The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Netflix/Hulu/Prime Thread

Postby Warpsmasher » Tue May 04, 2021 10:26 am

Even more hyped for KAMANDI: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowi ... 79213e8e13
In under 10 minutes, Kamandi captures the breezy, high-concept goofiness of the comic and lovingly reproduces Kirby and inker Bruce Berry’s drawing style down to the last jot and squiggle. If you’re watching in full 4K Ultra HD, you can not only see the subtle transparency of the ink on the paper, you can practically smell Kirby’s cigar smoke wafting off of each frame.
...can't find a sneak peek anywhere, got to wait for the bluray to drop.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Tue May 04, 2021 11:16 am

Watched the new Justice Society movie that the Kamandi short will be attached to. It looks a little bit new/different/original in certain ways and places, but it's basically the same style they've been doing for the last 20+ years, and it has gotten stale. It is literally and so completely just another Justice League movie. Kamandi is gonna bring the freshness, and be cooler than anything Marvel puts out. I'm glad the real throwing down is going to start now, and I do expect DC to outclass Marvel at every turn once they hit their stride, especially if they continue recreating more comic book art styles as animation. If that's how it's going to be, I want to see Simon Bisley style Lobo, Jon Totleben style Swamp Thing, Kelly Jones Batman, John Byrne Superman, etc...
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 pm

I binged on the Showtime series Billions last week. It's not very realistic - in reality, you would have a whole bunch of federal district attorneys getting themselves disbarred in a hot minute, and a hedge fund manager going to prison on RICO charges - but it sure as hell is entertaining. First rate acting, too.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:00 am

We've been working our way through Peaky Blinders and absolutely loving it.

Also recently watched a couple movies that I really enjoyed:
The Peanut Butter Falcon was pretty funny and heart warming. I feel like Shia LaBoeuf can be pretty polarizing with people, but he did a great job in this movie.
The Rolling Thunder Review was actually really cool. I never really bothered to learn much about Bob Dylan before, but I've been listening to him a lot more after watching that movie.

Also, I tried to watch Clarkson Farms on Prime, but apparently I just really don't like that guy.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby behndy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 pm

i kept spacing watching Invincible, binged through it the other day. as someone who likes violent super hero stuff, Chef's Kiss. as someone who LOVES the graphic novel series, EIGHT THOUSAND CHEF'S KISSES.

all the changes were GOOD. updated some parts of characters that didn't age well, made them more palatable and/or interesting (Amberrrrr is a HUGE improvement). changed the whole rhythm by making the big reveal of Season 01 play out completely differently. works, and makes it feel like a distinct work compared to the comics?
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:13 am

Saw Dune in IMAX yesterday.
My guts are still rumbling from the loudness. Sonically and visually amazing, and it does justice to the book more than I hoped it to.
Also, first time in a cinema since 2 years ago.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:34 am

Dowi wrote:Saw Dune in IMAX yesterday.
My guts are still rumbling from the loudness. Sonically and visually amazing, and it does justice to the book more than I hoped it to.

Man, Dune doesn't come out for another month here! And it's the one movie that I am willing to go back to the movie theatres to see. Glad to hear that it does justice to the book!
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby friendship » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:09 pm

Reservation Dogs is very good.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:18 pm

yeah good to hear RE Dune. Not out here yet I don't think. Man, and loudness. I went to the movies last night and it was just a small screen of what could be a quiet film (Sweetheart, definitely recommend) and it was SO LOUD. Going to start taking plugs to the cinema because apparently I'm old and have garbage ears.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby echorec » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:21 am

coldbrightsunlight wrote:yeah good to hear RE Dune. Not out here yet I don't think. Man, and loudness. I went to the movies last night and it was just a small screen of what could be a quiet film (Sweetheart, definitely recommend) and it was SO LOUD. Going to start taking plugs to the cinema because apparently I'm old and have garbage ears.

If it's too loud, you're not losing your hearing yet. :lol:

I went to something 2-3 years ago, and it was insanely loud. I was getting fucked off with how ridiculously loud it was. It was taking away from the experience, because I couldn't get lost in the film. I think it just comes down to having inexperienced people working the theatre controls---like getting a bad projectionist who can't see something is misaligned.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm

Blade Runner 2049 was insanely loud, so I'd like to blame Hans Zimmer (same with Inception years ago), who's participation in movies in general can only be described as an affliction. Likewise, it doesn't help that most big screen action vehicles almost always veer into Zimmer territory, which is now synonymous with "epic" picture soundtracking, lest they be seen or felt as anything but.

I wanted to believe that a full capacity theater might deaden the overall sound, but science says otherwise, I'm afraid (also, please take Hans Zimmer's subharmonic rack gear away from him already).
echorec wrote:I think it just comes down to having inexperienced people working the theatre controls---like getting a bad projectionist who can't see something is misaligned.

Sadly, this has gotten even worse as digital has taken over, as the program cannot be interrupted after it initially begins, at least for things like subtitles and (depending on the film/distributor) fixed-level audio. With most of the bigger chains, they're tied to their runtimes, locked-in previews, etc., so the window to correct something is even smaller than in the 35mm days. And as much as I'd love to see Dune on a big screen, I'll just have to take some earplugs, maybe :cry:
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:10 am

echorec wrote:
coldbrightsunlight wrote:yeah good to hear RE Dune. Not out here yet I don't think. Man, and loudness. I went to the movies last night and it was just a small screen of what could be a quiet film (Sweetheart, definitely recommend) and it was SO LOUD. Going to start taking plugs to the cinema because apparently I'm old and have garbage ears.

If it's too loud, you're not losing your hearing yet. :lol:

I went to something 2-3 years ago, and it was insanely loud. I was getting fucked off with how ridiculously loud it was. It was taking away from the experience, because I couldn't get lost in the film. I think it just comes down to having inexperienced people working the theatre controls---like getting a bad projectionist who can't see something is misaligned.

:lol: fair!

But should have been more specific ;) garbage ears in that they have weird problems - though my hearing could be better it's definitely not getting worse yet :lol:

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby K2000 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:08 am

I thought Ted Lasso was bunk. The characters are mostly stereotypes and it’s way too cute by like double. A lot of folksy BS dialogue like “My grandpappy always said, never give a banana to an elephant” (or whatever) and then all the Brits roll their eyes at the rube Hahaha! It’s kind of like Forrest Gump, kind of lightweight but it’s a blank slate for people to project some deeper philosophical meaning onto, another reason to dislike it. But I don’t like serial TV, so YMMV. I binged season 1 (free trial of Apple TV, which looks really weak overall). When Season 2 was available, I decided to pass.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:57 pm

MrNovember wrote:
Dowi wrote:Saw Dune in IMAX yesterday.

Man, Dune doesn't come out for another month here! And it's the one movie that I am willing to go back to the movie theatres to see. Glad to hear that it does justice to the book!

Holy shit, just got back from seeing Dune. Absolutely did the book more justice than I was expecting. I loved it and I had really high expectations going into it. I actually really want to go see it again
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:04 am

Planning to go next week, after everything I've heard starting to allow myself to get a little excited :lol:

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion