Listening to musicians you love talk about music

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Listening to musicians you love talk about music

Postby Dandolin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:28 am

"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:34 am

Watched a bunch of music-documentaries in the last few weeks, i've been enjoying the long ones that analyze the background of some "scenes" etc.
I'm pretty sure these are not new to a lot of you here, but thought to drop some links anyway.

Murder in the Front Row (removed from YT :cry:)
Awesome documentary on the Bay-area scene etc, best one i've seen in a while: bands interconnections, venues, influences, funny anectodes.. very very recommended

Lo Sound Desert

Watched for the first time and enjoyed it a lot. Focused on the underground desert scene and how that sound initially started and evolved. I particularly appreciated that it just marginally touches the time when things got "big", but it goes deep exploring the background and what was(not) happening in the area.

Such Hawks Such Hounds

A classic, re-watches after ages. Not as interesting from a "scene" point of view, but the parts dedicated to Pentagram, Wino/The Obsessed, Sleep and High on Fire are :thumb:

Slow Southern Steel

Sludge, southern metal etc. The narrator comments are sometimes a bit generalist imo, but the interviews are enjoyable and it covers a good amount of bands, a lot of which are lesser-known (at least to me).

HYPE!

What can i say? i am a grunge-aholic so i need to watch this on a regular basis

I'm sure i'm forgetting something, anyway i have an ongoing list of docs to watch, but i'm open to suggestions of hidden gems (on youtube or not).

Also, I don't know why half of the documentaries on YouTube are subtitled in spanish :idk: :idk: :lol:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:16 am

nice trawl, Dowi :thumb:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:31 am

Dowi wrote:Slow Southern Steel

Sludge, southern metal etc. The narrator comments are sometimes a bit generalist imo, but the interviews are enjoyable and it covers a good amount of bands, a lot of which are lesser-known (at least to me).

Ah man one of the criminal exclusions of Slow Southern Steel is that the guy who made it, CT, didn't include his band Rwake in it (because he's a super nice mega humble guy, we presume). Rwake is the best, and should have been featured :!!!:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:55 am

D.o.S. wrote:
Dowi wrote:Slow Southern Steel

Ah man one of the criminal exclusions of Slow Southern Steel is that the guy who made it, CT, didn't include his band Rwake in it (because he's a super nice mega humble guy, we presume). Rwake is the best, and should have been featured :!!!:

Uh yeah? didn't know it was made by him! Great band btw, i thought they were from the NYC area. In the same way, I was surprised that Solace weren't included, but then I checked and realized they are from New Jersey. I guess I fucked up some geography. :erm:
I don't know why Kirk Widnestein wasn't interviewed but only mentioned.
It also struck me seeing Athon from Black Tusk (RIP). I saw them live when he was still on earth and they were super good.

Still, seeing it may have something to do with the fact that now i am downtuning my old guitar.
:rock:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:28 am

:rock: :doom: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:47 pm

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:43 am

Mostly just validated that they create song titles with exactly the same approach and level of effort as my bands. Good performances too
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:45 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:51 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Listening to musicicologists you love talk about music

Postby Dandolin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:58 am

Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:54 am

The best interview (monologue?) I have heard in a very long time. Everything you wanted to know about AIC is here, plus a lot of interesting things and anecdotes.

@goroth: if you red this - in the middle of the interview there's a long part about the friendship between Jerry and Eddie Van Halen.
Incredible, you should watch it.
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm

so, i was scanning this Matt Berry (yes, Matt Frackin' Berry!) interview in Guitar Wank magazine and thinking, "i'd really love to share this joy with my ilf comrades" but i am just too frackin' lazy to find the "free internet tts site" that is actually free so i can drop a neatly bundled audio file on yinz.

but trust me, this interview is *lit* when read out in the "hindi" voice on this site:

https://ttsreader.com/

so the choice is yours: block and copy the text in the nsfw and drop it into the field on the site, don't forget to choose "hindi" from the drop-down, hit play, and prepare to rock...
or don't and forever live in darkness :idk:

NSFW: show
A Matt Berry interview for guitar geeks

The moment it all started

“Hearing the album Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. Even as a 14-year-old I appreciated the dynamics he achieved with his guitar on that album. He created such an atmospheric foreground, middle and background sonically, which I still get off on to this day.”

I couldn’t live without my…

“Boss Blues Driver. It’s a boring and frequent answer, I’m sure, but I reckon they struck gold with that pedal. I believe, in some way, it helps every one of my guitars. The second would be an Orange Tiny Terror for sure.”

The one that got away

“The first guitar my parents bought for me was an Aqua blue Strat-style Kawai guitar. I have no idea when it was retired in favour of my Top Twenty, another second-hand cheap job. I wish I still had it for sentimental reasons, and to play and record the odd line just as a nod the past.”

My signature model
“If I did, I’d be too embarrassed for my actual name to be on it, as that may imply I reckon I’m a serious deal. So, I’d like a 1974 Sunburst Les Paul with a black scratchplate under the name ‘Derek Halloween’.”

The first thing I play when I pick up a guitar

“Just a D. I know a lot of players strum the Em but I’ve always been a D man, myself.”

The best advice I’ve ever been given
“The less notes you play the more will come out of the speaker.”

My Spinal Tap moment
“Lots. When recording at my home studio I’ll experiment. This might include opening the stereo overhead mics and then running to stand with the acoustic at four corners of the room, playing and recording the same thing. As I approach the third corner, I realise how Tap this looks, and how Tap I’m being.”

I’m in the band
“There are too many, but today I’d like to go and see The Doors at the Whisky a Go-Go in LA in the late sixties, the night they were signed.”

The first thing on my rider
“A new car.”

If I could just play one thing

“Certain acoustic claw combinations. I might be able to get it a couple of times, but the tricky ones I have trouble sustaining.”

Matt Berry’s new album The Blue Elephant is out 14 May on Acid Jazz Records.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu May 06, 2021 5:10 pm

I just read this in Steven Toast's voice so IDK if this text to speech thing will provide the same level of greatness.

EDIT: It was ok though yeah
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Thu May 06, 2021 7:13 pm

pardon my hyperbole, all in service of the larf :lol:

smoothest tts i ever,* but yes, hard to compete with Steven Toast, let alone Garth Marenghi.... :worry:

hmmm :idea: ...how much do you think it would take to persuade him to perform a few choice tts word banks? :snax:

*[it got really weird tho with the German/Spanish/French "readers"]
Last edited by Dandolin on Fri May 07, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music