The RMA drawing board/etc.

Moderator: crochambeau

Re: The RMA drawing board/etc.

Postby ibarakishi » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 am

crochambeau wrote:
Any other embellishments one may expect to see in a stand alone preamp (EQ, etc) are separate circuits. Once I have everything working together I'll see what sort of phantom power situation I can dial, +24 will be easy, +48 might be challenging (without revising the PSU situation) because I don't want to put a voltage potential on the microphone shell.

Hopefully that didn't just dash your dreams, haha.

nothing dashed, sounds great. just was wondering about the eq situation if there was going to be basic controls of not for it
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm

ibarakishi wrote:was wondering about the eq situation if there was going to be basic controls of not for it

To be fair, there will be a low impedance output of fairly high magnitude, which is fertile ground for passive networks. So I'm sure something can be built in. Strictly speaking, this is just a building block.

I'm also not really developing this thing as a product line (for reasons stated much earlier), it's just something that exists because I personally needed it and none of the forms I could find elsewhere adhered to my target spec. That is not to say I won't build a few for sale, I'm just looking at it differently than full fledged RMA designs because technically speaking it's not. Won't stop me from tinkering a bit under the hood and having fun with it though, and I am more than happy to share my findings and/or knock a few out. No worries!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ibarakishi » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:23 pm

im excited
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:53 pm

Another unsolicited idea to a master of building from someone with no building experience. 'Active Filters' are on the RMA interest list... what if... you use the Polish chip... to do some sort of RMA styled filter voice? And pre-tetanus booster or some other pre?
We got ourself a frog in the pond if you know what I mean!
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 pm

The 3394 is an entire synth on a chip: VCO, VCAs (several, though only two paths are externally accessible), and VCF. It would be criminal to ignore the full potential of that IC.

I do have filters on my radar. I'm being a complete obstinate fuck about it though. See, IC filters are (especially purpose built ICs like the SSM2044/etc.) very locked in to a behavior. I'll grant that loads of people like that behavior, but at the end of the day, I'm not at liberty to run screaming naked through the fields having just lit my junk on fire - electrically speaking. It's very by the book. It's like souping up a car like crazy, but the laws of physics only allow you to drive on paved roads.

So, I'm not following that particular path at this point in time. I'll grant I could sniff around the base of the Sherman tree and find some existing IC and repurpose it to good extent, but - for a filter, I'm really hell bent on doing it discrete. And I assure you, the process will get ugly. I have some laughably stupid things in mind, it'll be great.

Regarding the 3394, it is a very enticing *utility* block, that will require me to level up on the coding front. There are several (shooting from the hip, I'd say about a half dozen) projects that are gestating ideas awaiting a sloppy birth through my comprehension and wielding of code (and before anyone offers their services, please understand I have within arms reach people who are very proficient in code, it's just the particular shape of concept derived is personal to a degree that I cannot simply relay it with language, and by the time I've correlated my wacky brain farts into a digestible form all I need to do is shift syntax a little and the code will be done...). Anyway, the 3394 is a fucking darling of an easter-egg to plant into some things, but I don't want to put the spotlight on it because... I'm a stubborn asshole. :lol:

Anyway, this post brought to you by a boilermaker and a bunch of punched metal.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:28 pm

So what you're saying is... there's a lot of frogs in the pond! I'm into it!
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Since I know you're into logic based routing... ever consider those clunky 8 way slide switches? Or is it easier to use a knob where you only get 8 positions (like knobs where you switch diodes).
For reference (clunky 8 way slide switches):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV9-XA5MPwY
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:07 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Since I know you're into logic based routing... ever consider those clunky 8 way slide switches? Or is it easier to use a knob where you only get 8 positions (like knobs where you switch diodes).
For reference (clunky 8 way slide switches):

I'll level with ya, I'm embracing logic switching because I want to reduce my reliance on mechanical nightmares. It's pretty easy to get a reasonably crafted two position switch for an inexpensive price, but as we place more demands on a switch something gives.

I don't want what gives out to be longevity, so the cost shoots up. I'm not in a position to benefit from bulk pricing on nice and fancy switches (one look at the tires on my car will tell anyone that), so I'm trying to engineer them out as best I can. It's a complex scenario though, as I'll probably get to in a moment.

To answer your question directly: It's easier to use a rotary. You can typically set a rotary to have variable stops (meaning I can order say 100 switches and set them differently to fill the needs of different switch types) and the metal-work for install is something I can do quickly and cleanly "in house". Sliders look cool (even when they're peeking out of a rough and gnarly gash in a case, though that's not my build style), but they are open to dirt and dust, and if I need 3,5, & 6 positions in a given build, that's three different parts I need on hand.

The downside with BOTH mechanical types is that if I want to go directly from state #2 to state #5 I'm going to pick up some transit noise and a probable drop out as I'm frantically ripping through states #3 & 4 while hoping no one notices - or hoping the ripping sound is musically useful. If say I want to actuate that transition 20 times a second I'm fucked, unless there's an element of control at play.

That control is where the big and gooey rat-hole opens up beneath my feet, and I'm currently lathering up in enough wet mud and lipstick so I hope I can pass the notice of some of the rat cretins while exploring their realm. I have plans.

Currently I'm using combinational logic in a few things. Anything that used to use a 4PDT footswitch because of either in/out stupidity or LED indicator issues is now a 3PDT supported by logic, so I can still offer a straight wire bypass and have other shit going on. Another example is one switch changing the behavior of another switch in addition to performing a side function, etc. Those are static states though, they are visible to the operator through toggle orientation or indicator color (Mudlark is an example here).

The downside with inexpensive CMOS switching is that they have a very measurable ON resistances, so I'm okay in switching stuff internally (where I can control through circuit design the magnitude and loading of a signal being switched) but once I need to reach out to rest of world, a parasitic 80 ohms in series with a signal or the absolute maximum allowable pass voltage can be a problem. So, there's still a bit of hunting happening on that front..

Regarding user interface though, where the rubber meets the road, my goals are a highly intuitive assemblage of robust and simple parts that interplay with each other to perform as more than the sum of the actual parts. I believe that will become more and more apparent as stuff is released after my digestion of the fundamental building blocks I need to get there.

All that said, I do know that there will be at least one instance of a rotary switch (or encoder) on something I am working toward in my typical slogging through mud fashion, but I cannot envision my using slide switches unless I fall into a motherlode of them and happen to have a mill sitting in my shop.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:30 am

Never got to thank you for the above. Thank you. Learned a lot. Another question.
crochambeau wrote:The tour is not over, I made some executive decisions on it that have elongated into a lofty delay.

I got enough feedback on the Stone Splitter to re-work the circuit. The PCBs for that are, according to tracking information, on a truck out for shipment as I type this. So, I aim to have a proper build of that in the box.

I suppose at this point I could jumble the contents and treat it as a new box, but I have some ideas for the next one that will take even more time, and I'm guessing shortening the delay is better than stretching it. So my plan is to keep this one more or less the same as what flew from the first. Apologies on sitting on it, there were also a few months where I was discouraging the notion of "advertising".

Anyway, onward and upward. This will rise again.

Does this mean production run?
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:00 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Does this mean production run?

For the Stone Splitter? Yes.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:41 pm

crochambeau wrote:For the Stone Splitter? Yes.

Me, Chank, and Dandolin (reaction in video)....
No spoilers cause no one here watched TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krzZjE83CKY
EDIT: I'm going to try to get one of these but I see there are limited pcbs and I already have 2 RMA devices so if other people get it instead it be what it be.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:27 pm

When u get ur stone splitter...
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:08 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
crochambeau wrote:For the Stone Splitter? Yes.

Me, Chank, and Dandolin (reaction in video)....
No spoilers cause no one here watched TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krzZjE83CKY
EDIT: I'm going to try to get one of these but I see there are limited pcbs and I already have 2 RMA devices so if other people get it instead it be what it be.

My reaction? Well, it's quite complicated, really.
NSFW: show

Nah. Not really.
NSFW: show
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:41 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I see there are limited pcbs

Balderdash!

I procure my PCBs through OSH Park, as it is my understanding that the actual manufacture of the circuit board is done stateside. This results in smaller batch quantities (due to cost). Small quantity runs also make corrections a bit easier, for when I overlook simple things like a ground path or power connection to a section (it happens more than I'd like to admit).

What this DOES NOT mean is that I in any way intend on these being a limited run, it just means they trickle out at a "one person building by hand" rate of speed. I spend way too much time on developing these circuits to limit them to a 10-12 unit run, so when boards get low I'll simply order new boards.

Eventually even these will probably enjoy DIY documentation and PCB availability, so that "one person building by hand" bottleneck may loosen up a bit.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:56 pm

I thought it was bird eggs but it's really like... FROG EGGS!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Rochambeau Musical Apparatus