Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby mr. sound boy king » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:I need to spend more time in this thread, y'all are doing some cool shit, I love it. :animal:

This is a very small accomplishment, but I finally made a truely evolving generative patch the other day. I can't believe it took me a whole year of modular to figure it out. It's remarkably simple. I think I was just focused on learning modules and creating textures/patterns.

Marbles + Mito = Mitorbles = Meat Orbles = Marblitos = wonderful combo. :hobbes:

What is your secret to generative patch? I have not been able to figure that stuff out.

Also LOL "meat orbles."
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:36 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:
Ghost Hip wrote:I need to spend more time in this thread, y'all are doing some cool shit, I love it. :animal:

This is a very small accomplishment, but I finally made a truely evolving generative patch the other day. I can't believe it took me a whole year of modular to figure it out. It's remarkably simple. I think I was just focused on learning modules and creating textures/patterns.

Marbles + Mito = Mitorbles = Meat Orbles = Marblitos = wonderful combo. :hobbes:

What is your secret to generative patch? I have not been able to figure that stuff out.

Also LOL "meat orbles."

I was clocking Mito with the t1 or t3 output of Marbles while in the Grids mode and having the deju vu set to let a new beat/rhythm enter the loop every now and again to gradually shift the clock source. I then took one of the divided outputs of the Mito and used that to clock the X side of Marbles at a much slower (and slightly shifting) rate and used that to modulate certain parameters of Rings and Clouds. But just using a gradually and infinitely shifting rhythmic pulse to clock the entire patch seemed to be the key. Marbles really does a lot of the work for you, and once I had that set up no matter what I patched it still ended up being generative so long as I didn't add too much. I think another secret of generative patches to not have too much going otherwise the cool dynamic changes, rises, and falls don't come through as clearly and just becomes a wall of sound.

Since it was mostly Rings and Clouds it sounded like a beta emily sprague/ann annie patch. Not as dazzling as theirs, but to hear Rings slowly and unpredictably escalate from really delicate and spaced out notes, to really frantic and more aggressive textured notes was pretty exciting. :!!!:
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby worra » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:17 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:
behndy wrote:
mr. sound boy king wrote:IN:

Beast-Tek Amoeba.

It is like if Grids took a lot of drugs. So far, I enjoy it. Big down side is it doesn't fit in my Make Noise skiff because it has a thick face-plate. Brutal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4nWqxFXr6 ... _copy_link

SEXY.

what size screws do you use? length, not girth. GIGGETY. the Knurlies have been long enough for anything i've used so far?

I've never been able to get Knurlies to catch on the Make Noise skiff. Am I doing it wrong?

You need the 2.5 knurlies
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:41 pm

yurp. sorry, meant to say. they only come in silver right now i think? but i got my 2.5 Knurlies from Perfect Circuit.

lol. they actually had in stock and shipped quickly.

also, SO interested in the Angle Grinder. annnnnd it also comes in black. as does Interstellational Radjios. so. both incoming.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Angle grinder is excellent.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 am

I HAVE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE.

they look like they will be pretttttty pimp together.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby codetocontra » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 am

lordgalvar wrote:Angle grinder is excellent.

Please elaborate. It looks rad AF.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:57 am

this is what got me SUPER moist for one -

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dark Barn » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:18 am

Angle Grinder is weird AF and my best efforts to understand what it is *really* doing have been confounded by excursions into the weirdness it can make. I have a suspicion that it only tracks 1v/oct at certain settings, despite having a 1v/oct input and not stating explicitly in the manual that this input only works at some settings. A great piece of gear but it feels strange to me, I don’t completely get it yet, maybe in a good way?
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:41 am

I gave up on 1v/Oct a long time ago. Nothing followed it close enough and I guess I'd rather just find a place on the osc that sounded good and then tune my sources. On the other hand, I do sometimes just plug in my keyboard and I didn't feel like the angle grinder was too bad at tracking over about 2/3 octaves. My ear isn't that good or fine though.

My main oscillators are cg xr22 and are near impossible to tune is part of the reason. It's probably why I prefer the microbe metaseq and that kind of stuff so I can tune to the instrument. Probably going at this more Serge like. Even when I've had oscillators tuned right, they never track very far. My first osc was an early endorphin.es that drifted a ton depending on power supply. My other "oscillators" ain't 1v/Oct really either (MN teleharmonic and mystereon).

I like the angle grinder because it has a lot of utility and harmonic control that I can CV by quadrant plus quadrature outputs. It's a perfect compliment to ring modulation, frequency shifting and all that kind of stuff.

The way the wave shaper works is fun for some quick rhythmic bleeps without a vca (playing with harmonic loudness). Running something like the mod box with the phased outputs can make some nice easy rhythms.

The mangling stuff is nice too, but I don't use it much even though I probably should.

Interstellar Radio is a pita. It's just a noise maker. I've never gotten that thing even close to demodulating anything haha. Well, I kind of have, but it took some setup. It's like noise on noise most of the time. I like it, but it isn't something I really need or see myself using to much. I'd prefer to just have two diode rings or modemix.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:43 am

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 am

If you run the 0 degree out as the carrier in like modemix channel 1 and 180 degree out into the modulator input modemix chan 2, then run another wave through the open inputs of modemix, it's kind of an old buchla 100 series frequency shifting patch.

Ring modulating two phase outputs (one with a waveshaper, like grind out) of the same oscillator can give a whole bunch of evolving waveshaping possibilities because of phase. Put a wave shaper on three different phases (like with toppobrillo) and ring mod them against each other in an evolving patch. Mixing or switching between the phase outputs can give quick timbre changes or evolving ones.

The supersaw idea from the schlappi video is also pretty cool.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. sound boy king » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:31 am

Ghost Hip wrote:explanation

Hey, thanks for the run-down. I think where I fall short w/ generative stuff is in the dynamics department. Need more... VCAS.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby mr. sound boy king » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:35 am

worra wrote:You need the 2.5 knurlies

:thumb: Thank you!
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:06 am

Thanks for your thoughts on the Angle Grinder. Seems real interesting but I have no room to try it right now.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear