Frog Pond Delight: Amalgamation of Dungeon/Post-Dungeon|Pond

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Frog Pond Delight: Amalgamation of Dungeon/Post-Dungeon|Pond

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Don't even read the first few pages of this thread. We've gone full FROG POND
Welp a lot has changed since this thread started. It was about samplers, then became a thing, then we were on about pickles. If you can figure our praying and beating off at the same time, let me know. Now we talk shit about flippers in a mean spirited way. INB4 do you have anything better to do? I certainly DON'T ASSSSSSSS HOOLLLLLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Welp this thread became something different. New premise on page 2. Basically post stuff that makes no sense for you to get but you can’t shake the feeling of “wanting” anyway. Try to focus more on the “Why” as opposed to the “What”... I want to read your crazy gear, or not gear I guess :idk: I don’t judge... DESIRES.

Okay, different kind of thread here. VERY OPEN ENDED with lots of options. Mainly doing this to source other people’s workflows.

I LOVE samplers. Sometimes, I love a garbage sampler more than synths. With all the (and I mean one thread) threads about “if you could keep 1...” I thought I would try something different.

If you had a choice of 5 samplers. What would they be? Here are the rules.
1. You get to keep all the gear you have now and can always get other gear to compliment your choice of each of the five samplers you choose. So if you think “BOO HOO HOO! This sampler doesn’t even have a filter.” Think... hey you goofball! You already own like 5 filter pedals and a whole Eurorack system with filters. USE THOSE with the sampler. This is an additive process. Not subtractive.
2. Don’t worry about choosing a sampler with a ‘synth’ engine. Those don’t count. You can get those within the additive process. OP-1 loads samples. For our purposes you can pick your 5 samplers AND still get/keep the OP-1. Waldorf Blofeld loads samples. Don’t list it. You get your 5 AND a blofeld. Same goes for pedals that sample. It’s all fair game in addition to your 5 chosen stand a lone samplers.
3. Pretend price is not an option... but 3.A mention prices (retail, used, and street) if it affects your choice. 3.B. KEEP it within REASON. Like, if you say you would get a Waldorf Quantum AND a Sequential Prophet X, I am going to reply “Yeah... you and everyone else.” Although technically that would fall under Rule 1 anyway {they both have multiple synth engines].
Not a rule but 4. Try not to just list the 5, give reasons. Again, this is a workflow thing and not so much a number poll. You might inspired someone who overlooked a piece of gear.
Also not a rule but 5. It’s okay to list stuff you are curious about. In fact, I’ll start! (The first five I actually own, the second list is curiousities).

1. MPC 500 -> I have one currently... that one is my baby. My main sampler.
2. Boss SP 202 -> That’s my mangler. I would like to get a 12-step to trigger sounds from it as a source when doing live stuff but mostly, I mangle and then put the sounds in the MPC 500
3. Bastl Micro Granny AKA Fcknoise’s equivalent to Elaine Radique’s ARP 2500 -> MY FIRST SAMPLER. So capable. So beautiful... it fits on the edge of a fucking bookshelf!!!!
4. OG Electribe Sample -> Got it for $80 or something silly. I actually like the workflow too.
5. DIGDUGDIGY -> Lo FI Dreams. Ugly Casanova used to pump out tons of demos back in the day. I wanted one of these ever since I saw his demo of that.

Things I’ve considered for the right price (which to me is if I can get the right kit for under $250):
1. OG Roland SP 404 -> A dude is selling one for $250 in my county. Tempted.
2. SP 505 [BOSS] -> Dr. Sherm (DigDug) was selling his for $250 a couple months ago... I still kick myself for not snagging it.
3. Ensoniq ASR X Orr ASR X-Pro -> These guys are a different kind of sampler. They have the trans wave synth engine an sound great. They do sell on average for aroun $400 though, and I can’t rationalize that for some reason. They’re rather large too for table top units and from what I read... not the most intuitive to program.
4. Roland S 760 -> Daydream Sound just uploaded a demo recently. I’ve never heard of these but they look really cool.

So thoughts, comments, there is no end to this thread. It’s supposed to be like a sampler symposium. I may post some interviews from BOARDS OF CANADA cause they love samplers too. But they dig some of their samplers for the mangling and when those interviews came out... Dig Dug DIY did not exist, Bastl did not exist, etc.

If it helps, don’t think it terms of efficiency. Think in terms of “samplers are friends”!
Last edited by $harkToootth on Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 22 times in total.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Different Kind Of Sampler Thread: Silly, Sexy, and...SPO

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:36 pm

I’m probably going to bump my own thread, and probably change the title, with things that DO NOT HAVE TO COUNT FOR YOUR LIST.
This is not a sampler. It’s a sampling delay instrument :cry: :lol:
https://bleeplabs.com/product/delaydelus-2-preorder/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnpJhPwAW4
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Not Your Mother’s Samplers: You’re Grounded Mister

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:46 pm

These two also DO NOT count. You can have your 5 samplers AND these.
1. Ciat-Lonbarde Cocoquantus https://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/ - You fans of Hainbach already know what that is so I posted a different demo video. But... yeah.... it’s an instrument that happens to sample. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4KHdmqDLU0

2. Marbeau Synth Voicemail - http://marbeausynth.com/product/voicemail/. This is backwards logic but I decided it’s not a sampler but something that samples. Please don’t call my Grandma to tell on me. Marbeau Synth was originally part of Noise Reap. This IC is based on there Euro-rack module but as a desktop unit. If THEY WERE ever in stock... I would have one. No video demos. Just sound cloud.

EDIT: Oh hot fooey! They are in stock. Just ordered. Whoopsie Goldberg!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:17 pm

I had an es1 electribe and it sounded great but sometimes it would just... forget a bunch of the loaded sample hits and it only had stereo out. wish i still had it tbh.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:27 pm

For me it would have to be:
1) Digitakt - already own this an love it. Been using it lately as a weird drone/sample mangler by setting the ADSR to max so the sample loops forever
2) Octatrack - been curious about this since I enjoy the Digitakt so much
3) SP202/303/404 - been curious about these too. I'd really like to use them to sample/mangle/resample stuff
4) Qubit Nebulae 2 - also own this one. Really enjoy it for mangling samples as well. The separate pitch and speed controls are key
5) Make Noise Morphagene - also been curious about this one. It's a similar idea, but slightly different approach to the Nebulae.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:31 pm

@November - You get two more. As the grand master Misses Deputy Soy Boy, two of what you listed are modules (the morphogenetic is basically a tape machine too) so I am cleaning you with my ocular pat down.

Congratulations on the engagement by the way. You two always look so happy!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:29 pm

$harkToootth wrote:@November - You get two more. As the grand master Misses Deputy Soy Boy, two of what you listed are modules (the morphogenetic is basically a tape machine too) so I am cleaning you with my ocular pat down.

I had a feeling you'd call me out on the modulars. Here is my rebuttal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY0ngSByU6g
$harkToootth wrote:Congratulations on the engagement by the way. You two always look so happy!

Thanks! We are very happy and excited! It has been a long time coming
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby MrNovember » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Oh shit, nevermind I retract my rebuttal. I forgot about these:
4) Tasty Chips GR-1 - basically like a crazy standalone version of the Nebulae with a sexy screen. Been wanting one of these since they were first announced and am actually somewhat tempted to sell the rest of my euro to fund one
5) 1010 Blackbox - this gets a little close to the OP-1, but it is definitely focused on sampling and also features a sexy screen
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Haha, it wasn’t “calling” of modules in a ‘it doesn’t count sense’. It’s you ‘get to keep those too’.
The Morphogene does so much that it would be unfair to have it as one of five stand alone samplers and not use it for anything else. I would love it if they made a morphogene in a stand alone unit like the 0-Coat.

I meant to write “cleared” not “cleaned” :lol: :lol: .
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Daydream Sound did a video on the Roland S-760... and now they're all sold on Reverb and the 330 that was local to me for $150 is gone. :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSv4CtmY9fs

What is especially interesting about this S series of samplers is there is a connection device you can draw your own wave forms. The Roland DT 100 (the can cost you nearly as much as the sampler though, and I believe are somewhat hard to find). They also have an S-Video out so you can attach your own monitor (you can literally find a monitor with s video. Seriously. My beloved Grandpa and I were walking once and literally FOUND a bunch of monitors with s video, vga, everything. It was like when Frank and Charlie found a box of denim under the bridge) :lol:

This guy has an awesome channel. He's sort the resident scholar of the ASR-X and ASR-X PRO from Ensoniq.

This pretty much killed my GAS for another sampler (that I don't need). If I see one of these cheap (S-330 or S-760 or any others in the series) I'm going to snag one.

It's not the portable battery powered solution that most companies seem to be going but, it just so capable (multiple envelopes for the samples and the 760 has an LFO the 330 does not).
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Finding Samplers And Boiling Denim: A Sampler Love Story

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:16 pm

Grandpa and I finding things.

EDIT: I renamed the thread for the millionth time. Dr. Sherm, Echorec, and Psyre... I know you guys know your sampler history so I expect some (solicit some) uncoventional insights. For fuck sucks Doc... you make samplers! I know because I own two of them! (One is technically a granular looper) and I own not one but two of your sampler T-Shirts (the SP-303, I think Baremountain screen printed them).
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Finding Samplers And Boiling Denim: A Sampler Circle Jer

Postby crochambeau » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:05 pm

I almost piped up when the tread was operating under a different name.

The boiling denim pulled me back.

I own an MPC 2000xl and S900, I'd want to hang onto those for reasons (though 3U and 20 some odd pounds for 750KB of sampling would be tough to justify were it not for the Akai synth interconnectivity).

Third on my list would be something that has gobs of memory, so I can simply treat it as an always open sound library in hardware form. I'd be curious about offerings from Yamaha and Roland, in addition to my obvious Akai friendly stance. The only criteria is that it's got to be rack mount because I've run out of floor & shelf space.

Fourth and fifth would probably be more character samplers, EMU, Ensoniq, or some Soviet junk? Sign me up.

I can't really weigh in with specifics though, since window shopping and research on stuff I don't have just results in headache.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fever606 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:10 pm

1) SP-202 - for all of the reasons mentioned above.
2) Boss DSD-2 - stick it on an AUX bus and hit that trigger input.
3) E-mu EMax - because it was the first sampler I spent any significant time with and probably the one I know the best (aside from the DSD :lol: ).
4) Roland DJ-70 - S-760 with a 3-octave keyboard and "scratch wheel".
5) The "Sampler" instrument in Ableton Live - it's just stupidly robust and powerful.

I'll take the Coco bonus multiplier, though...
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby chromandre » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:42 pm

crochambeau wrote:I own an MPC 2000xl and S900,

perfect combo!

1 any MPC tbh currently own mpc2000 with fx-card and internal storage. I love everything about how MPCs work. aside from guitar these are one of the only things I can really jam on make a mess that eventually turns into a track

2 akai s950. currently own. sampler sounds lovely for every possible application... drums keyboard everything. still need a modern storage solution. I don't usually have the energy to fire it up sadly but if I have an idea this is the sample instrument of choice!!

3 the new chase bliss knobs blooper whenever that comes out. I dont really know what its capable of but it seems like somehwhere between a PDS8000 and an almost workstation, I bet you can make a lot of weird tracks with this thing.

4 elektron octatrack . any version. never owned and frankly have no idea what this thing is capable of, but if I ever had to delve into electronic music more I think I would just invest a lot of time with this thing.

5 mmm honestly dont need a fifth choice but lets toss in a sp303 or sp404 just to see what all the rage is about
chromandre

committed
committed

Postby crochambeau » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:05 pm

chromandre wrote:still need a modern storage solution.

I planted a Gotek floppy emulator flashed with Flash Floppy to replace the non-functional and obsolete DSDD drive in mine. It's a breeze once it's running, but that took splicing together a special USB cable, installing some temporary short circuits, and stumbling a bit over configuration; but there's a very good community in existence for support & ideas.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear