty and just seems weird...

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby univalve » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:52 am

Thanks for the pic.
The Easiest Way is to put some sort of "american standard" derivat As exchange saddle on it. There is a lot of stuff out there. I heard good Things about Graph tech saddles. I like the worn look of the baseplate and would keep it. For more twang i would switch the pickup to a single coil.
If you want Three vintage saddles you have to drill holes (See my other post when i found the thread.) . This would be my favorite Way to go. Buy a Set of brass saddles at www.rockiger.com . They are good. If you want to spend more money you can get Glendale, detemple, mentioned callaham, vintique and so on. I personally like Glendale.
Complete New Bridge: See Company pages (Glendale has no gold!).
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby univalve » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:58 am

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=16823&p=240591#p240591
Here you See in the pics the Drilling for the Three saddles Bridge.
Plus you Gould go back to six saddles. Nothing destroyed or irreversible.

What i forgot: New Bridge holes will likely Not fit the existing holes. If this is true for the String through Body holes it is a pain in the ass.
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 am

OK, so new saddles are probably the best :D thanks tho, i'll probably look into Graphtech

(the humbucker stays)

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:06 pm

I heard all the cool kids use Wilkinson compensated bridges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to Guitar Tech & Projects