Requesting help choosing an amp

Requesting help choosing an amp

Postby beefsupreme » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi this is my first post. I've been getting heavy into doom and I think ive outgrown my peavey mk4. Its been fun but it leaves a lot to be desired. Ibe been gleaning from these forums for a while now and I think ive got my options narrowed down to a few choices. Please let me know what you think but understand that times are hard for me right now, so id like to stay under 1000.

sound city L120. I know of one locally i could pick up for around 600 but what ive read here doesnt fill me with confidence.

sovtek mig. theres one on reverb for 600. ive played one before but never had time to dial in a sound.

peavey 5150. seems like it gets a lot of support in doom communities. as a peavey fanboy, i like the idea.

carvin x100b. im leaning this way just because of the price at around 400. people speak highly of it here. i like to play with pedals and this seems like a good affordable platform.

again none of these are like my dream amp youll notice theyre all similarly priced.
i have a sunn 2x12 and a peavey 4x12 presently.

thanks in advance. love you people.
beefsupreme

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Requesting help choosing an amp

Postby diocide » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:18 pm

I’d ditch the 5150 idea. Great amp, but not really for doom IMO.

Two amps to keep an eye out for are the Laney AOR series stuff, as well as the Peavey VTM

Either of those, along with the carvin, mig would be my choices.
diocide

involved
involved

Postby chamberpain » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:08 pm

It really all depends on what flavor of doom you’re looking for. For the Nola/Sludge doom, a 5150/butcher/vtm or basically any hot rodded Marshall sound will get you there.

But honestly it’s just like anything else, use what you can find that fits your budget and sounds good to you. You’re looking for high wattage to help keep up with the bass from your drop tuning (assuming you’re playing low and slow)
http://bastardsonsofajudasgoat.bandcamp.com

Successful transactions with Casavettes~Helter~Derelict78~ooop~DannDubbleEwe~WORMDIRT~space6oy~sergiomunoz74~duckworship~blakestree~doommeow
chamberpain

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:30 am

Absolutely would not pay $600 for the MIG.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jäke » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Likely to be an unpopular opinion...

But it seems that we’re in a “golden age” of pedals/effects that are a comparatively low-commitment way to give you whatever flavor of classic or modern amplifier you could ever imagine. That, coupled with the huge strides that solid state pedal platforms have made, make rig options wide open these days.

Your list reminds me of the types of amps I would seek out in the early ‘00s (and have actually owned a couple of those). My advice, don’t be afraid of embracing technology to get you to that sonic space — without having to deal with the hassle of actually owning/maintaining often fickle tube amps.
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby John Matrix » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:20 pm

diocide wrote:I’d ditch the 5150 idea. Great amp, but not really for doom IMO.

WUT
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Return to ilovedoom.org