“Legendary” Gear: Unreasonable Expectations

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: “Legendary” Gear: Unreasonable Expectations

Postby Jwar » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:55 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
Jwar wrote:I'm not sure I even want to answer this thread. LOL! I've done a lot of spending over the yeas and let's just say this, nothing is ever as good as its hype. Not in my experience. Not a damn thing.

You should go through every single thing and itemize why it wasn’t as good as it’s hype. You have at least 1 reader!

Hmmmm....can you remind me in a month? I'll be more free again and I'd love to actually do that.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:39 pm

It’s on my calendar. October 9th, year of Eivind 2019.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Ring a ding ding ding... A month went by?!?
Not expecting an update (I know what' up in your other thread).
WOW who else feel like me, a piece of garbage, that yet another month went by, and still complacent as fuqqqqqq...s h i t.
EDIT: WOW WHOA WOW I can't even blame anything being in retrograde. double fuqqqqqqq
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Ring a ding ding ding... A month went by?!?
Not expecting an update (I know what' up in your other thread).
WOW who else feel like me, a piece of garbage, that yet another month went by, and still complacent as fuqqqqqq...s h i t.
EDIT: WOW WHOA WOW I can't even blame anything being in retrograde. double fuqqqqqqq

there are 6 other planets you can blame though.. :thumb:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:41 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:there are 6 other planets you can blame though.. :thumb:

fuqqqqqq
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:18 am

Sort of relevant....
I actually still have the post it note on my knock off strat that say rickenbackers.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:24 am

So, I guess it depends on what you consider legendary.

The best example I can think is the Toneczar Echoczar. I love, love, loved my Toneczar pedals. They sounded amazing BUT! 1k for a delay? Are you fucking high? What's that you say? You owned one 3 times? Wait, no 4?? :) Seriously, the price does not meet the expectation. They sound killer and I'd say most of their pedals used prices are well within justifiable purchase ranges. The Dove for instance, OMFG, still can't find an OD that I like as much as that guy. Never the less, way too expensive. 18v all the way too which makes it really hard to do a pedal board. They are great, but the prices kill it.

I'd say about 70% of all the pedals I've tried that were hyped on ILF also turned out to be meh. LOL. I mean in the last 3 years. Before that, the hype train seemed to move differently because it was all variations of different fuzz pedals. LOL!

Hexe Revolver is a super hype pedal that just does not meet the functional needs for me that justify the price. I could get the same quality of sounds out of a pedal that costs half the price or less.
All the Meris pedals. They all lack something.
Empress all seem to be missing some character or something I can't quite put my finger on

I don't know. I feel like this will be a negative Nancy thread for me. LOL.

What met the hype??? Well, for me, funny enough, the EQD Life Metal even though people say it sucks (I think they maybe don't use it like I do haha). All Verellen pedals have met the hype head on. Fucking Laowiz stuff and Skully's stuff, The RIP from my homie Dropping Acid rules. The Atmosphere meets the hype IMO. The Nemesis. The Bitquest. The Purpll is killer. There is a ton of great stuff that has come out or been out previously that is ILF legendary and fucking killed.

Usually it seems like shit that is hyped on TB and TGP. Plus, modular. I haven't even tried it. LOL. I mean that Folktek thing but that's like a baby step. So I can't speak on that stuff.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby repoman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 pm

I was really really hyped when I bought my first Marshall when I was 17. I didn't know shit about amps or Marshalls aside from thinking "t00b Marshall=awesome toan." I think I was able to fool myself about how the amp sounded for a month before finally admitting it sounded like shit. That Marshall...was a JCM900 Dual Reverb. I can't even remember how I got rid of it come to think of it, I usually have pretty good memory about stuff I've sold.

The first boutique amp I bought was a Dr. Z Maz 18 after reading tons of posts on TGP about how amazing it was. I thought that amp sounded like salty dogshit too...I thought it sounded so bad I took it to an amp tech and finally sent it to Dr. Z to find out what was wrong with it, and nope, it's supposed to sound like that.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Haha my first experience with a JCM800 was very much "oh this is great this is why everybody has these". 8/10 would buy if I had the money to own that many amps.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Fuzz Factory. Years ago, when i was just starting to look for pedals outside the usual Boss, this thing was like the holy grail for a newbie like me.
When i finally got the chance to play it, it was the most disappointing thing ever.
Maybe right now i'd enjoy it more.

repoman wrote:I was really really hyped when I bought my first Marshall when I was 17. I didn't know shit about amps or Marshalls aside from thinking "t00b Marshall=awesome toan." I think I was able to fool myself about how the amp sounded for a month before finally admitting it sounded like shit. That Marshall...was a JCM900 Dual Reverb. I can't even remember how I got rid of it come to think of it, I usually have pretty good memory about stuff I've sold.

hahaha the JCM900 Dual Reverb combo was also my first "real" amp, and my reaction was quite the same, too bad i didn't had the chance to change it for almost 2 years (i was a poor student back then).
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Circuithead » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:10 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Sort of relevant....
I actually still have the post it note on my knock off strat that say rickenbackers.

LOL, well done. I remember losing my mind at the fact that one of my friends had bought a Gibson SG which I had wanted for so long, and thought looked so awesome (I still do). And so I dropped everything, hopped on a bus and stumbled through his front door, played it and it broke my heart. I could not get anywhere on that neck (still can't). He still has it and it's still his main guitar after 7 years, I just can't get comfortable on them SGs, unfortunately for me.

That's my legendary gear story. :excellent:
Circuithead

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:54 pm

I actually found it on my imgur
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:55 pm

I found this too
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:38 am

Oo that's a rare one congrats
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby repoman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:24 am

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Haha my first experience with a JCM800 was very much "oh this is great this is why everybody has these". 8/10 would buy if I had the money to own that many amps.

The 2nd Marshall I owned (like 10-12 years later) was a 1974 50w JMP I bought off CL for $600 that looked like it fell out of a car doing 90mph on the interstate and it made my whole house smell like weed when I turned it on but that amp lived up to the hype and was the best sounding amp I've ever owned.

(Although I took it to an "amp tech" to have it looked over and have him perform maintenance that he would think is appropriate for an old amp and when it came back all the magic was gone and it sounded completely neutered.)
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear