Instant lofi alternative?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Instant lofi alternative?

Postby Bearstripes » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:51 am

Just wanted to know what my options are. Can the warped vinyl cop them tones? Fairfield stuff?
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Re: Instant lofi alternative?

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:22 am

I don't own this but folks swear by their Zoom multi stomps. Here is the video of the MS-50G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSXu9z4tgfM

If you are patient you can find the actual pedal fairly discounted on reverb. Or Jupiter FX has the RGB which is slightly different but usually discounted. CooperFX VHS is also similar but different (but as opposed to the two former I listed, the price is inflated [still / maybe?])
Or maybe you already own a a vibrato, chorus, and a metal zone (use for the eq, and turn down the gain).

EDIT: You do not have to reinvent the wheel. Here is one DIY'ers take on getting that sound with more control -> http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/inde ... ic=22701.0
He essentially did a Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate into a Parasite Sonic Reducer. But watch out because the compression of the OG was too much for what he needed and you might like that (I find that feature enduring myself :) ).
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:51 am

Warped Vinyl Hifi is cleaner/smoother than the MKII & MKI. It has the broadest range.

Shallow Water is darker with less range. The best part of the SW is the pseudo-random modulation, which makes it sound less static and predictable.

I owned the Instant Lofi Junky twice and never really got into it.

I found the Pitch Pirates to be fairly inconsistent and could never quite match the demo sounds on Youtube.

The Snazzy FX Wow & Flutter can also give you warbled tape sounds in that area, but isn't as diverse as something like the Hifi. I sold my V1 and haven't really missed it, considering its price and limitations.

I've been eyeballing the Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe (less to tweak than a Chase Bliss and seems to be fairly immediate, in terms of interactivity and results).

Gen Loss prices are presently lower than they used to be, but I'm not sure when the next batch will be issued.

If you want a lo-fi, VHS-inspired sound, you can always roll the tone pot down on an instrument or pedal and then stick a vibrato at the back of your chain (VB-2W, Diamond Vibrato, etc.). Roll the tone back up and you can use it as a regular vibrato for brighter sounds, which many of the vinyl & tape-inspired pedals can't handle. There are inexpensive plugins for iOS and other platforms, too. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlQAh0uC880

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfY6qvrbLM
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby voerking » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 am

the Caroline Somersault seems pretty interesting, but i don't have first hand experience.
i thought the Fairfield was cool to use on mixes/recordings, but i hated how murky it was for actually playing guitar through.
The Earthquaker Aqueduct has a lot of cool waveform options, but the latency is annoying, and it's actually pretty hi-fi. you could always pair it with a filter, or EQ, though
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby Bearstripes » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:58 pm

My main goal is to just have one pedal, don’t want to add eq/compression after the fact. Would like to have it all in one box. How’s meet Maude for these, heard that if you set the delay time to 0 there is no latency and it has a similar vibe. Any one have any experience with that?
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby alexsga » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:19 pm

alexsga

experienced
experienced

Postby echorec » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Bearstripes wrote:How’s meet Maude for these, heard that if you set the delay time to 0 there is no latency and it has a similar vibe. Any one have any experience with that?

The SW's modulation derived from the Meet Maude. I don't think any of the Fairfield pedals employ analog to digital conversion, so latency shouldn't be a factor.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:43 pm

Warped Vinyl would be the best alternative (CB engineered the original Lo Fi Junky, FWIW) primarily for the extreme amount options it offers.

If you want to go cheaper than a Zoom MS-50G, the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble is highly underrated, though perhaps not as extreme as the others (bonus: stereo wet/dry).

There are probably four or five other threads just like this one, but the search function is being iffy at the moment. Mostly, they point to the Generation Loss, the Zoom & the WV, from what I can recall

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby duffmcshark » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:09 pm

A lofi-ish delay set to 100% wet, no feedback, and the shortest delay time possible can get in the neighborhood.
duffmcshark

involved
involved

Postby voerking » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:09 pm

here's another one:

i have no first hand experience, but the clips sound cool
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:34 pm

Someone actually just offered me a trade for one of them woozys but I’m not digging it too much.

I am really diggin the meet Maude tho, dunno why.

Does any one know if it can nail those tones. The one demo I have seen where they max the time and use it as a chorus/vibrato seem close but I’m trying to hear from anyone else’s experience.

I just got an offer for a gen loss so may jus scoop that but wanna get more opinions on the Maude/what ever else
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby oscillofuzz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:54 pm

coupleonapkins wrote:Image

I can't stop looking at the girl in this .gif :love:

Now, to contribute to the thread...

I dig the idea behind the no-knob Mid-Fi random vibrato. It's subtle but noticeable and not as predictable as straightforward lfo-based mod pedals get.
The Howl Ensemble - Bandcamp - Facebook - Instagram - Soundcloud -
oscillofuzz

committed
committed

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:08 pm

Yea that things is neat but honestly for the price I would just want a little control. Like I think the idea is cool and all but yea
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm

Bearstripes wrote:Yea that things is neat but honestly for the price I would just want a little control. Like I think the idea is cool and all but yea

It's no secret I'm a huge Mid-Fi electronics fan but I do agree with you on that.

So, I haven't looked but surely Mooer, Donner, or Nux have made some 'lo-fi' junky type setting on one of their cheap pedals right? I haven't looked at any of these brands since 2016 and I'm not curious enough to look. 3 years though? Has to be something.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tabcantab » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:36 pm

coupleonapkins wrote:If you want to go cheaper than a Zoom MS-50G, the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble is highly underrated, though perhaps not as extreme as the others (bonus: stereo wet/dry).

Came here to recommend the CE-5. Especially if you put a dummy plug in one of the two stereo outs, to turn it into a full wet vibrato, like so:

tabcantab

committed
committed

Next

Return to General Gear