Boss HM-2

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Boss HM-2

Postby Pirate » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:09 am

So I'm buying one of these off of a friend for like $35,is this a good deal?They seem to run from like $40 to $100 on ebay.Also can it pull of some shoegazy tones,and crusty punk stuff or is it mainly for like 80s metal.
Pirate

committed
committed

Re: Boss HM-2

Postby Blurillaz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:19 am

Bilinda Butcher uses one. That should be a good enough reason to buy it. :idk: It can pull off quite a lot of tones for different genres, the only reason i didn;t buy one is because it says heavy metal on it.
we
Blurillaz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:38 am

BOSS an interesting breed... can't keep quality up accross pedals (each line is fairly simmilar) Buffer.... Sometimes they get it, others not but more importantly do you like it? Play your mates pedal, see if it matches your style, if you like it, your snatching up a bargain, if you don't feel it, your gunna end up passing it on here or ebay.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Pirate » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:25 am

Yeah I figure if I don't like it I'll flip it.I've heard it used for the whole swedish death metal thing,you know peavey amp with the hm2 but thats not my thing really.What did Belinda use it on?
Pirate

committed
committed

Postby alterdcrash » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:45 am

im not a fan of metal,but that deal sounds like a steal :thumb:
alterdcrash

committed
committed

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:10 am

Actually, to me the HM-2 is really not metal-sounding at all. I've always found that it sounds more like grindy fuzz. I actually had heard that a lot of metalheads hated it, and that made Boss go back and redo the circuit, which became the Metal Zone.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blurillaz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Pirate wrote:Yeah I figure if I don't like it I'll flip it.I've heard it used for the whole swedish death metal thing,you know peavey amp with the hm2 but thats not my thing really.What did Belinda use it on?

Everything ;)
She only has 2 pedals, a HM-2 and a GE-7, as far as I have found, so whenever she needs some distortion, she relies on the HM-2. She has a little tiny bit of rack gear too I think, a Yamaha SPX90 and ADA Midi Preamp perhaps?
we
Blurillaz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pirate » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:37 pm

Hmm,she must use the hm-2 like a boost,because those ADA pre amps have a lot of gain from what I know,they're a pretty shreddy type pre amp.
Pirate

committed
committed

Postby Blurillaz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Pirate wrote:Hmm,she must use the hm-2 like a boost,because those ADA pre amps have a lot of gain from what I know,they're a pretty shreddy type pre amp.

I actually don't know what her rack stuff is, but those are in kevin shields behemoth rig... Bilinda said what she used in an interview once... He said "Heavy Metal pedal and two others." GE-7 is a guess too, because those plague Kevin Shields' board. Maybe te third is an EH-2 or Marshall Guv'nor?
we
Blurillaz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dexterecus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:32 pm

This is the late 80's/early 90's swedish death metal sound in a box. I really, really, really like that tone. Probably going to pick one up myself one of these weeks.
You just need a passive bass, a tube amp, and a metric ton of marijuana and Sabbath worship.
Dexterecus

committed
committed

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:43 pm

[holy thread resurrection, Jebus!]
I just got one cheap because the MBV/shoegazey thing. I get why people would hate them--distortion piled on distortion, blurs the sound, screachy and dull and the same time. I love it. All the distortion/clipping techniques in concert sound like a bunch of pedals stacked into each other, and not necessarily in a very finessed way. And that big, loose low end that it can push.

Pushed a Rat into it, and it stacked well tonally and behaved wilder, but wow, the HM compresses like a mother. Unstomped it and the Rat, which had the volume way more up than I usually do, just slapped me with volume. I'm going to have to see if that's a useful trait. Interestingly, didn't play nice in front of my compressor pedal.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Wes Mantooth » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Pretty sure Bloodbath used to use either the hm-2 on Resurrection Through Carnage and I love that old school death metal tone :love:

Snatch that up, if you don't like it I'll buy it off you :thumb:

Plenty of old Swedish metal bands used these too :rock:
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby counterdestroy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:40 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:Actually, to me the HM-2 is really not metal-sounding at all. I've always found that it sounds more like grindy fuzz. I actually had heard that a lot of metalheads hated it, and that made Boss go back and redo the circuit, which became the Metal Zone.

i have one, and this is pretty spot on. its a good little dirt box
theavondon wrote:On the same note, I only do post-gay. It's based on elements of homosexuality, but with different structures and dynamics. Oh, and lots of reverb.
counterdestroy

committed
committed

Postby Wes Mantooth » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:44 pm

After doing more research I found many metal bands in the 90's used this as a boost for an already distorted amp

So it could be a cool boost as well :idk:
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kbit » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:53 pm

You're from Rochester and you like Frisky Dingo; why aren't we friends?
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear