Count To Five

Moderator: multi_s

Re: Count To Five

Postby Glitches&switches » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Cortex wrote:
tremulant wrote:
Cortex wrote:
That is why I made this little thingy for it - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B--6F_ ... sp=sharing

What in the actual fuck. Can you make a video of that thing in action?

I will soon, yes. This is perhaps a better picture - https://scontent.fbeg2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... 6462_o.jpg
It looks way smarter than it is, I've combined a 2 channel mixing circuit that has low pass and high pass filters on it with the expression pedal funcionality for the CT5. So, the CT5 is mixed with the clean signal here and I am having the mix control on the CT5 to a 100% wet. The Send A Kill switch kills the send portion of the signal to the A channel (CT5) so essentially by doing that it will trail off naturally. The 3 upper pots are expression pedal settings, and they all do the same thing, like 3 presets if you will, so I can go from standard delay to reverse octave to forward 5th up all by standing up and playing with the band. Obviously this is just an example, I basically have 3 exp presets to use with whatever is selected as controlled by the exp pedal on the CT5. The middle switch on the controller takes me back to the home exp preset regardless of what is selected on the low/high exp switch (that switch toggles between two exp presets right).
I'll try to get a demo up soon. Nothing mega smart in this of course, but it's very handy and, at least for me, it has enabled me to use it as a standard delay with tails and also be able to quickly fuck up the pitch of the repeats for very pronounced pitch jumps and whatnot - it definitely makes heads turn. I like to have the feedback very high and just leave it trailing off and while it's trailing off I then press the footswitches and change the pitch.

Such a brilliant idea, I want one of these! Sometimes there is a need to control the chaos and tame the beast!
Glitches&switches

committed
committed

Postby Seance » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:18 pm

This is probably a well-known technique...

...but I've been enjoying setting up the CT5 in Mode 3 so that Dir1 is set to normal speed
and then I fine-tune Dir2 and Dir3 so that they are "stopped" at the dead zone. I check to
make sure ahead of time by switching the EXP toggle to make sure Dir2 and Dir3 are silent.

...then I record a loop with the EXP toggle up (Dir1 only). I sometimes lay on a second or
third pass.

And only then do I flip the EXP toggle to the middle position and start moving the Dir2 into
reverse, really slowly. Often arriving at regular speed but reverse.

...then I flip the EXP toggle down to play Dir3 and slowly grind that to octave up or down territory.

Fun stuff.

Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Very nice! The Bye Bias is sounding fine and that technique seems worth exploring if I ever get another Ct5. (also, before I read the description, I thought the "crowd" shots were from DJT's inauguration :snax: )
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:29 am

Seance wrote:This is probably a well-known technique...

...but I've been enjoying setting up the CT5 in Mode 3 so that Dir1 is set to normal speed
and then I fine-tune Dir2 and Dir3 so that they are "stopped" at the dead zone. I check to
make sure ahead of time by switching the EXP toggle to make sure Dir2 and Dir3 are silent.

...then I record a loop with the EXP toggle up (Dir1 only). I sometimes lay on a second or
third pass.

And only then do I flip the EXP toggle to the middle position and start moving the Dir2 into
reverse, really slowly. Often arriving at regular speed but reverse.

...then I flip the EXP toggle down to play Dir3 and slowly grind that to octave up or down territory.

Fun stuff.

I read it 3 times before getting it :lol:
I also use to fine tune the speed of dir2 and dir3 but never tried all the process you described. I m gonna try it for sure tomorrow! :thumb:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hotfat » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Any update on release of the long rumored CT5 alternate(?) firmware?
Need a beta tester?
Is it dead in the water?
Comatose?
Just sleeping?
Thanks ...
hotfat

interested
interested

Postby Seance » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Dowi wrote:
Seance wrote:

I read it 3 times before getting it :lol:
I also use to fine tune the speed of dir2 and dir3 but never tried all the process you described. I m gonna try it for sure tomorrow! :thumb:

I find starting with DIR2 and DIR3 "parked" to be so much fun.
Great way to layer in some delicious loop soup.

:thumb:
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Mon May 13, 2019 8:52 am

So, today I was jamming with the CT5 in mode 1 messing with the quantize switch, and came across a super sweet delay with a sort of pitch bending effect (going up) that was like one of the best sounds I happened to come up with in the last months.
Obviously I moved one knob with the back of my thumb without noticing it and that sound was gone.
Forever gone.
Gone with the wind.
Gone with a thousand FUUUUUUCK.
Aaaand nothing, there was no way to find that sweet spot again.

:mad:

Long story short:
Just came here to say that I hate when this happens, but i've owned it since years (well, actually I had the older version until a few months back) and it's still capable of surprising me. :thumb:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby elefontpress » Mon May 13, 2019 9:05 am

A thought that’s been nagging at me: seems like one of the more suboptimal parts of the CtF interface is the Q switch. Since a hardware switch really just performs a single action (step forward through the options), and delivers no feedback as to where you are in the options (“which setting am I on right now?”), there must be a better interface element.

A stepped knob with discrete values seems like the ideal, but the space that would take up wouldn’t fit in the current enclosure. But I just saw Cooper’s new layout for the Outeard MKII, and it uses mini knobs. Not discrete in its values, but at least it indicates which value is dialed in directionally: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvt7N4wHG7Q ... pppbkofmyu

And it probably fits in the space.

The other thing it provides is persistence. Reboot the pedal, and you know the same Q option is dialed in because the knob is in the same position.

Improvement or not? Thoughts?
elefontpress

involved
involved

Postby MrNovember » Mon May 13, 2019 9:14 am

What does the Q switch even do? I'm still running a v1 without that switch and I've felt no need to update.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby elefontpress » Mon May 13, 2019 9:20 am

It chooses from a bunch of chromatic quantization interval options for the delay pitch shift.
elefontpress

involved
involved

Postby Dowi » Mon May 13, 2019 9:26 am

MrNovember wrote:What does the Q switch even do? I'm still running a v1 without that switch and I've felt no need to update.

elefontpress wrote:It chooses from a bunch of chromatic quantization interval options for the delay pitch shift.

Yeah, I used quantization a lot and that is why I decided to jump to the latest version a few months back. With the older ones (I think like the one you have) to achieve quantization you have to keep pressed the left switch and move the DIR1 knob
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Mon May 13, 2019 9:36 am

Dowi wrote:
MrNovember wrote:What does the Q switch even do? I'm still running a v1 without that switch and I've felt no need to update.

elefontpress wrote:It chooses from a bunch of chromatic quantization interval options for the delay pitch shift.

Yeah, I used quantization a lot and that is why I decided to jump to the latest version a few months back. With the older ones (I think like the one you have) to achieve quantization you have to keep pressed the left switch and move the DIR1 knob

Yeah that sounds right. I honestly haven't used the quantization all too much. I should check it out though
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Dowi » Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 am

elefontpress wrote:A thought that’s been nagging at me: seems like one of the more suboptimal parts of the CtF interface is the Q switch. Since a hardware switch really just performs a single action (step forward through the options), and delivers no feedback as to where you are in the options (“which setting am I on right now?”), there must be a better interface element.

A stepped knob with discrete values seems like the ideal, but the space that would take up wouldn’t fit in the current enclosure. But I just saw Cooper’s new layout for the Outeard MKII, and it uses mini knobs. Not discrete in its values, but at least it indicates which value is dialed in directionally: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvt7N4wHG7Q ... pppbkofmyu

And it probably fits in the space.

The other thing it provides is persistence. Reboot the pedal, and you know the same Q option is dialed in because the knob is in the same position.

Improvement or not? Thoughts?

I'm not much of a fan of mini knobs but in some cases they serve the purpose, and this could be the case. Surely it could give a visual idea of what kind of quantization is selected, then one could simply adjust it without having to cycle all the settings by switch, and obviously the persistence of the setting when rebooting would be a big improvement.
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby multi_s » Mon May 13, 2019 9:49 am

The Q switch also accesses other parameters in some modes by holding it up or down and turning certain knobs. You can see the full details in the manual.

Unfortunately the hardware for the ct5 is unlikely to change this year, since i am already building most of what we will have available for the foreseeable future.

For the Q modes its very easy to tell what mode you are in but just listening to how the DIR knob changes the pitch, also there is a longer led blink when you get back to the top of the list to provide at least some visual feedback. Not ideal but :idk:

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 am

multi_s wrote:For the Q modes its very easy to tell what mode you are in but just listening to how the DIR knob changes the pitch, also there is a longer led blink when you get back to the top of the list to provide at least some visual feedback. Not ideal but :idk:

Yeah, that longer led blink helps a lot when there's already stuff going on and I can't hear clearly what it does.
Still, I don't know how I got to that sound earlier today, but I guess it's part of the game
:hello:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Montreal Assembly